Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I load for uncommon, obsolete, or wildcat cartridges

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Other, please note below.

Votes: 16 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shadow9mm

Saw a thread that was recently closed and it got me thinking along another line.

Why do you reload?

I started loading to save money, which was hard to do at the time, but I did break even on my equipment.

Now its a lot easier to save money, but my focus has shifted to producing really good quality ammo while saving money.

The reasons or combination that come to mind.

Cost savings
Precision ammo
budget ammo tuned to your firearm
uncommon loads
uncommon cartridges

so why do you reload?

rclark

One other reason is I am never out of ammo. When the stores are picked clean, I can still shoot .. and with enough components available can shoot for years.

I marked uncommon loads in cartridges because I like to load 'down'. Full house .44Magnum loads aren't fun. But 1000-1100fps loads are and do most of what I need doing. I can load that. Same with .45 Colt, I can load 'up' a bit if I want. Reloading brings 'freedom' to the table while store bought you are at the whim of the manufacturer.

jetinteriorguy

I started back in the mid eighties or so because I’d just gotten my first S&W model 57 no dash, even back then that ammo was expensive.

hammie

@Shadow9mm: I think all of your listed reasons apply to all of us to some lesser or greater extent. The cost savings is there, but not as significant as in the past. I just bought two, one pound canisters of H4198 - After sales tax, the total was almost 100 $. Primers, when you can find them, are going for 150$ to 200$ per 1000 piece brick. I just bought some bullets through the mail. It was 60$, delivered per 100 count box. If you've looked at reloading presses, dies, powder measure, etc., lately, the price increases are jaw dropping. Some will say that their equipment was bought years ago, and it is totally amortized. That's great, but that was then and this is now. So cost saving are becoming less and less significant, especially if you're just entering the hobby.

Reloading for uncommon cartridges is a factor for me. In addition to the common rounds, I also reload for .25 acp, 32 H&R , 38 super, .204 ruger, .22 hornet, .221 fireball, .222 remington (sadly becoming scarce), .257 roberts, 7x57 mm mauser, and .35 remington, to name a few. Loaded ammunition for those cartridges, particularly now, is nearly impossible to find. However, for me, ammunition availability is a fringe benefit.

The main reason I reload is for the sheer joy of it. I love the requisite knowledge, technique, and attention to detail. It's a great feeling of accomplishment to produce a hand crafted cartridge. Many of my friends accuse me of shooting solely for the reason of obtaining empty brass so that I can reload it. And honestly, I think many here have similar feelings. We reload for the fun of it!

Last edited:

Unkl Chuck

Started back in the '70's to save money. Now, several reasons: 1. To shoot obsolete or unusual cartridges. 2. To shoot wildcats. 3. Better ammunition. 4. I just like to handload.
Certainly not to save money any longer considering what I have tied up in presses, dies, gauges, primers, powder, bullets, etc.

RoyceP

My focus originally was on volume of range time versus cost. I couldn't practice as much as I wanted to at the price of factory loaded cartridges. As I spent more decades doing it, I became more precise, and accuracy became better until it matched even the best factory stuff.

Every time an inflationary event happens the factory ammo and primers and powder at the store get hard to find and expensive. Not for me.

Reloadron

I reload mostly because I can make better, more accurate ammunition than I can buy. Savings? Maybe in some cases, I can load 20 rounds comparable to 20 rounds of for example Federal Gold Medal Match in .308 Winchester about $44 a box, I can roll my own for considerably less and better fine tune the loads to my rifles.

Retired with plenty of time and I take my time. The whole handloading process is just something I enjoy. It's relaxing much like a trip to the range is enjoyable and relaxing.

Ron

hounddawg

Match ammo, Uncommon cartridges (6BR, 30 Gendel) and the most important aspect - the enjoyment of building it myself

FITASC

Save money; I shoot a LOT of shotgun ammo; even at my new cost per box of $7, it is cheaper than the "new normal" prices of $10 for factory - although my old cost was $3.75.........

reddog81

I chose just about all categories listed. It's also a lot more convenient to store components than loaded rounds. Prior to Covid I had a 4 year+ supply of components. it's much easier to store boxes of primers, lead, brass and containers of gunpowder. There's no way possible I could have bought and stored a 4 year supply of ammo without renting a storage locker.

tlm225

1. To shoot more for the same amount that I would spend on loaded ammo
2. To be able to shoot when ammo is scarce (yeah, I buy when supplies are plentiful and cast my own bullets)

hammie

@tlm225: Item #1 in you post is an astute observation, which no one has brought up yet. You NEVER save money by reloading. You just wind up shooting more. I guarantee it.

ocharry

yep i think i checked all the boxes except 1, but for sure the real reason for me is just the fun of making something for the gun that makes it work and group the best we can

i like to see very small round groups.....and i love the chase

ocharry

John D

Bought a Ruger Blackhawk convertible that shot 38-40 and 10mm. This was before cowboy action shooting and both calibers had limited distribution and were really expensive. Once I started, I found I enjoyed it and started adding calibers to my Dillon 550. I now load all the calibers I shoot except rimfire. The last set of dies I added were 7mm Mauser. Get a great deal of satisfaction shooting my own ammo.

stinkeypete

1. better quality than factory
2. load is tuned to my firearm for best accuracy
3. Loads are tuned to my purpose. For example, .44 special plinking loads in .44 Magnum cases, stouter cast .44 loads, .44 hunting loads from deer to moose... all on hand by simply building what I need from components on hand. Same with 30-06.. squirrels to polar bears.. possible with reloading.
4. Learning. I have learned a lot from reading, discussing with others, and experimentation about firearm ballistics and lethality in game animals. Theory and experimentation must go hand in hand for best results! I like learning.
5. Storage. My tastes change, so how I use my primers may change over the years. Primers and brass don't change, it's just how I use them.
6. I like unusual cartridges and learning what they are like. While I did not enjoy .357 Maximum, I am very glad to have fired some maximum loads! It's an EXPERIENCE. Same as with .454 Casull. You have to feel the concussion in your sinuses and have your hand beat that hard to really know what they are like. So, availability. My favorite now is .32 H&R Magnum, slightly "ruger only" loaded. Maybe Buffalo Bore has it? Cost becomes an issue at that point, too.

7. I don't want to be "that guy." The guy at Cabelas I saw last week moaning that they didn't have any .500 S&W or .480 Ruger on the shelf.
"Have you thought about reloading?" I asked him.
"No, I'm not crazy. That's dangerous," he replied.
I just nodded. For him, it probably would be.