Why do you need an "assault rifle"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM1967

Some answers for the question of why you need an AR-15/semi-auto/"assault rifle"/"assault weapon"

a) So that the government obeys the law and the will of the people

b) Because I don't trust politicians with my money or my life

c) Because that's what the military has

d) The people of previous generations struggled and sacrificed to give us the freedom we have today. We need to preserve that freedom for the future generations

e) Because an armed man is a citizen, and a disarmed man is a serf

f) Because exercising the right to bear arms is the only way to ensure all of the other rights. If we don't, they are not rights, they are privileges that we have only as long as the government decides we do

e) Why do you NEED your cell phone, instead of a phone on the wall of your kitchen? If you aren't willing to only have the technology of 1970, don't ask me to only have the technology of 1900

f) Because I'm willing to do my part to guarantee my freedoms and yours, even if you aren't willing to do your part

Good answers? What do you think?

g.willikers

Good answers for those who are like minded, i.e. the chorus.
But maybe (probably) not as likely to make sense to those who are not.
The so called progressives have been selling dependence on government for many generations now.
Those who have accepted it will never understand individual rights, individual autonomy and self determination.
Nor, by association, the very idea of a civilian population armed with what looks like military weapons.
So, the value of your answers will depend on who you're addressing.
Very well stated answers, though, for sure.

BarryLee

It seems to me a better strategy for defending gun ownership of any kind is to focus less on using them to keep the Government in line and more on the Constitutionality of gun ownership. Let’s focus more on the personal freedom aspect of things and we also need to be consistent in our arguments. There may be a lot of behaviors that I don’t understand or wish to participate in, but that doesn’t mean other Americans don’t have a Constitutional right to engage in those activities. Maybe if we seem a little less like serfs hoping for an armed revolution and just average people seeking personal freedom we might get more support.

JWT

True need has little to do with any of the guns I own including the dreaded assault rifle. I have them because I enjoy collecting them and shooting them. And also for personal protection.

GM1967

It seems to me a better strategy for defending gun ownership of any kind is to focus less on using them to keep the Government in line and more on the Constitutionality of gun ownership.

Yes, it's a Constitutional right, but if they don't understand why it's a right, they just see it as something that's outdated and could be changed -- and should be changed, in their eyes

Maybe if we seem a little less like serfs hoping for an armed revolution and just average people seeking personal freedom we might get more support.

And no one in their right minds is hoping for an armed revolution....we are hoping to deter government from ever making such a revolution necessary

FlyFish

Good answers? What do you think?

Yes, they're all fine answers, but I think none of them would make the slightest bit of difference to anyone who would ask the question in the first place.

BarryLee

I’m sure no one here is hoping for a revolution, but sometimes we make comments that might be misconstrued by some to believe that we are. Also, I suspect many of the rabid anti-gun folks have no problem taking our comments out of context and using them against us. Maybe I think too philosophically, but it seems a lot of people are becoming more libertarian in their views on personal freedom. I’m not referring to political parties, but to the idea of letting others live their lives as they wish. So, maybe if we seek to form our ideas within this framework we might win over some new friends.

Pahoo

Your call

why you need an AR-15/semi-auto/"assault rifle"/"assault weapon"
I don't and pray that I never regret not having one. To expand on the question, I really don't feel I "Need" any firearm. However, I hunt, teach and collect. There are firearms that touch a heart and I suspect the AR-types are in the mix. ....... :)

Have you ever opened up your safe and not walked away, feeling better? ... :confused:

Be Safe!!!

Last edited:

bn12gg

I don't "need" an assault rifle -- prefer to collect and shoot quality firearms sporting nicely figured walnut. Lifes too short to shoot ugly guns like AK's and AR's. But there is a butt for every seat in the final analysis.

David. ;)

str8tshot

Why do you need an "assault rifle"?

I think the question sets up a false argument. Why do you need a blue car, or an orange shirt?
The conversation is fun to have with folks who already agree with the premise that gun ownership is guaranteed under the constitution, but not helpful for those who strive to undermine our rights. I have found a more successful argument to state need is not a prerequisite for a right, then discuss the rights issue on its own merit.
I had a person who claims to be a libertarian ask me that very question. He had fallen into the mainstream media trap without realizing it. I responded with a bit of snark at first to show him how his question was flawed, then discussed rights and their limitations as an independent concept from any evil black rifle. The discussion went well.
I have never had a successful defense of why anyone should have anything, without the conversation turning to opinions.

(Edited autocorrect spelling mistake)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

44 AMP

Staff
Why do you need.....????

Some answers for the question of why you need an AR-15/semi-auto/"assault rifle"/"assault weapon"

Putting aside, for the moment, the legitimacy of the question, (I'll get back to it), allow me to play devil's advocate...

a) So that the government obeys the law and the will of the people

They: That's BS. Your guns don't do that. The law, courts, and elections do that.

b) Because I don't trust politicians with my money or my life

Sorry, you don't get a choice about that. The only choice we get is every two/four years we get to choose which politicians we don't trust....

c) Because that's what the military has

Are YOU the military? Do you do what they do?? You're not, and so you don't need military weapons...

d) The people of previous generations struggled and sacrificed to give us the freedom we have today. We need to preserve that freedom for the future generations

yep, and they did it without assault rifles. So, clearly you don't need one for that.

e) Because an armed man is a citizen, and a disarmed man is a serf

A meaning less political slogan that does not apply in 21st century life.

f) Because exercising the right to bear arms is the only way to ensure all of the other rights. If we don't, they are not rights, they are privileges that we have only as long as the government decides we do

You're making an assumption, based on flawed reasoning. Exercising your right to bear arms doesn't ensure anything other than increasing the risk to the public. Laws, courts, and participation in the political process are what ensure our rights.

e) Why do you NEED your cell phone, instead of a phone on the wall of your kitchen? If you aren't willing to only have the technology of 1970, don't ask me to only have the technology of 1900

ok, maybe I don't need a cellphone, but cell phones aren't guns. Nobody goes into a nightclub and kills 50 people with a cell phone....

f) Because I'm willing to do my part to guarantee my freedoms and yours, even if you aren't willing to do your part

That's wonderful! go enlist!....

Good answers for those who are like minded, i.e. the chorus.
But maybe (probably) not as likely to make sense to those who are not.

"probably" most likely to be dismissed out of hand by those who are not already in our camp on the issue.

ALL the arguments that use our right to arms as the last ditch resort against tyranny are simply not taken seriously by the "average" American. They're still true, of course, but that doesn't matter to most people. They don't see it as even a remote possibility, and automatically brand those who do as nutcases and wackjob conspiracy theorists, people who are not to be taken seriously.

And, to be honest, to a degree, they are right. In ordinary day to day life, our ownership of arms (even the evil assault weapons) does NOTHING to keep the government "in line". Nor, should it. Our ability for armed resistance is a last ditch, emergency use only, no other choice thing. The Founders realized that, too, and believed that by restricting the government's authority to disarms us (2nd Amendment), we would never NEED to use that ability.

This is a viable solution, has worked for a long time, but only works when the government believes the people might actually DO IT. Today, they don't believe that.

And neither does the majority of the public. They also believe that if we did, we could not possibly win. And since the "right of armed resistance to tyranny" is usually the first thing that comes out of the mouths of the real nutcases and wackjobs, who are seen as on "our side", (and we have plenty) using that argument virtually guarantees they will label you one, and then everything else you say is of no consequence to them.

Now, lets get back to the root of the problem with the question, as asked.
"Why do you need...??"

As soon as you accept that premise as valid, you have given them the advantage. You're on the defensive, arguing, trying to justify a need that they feel you don't have.

You were close with the cell phone argument. NEED has nothing to do with it, unless you agree to argue on their terms.

At the most basic, all that is needed for survival is enough food, and enough protection from the environment (shelter/clothing). Everything beyond that is a want. Even the "need" for freedom is not a real physical need without which we die.

The second point is why should you, or I, have to justify our "needs" to ANYONE???

What give them the moral (and legal?) authority to decide what you or I "need"?

Try this one, to turn it around on them, when they ask why you need ...an AR or...

Ask them how much money they make. Why do they NEED all that money??
Our government sets minimum wages, so clearly, that's ALL anyone NEEDS, right?

(don't allow distracting arguments like how the minimum wage isn't enough, that is a different subject, entirely.)

The point is that they need to see that NEED is NOT the defining factor. Tell them that if they want you to give up your property, in order to have any moral basis, first, they should give up theirs.

IF they do that, then, I'll listen...but what I do will be what I think is right, not what they think I ought to do, so they can sleep better at night....

There's lots more to it, of course, but you did ask "what do you think....":D

Lohman446

In an argument to curtail rights those who favor curtailing the right must provide logical reasoning to curtail those rights. Hypothetical possibilities do not count

buck460XVR

Most of my firearms are "assault" type weapons and none are a AR type platform. How else does one assault deer, turkeys, furbearers, upland and small game?

The few firearms that are not used for assaulting game are defensive weapons, used to protect me from bad guys.

Folks need to get over the semantics other folks use for gun terminology, right or wrong. It seems to be one of the biggest whines on gun forums next to the "dumb guy at the gun counter/range" type threads. g.willikers said it well, we are all like minded here on gun forums, and it's easy to get the chorus to sing loudly about imperfect gun semantics. But there's a whole world out there outside of TFL and other forums. Can we change their use of the English language, and is it really necessary? Will calling certain semi-auto rifles a different name change their feelings about them? I doubt it.

1stmar

My wife asked me why does anyone need an ar... so I took her to my safe:
First I showed her my ars and then explained the caliber, magazine and cyclic rate. Then I said supposed they banned ars...

Let's look at this.. And I pointed to my mini 14. Same caliber, same magazine capacity and cyclic rate. Ok, maybe they ban that too...

Then I showed her my m1a, would you rather get shot with this? I showed her the 308, same size mag and told her it was also semi auto. Ok, let's say they ban this too..

Then I showed her my Garand and 3006 cartridge, ok a smaller mag (effectively), but also semi auto.. Would this be better ?

She got it in spades.

P5 Guy

Good Response

I like to keep up with the latest and best technology, that includes firearms and ammunition. Sadly the GCA 1934 prevents some access to the latest advances in firearms technology.
Should there be restrictions on access to communications devices? Who doesn't want the fastest computer, high speed internet and the latest greatest cell-phone?

TXAZ

If everyone was trustworthy, loyal, helpful, courteous, kind, ....., then we might not need a second amendment.

History shows that to be far from true, particularly those who taste the power of politics or the press, and often use it game the system in their favor.

Frank Lloyd Wright made a parallel quote, applicable to journalist and metaphorically politicians:

“I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.”

Bluestarlizzard

I don't bother to entertain the question of why one "needs" and "assault rifle".

The 2nd Amendment says I can have it (and a lot of other things that some really bad laws on the books say I can't have) so, if I want it, I'm going to have it.

Debating "need" is a waste of time, especially considering most of those who pose the question are never going to take the time to understand the basic functions and uses of the tool in question.

K_Mac

“I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.”

First time I've seen this quote. It makes a good point. The old saying from English literature, "The pen is mightier than the sword", which might be phrased today as "The media is mightier than the AR15", certainly is relevant in this discussion.

Why we "need" ARs is not argument we can win, unless you believe as I do that it is ultimately for defense against tyranny. While that may be viewed by many as the talk of a gun nut, unless we can support that fundamental right I fear we will ultimately lose this battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.