Why do you have guns -- Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Dear Folkbabe,
Are you snowed under yet? The quantity of replies will *cover* you if you're not careful!
I need some help here, folks!

In Olde New England ( ), some minister stated that refusing to protect yourself was a form of suicide - or something similar. He was *very* strong on the Christian religion *requiring* us to resist evil (in spite of the phrase to the contrary).

Anybody have the true story (with reference) on that one? Please?

C.R.Sam

I think Folkbabe said she would not be back online till Sunday. We will have a book for her.

Without going into historical precident; I personaly feel that one who enjoys the benefits of a free society while maintaining a life of pacifism, does so at the cost of infinate amounts of blood shed by those who insured that person's freedom.

Those who would not kill exist in freedom by adding to the burden of those who are willing to die guarenteeing that freedom.

Free pacifist is a parasite ?

------------------
Sam I am, grn egs n packin

Nikita Khrushchev predicted confidently in a speech in Bucharest, Rumania on June 19, 1962 that: " The United States will eventually fly the Communist Red Flag...the American people will hoist it themselves."

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
jcoyoung,
Thank you! Exactly! Quoting from a "A Nation of Cowards".

(quote)
Although difficult for modern man to fathom, it was once widely believed that life was a
gift from God, that to not defend that life when offered violence was to hold God's gift in contempt, to be a coward and to breach one's duty to one's community. A sermon given in Philadelphia in 1747 unequivocally equated the failure to defend oneself with suicide:

He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one that hath no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God hath enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.
(unquote)

sgtar15

Why do I need guns? That's easy, response time!! It take me less than 10 seconds to get my rifles and protect my family. It takes the police at least 10 minutes to answer a 911 call( assuming I am able to get to the phone). 10 minutes is easily enough time for an attacker to permantly harm/kill a family member.

Folkbabe--obviously you have never been attacked were your life was in danger. Reason DOES NOT work with criminals. My wife was attacked/assulted in our van by a drunk who hid in the back. He tried to rape and beat her. If it wasn't for a man nearby, who heard her screaming, the attacker would surely have killed my wife. The courts sentanced him as a misdommener assult and only 3 months county jail time(due to the fact he was drunk and "did not know what he was doing").
Over the course of the next year and a half he stalked her at coffee shops and our house, even though there was a restraining order against him!! Ever time this occured we called the cops and his probation officer. They stated they eather didn't have the man power to deal with it or that it would be her word against his. This caused my wife (and me and our two kids) a lot of emotional harm. Finally, one day, he appeared at our house, drunk and with a gas can. As he approached the window, my wife grabbed HER rifle pointed it right at him and told him that if he didn't leave she would kill him right then and there. GUEES WHAT!!!!!! He hasn't been back since!!!

On the issue of GOD being in everyone, I agree. But if you believe in GOD then you know that the devil also consumes, entirely, the human soul. So if I kill someone in self defense, I am not killing the GOD inside but the devil in human form.

------------------
SGTAR15

Jeff Thomas

folkbabe, I'm only curious about whether you insist that others adopt your pacifistic views? If so, and if, therefore, you would cooperate in disarming those who would defend themselves and their families, then you are my sworn enemy. You would be what I call an 'aggressive pacifist' ... a dangerous human being, in my view.

OTOH, if you are a pacifist, but allow others to take their own stands, then more power to you. I can and will respect your views.

We could have a much longer discussion, and others will ... but, for me, the issue is this simple. Will you coerce others to accept these pacifistic views, or will you respect our philosophies as we respect yours?

Regards from AZ

Maddock

Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.
Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi, An Autobiography, M. K. Gandhi, page 446

Mike in VA

Pacifism is fine up to a point. Even Ghandi, who I think was pretty strong in the pacifism/civil disobedience dept., said the when faced with physical violence against oneself, and the choice is between cowardice and fighting back, one should fight back. I would further add that when confronting evil un-armed, one's only option for survival is flight, and evil is not vanquished by running away. Although most of us would prefer to avoid trouble and violence, sometimes the choice isn't yours to make. Take care & stay safe, M2

It seems that "folkbabe" is a well intentioned community activist. But, all kinds of evils are commited in the name of good intentions.

If you want to reduce domestic violence by taking everyone's weapons away, then start with kitchen knives. Kitchen knives are used in %80 of all knife homocides. Kitchen knives are readily available in every home. They can also be bought by a child at a grocery store for three dollars. Most people own many times more kitchen knives than they really need. They just have knives lying around the house for no purpose at all! Many domestic arguments revolve around the kitchen. A knife is right there to be grabbed in a fit of passion.
Some solutions might be: register all knives to the owner. You can only have one knife per house or per person. When eating, the people can share the knife. One person cuts while the other chews, and then they share the knife bewteen bites. It may sound like I am kidding but I am quite serious.
Another very effective way to reduce the ability of a knife to be used in a fit of passion, or to accidentally kill a child, would be to chain it to the counter. Chain the knife to the counter with a two foot chain. Just long enough to use for utility in that area, but too short of a chain to allow the knife to be grabbed by a child and carried off, or to be used as a weapon. Kitchen knives are also a favorite weapon of burglars and rapists who arm themselves after they enter your home. Chaining the knife to the counter would eliminate all of these fears and misuses od the common kitchen knife.
These kinds of things WOULD reduce domestic violence and knife homocides and they would make you safer. Is it worth it? Do you want me making a law and coming in your home and monitiring your knife habits? Probably not because a knife is a tool you use every day and it would greatly inconvenience you. You would probably rather live free and accept the risk that someday your kitchen knife might (very small chance statistically) be used as a weapon.
Thisis akin to trigger locks. It is really easy for someone who chooses not to own a gun to tell the rest of us how we should store our guns and how we should handle them. It is real easy when you are not the one that has to follow your own policy.
You know why you think it is ridiculous to chain kitchen knives to the counter and limit how many you can own? Simply because you use them every day and it seems like a huge hassle for such a small return of supposed safety. You would not want to implement such laws because they would affect YOU and how you choose to live. It is really easy to push your views on other people and tell them how to live when it does not affect you. I own guns, and I store them how I wish. There have been no accidents with them and no homocides, just like a over 100 million homes across America, very seldom does it happen compared to the enormous numbers of guns out there. A gun is a tool I use every day much like people use a pair of scissors. I will store it how I wish and handle it how I wish and until it has been proven that I (ME, Myself, not someone else) am not handling my Right responsibly, then I don't want anyone else telling me how to run my home.

We could also almost eliminate drownings by making a law that ALL people must wear a life vest around water ALL THE TIME. That means no more bikinis, no more tans, (unless you suntan next to a waterless pool). BUT, the benefit is that it would eliminate drownings!!! And, suntanning is bad for you anyway. See, we are doing this for your own good! We could save lives! Do it for the children. Certainly no one would mind this hassle and this infringment on their Rights to live and risk how they wish. T o most people, the risk of drowning is acceptable for the benefit of being able to be around water without a cumbersome, uncomfortable, and ugly life vest. Sure, a few people drown once in a while, but at least they lived free. Most people will accept that tradeoff.

As to "why do I need a gun", I refuse to answer that question.
It opens up a slew of question leading to dilemma. Are we all subject to qualifiying what we own and how we wish to live? Do you want me asking YOU why you need to own this or that? Do you feel that you should have to qualify to the government or to other people on WHY you need to own an SUV? (SUV's are deadly on the road, add risk to me, and they guzzle a lot of gas) Why you want to have more than two kids when the world is already overpopulated? Why you need a house larger than two bedrooms for a family? Why you need to own more than a half acre of land? Why you need more than one kitchen knife? Why you need a toilet that flushes more than 3.5 gallons? Why you can't just ride your bike to work, or get an economy car for the good of the rest of us? Why you need to own a baseball bat if you don't play baseball? (Anything can be used as a weapon, because we are a tool using species and weapons are tools), Why don't you wear a life vest whenever you are around water? It is for your own good!
How far does it go? I am sure you don't want me intruding on your life and making you verify why you feel you need the things you have. I am sure you would not want me coming in your home telling you how to run your home, and what you need and don't need. That is the kind f policy you are talking about implementing and it is all because you think you know best and you think that you need to tell people how to live because they are too stupid to know for themselves. You would push government laws to tell everyone else to live just like you want them to, and those laws are enforcable in a variety of ways that directly infringe on my rights (searching my home etc)

Why do I own a gun? Because it is my RIGHT. No more needs to be said.

CassandraC

jdthaddeus

Excellent post Cassandra and I think you speak for many of us. It is all about FREEDOM.

Let me approach this from the other angle:

Why do I "feel that I need to own guns"? Or, "Why do I know it is my Right to own guns"?

#1) I dont trust a government that does not trust me with my guns.
(Want to talk about murder of innocent life? Over 100 million people this century have been murdered by their government, often for religious reasons. This always starts out, every single time, with the government disarming the people's registered guns, "for their own good" of course. And, this gun confiscation is usually endorse by people who think they are doing a good thing for the good of the people)
The framers of our Constitution had it right. Read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as well as the Federalist Papers and see what they felt about the issue. They nailed it on the head.

#2) Because the Police only stop 5% of all violent crimes in progress.

This means that 95% of the time YOU and only YOU will be able to stop a violent crime commited upon you and your loved ones.
Police, with all respect and honor to them, are not there to prevent crime commited against you, and the Supreme court supports them in that. Our courts have determined time and time again that YOU are responsible for your safety and yet these same governemnt officials want to take away my means of keeping myself safe. Even if you were to call the Police and they decided not to come, you cannot even sue them. People have tried in court and failed. The Police have no duty to protect you individually (even though they will try, God bless them).
The Police take reports and try to reduce crime levels as a whole and they try to catch criminals AFTER they have commited the crime against you. If you are already dead or raped, it will not help you that they catch the criminal later.
The average violent crime takes about 30 seconds to complete. Average response time of Police Officers hovers around 10 mintes; 3 minutes if you are lucky. And that all depends on you getting to a phone, communicating where you are (in the midst of a violent attack), the dispatcher taking that info and relaying it to a Police Officer who then must break off from what he is doing and fight the confines of traffic etc and find you and help you. That is why if you depend on 911 and a cell phone to save you, you are living in a delusional world of perceived safety. Try looking up the book "Dial 911 and Die" if you want to read more.

#3) I LOVE to shoot! I shoot competetively and I hunt. Don't tell me that some guns are only good for killing people. I hunt and hike with a high capacity Glock semi-automatic handgun. I use the gun for protection from wild animals when I hike, and 15 rounds of 10mm protect me very well from most beasts as well as hoodlums. I hunt everything from deer to coyote with it. (Coyotes in my area are a rampant pest and they kill pets and children. I hunt them for the children ;) ...and for the $25 the State gives me for their pelts because they need to thin them out for public safety concerns). I also hunt these same animals with my semi-automatic black scary "assault rifle". Why? Because it is the most accurate gun I own. It is extremely well suited for the purpose, unlike what many anti-gun people will tell you. It just happens to take 20 round magazines which is more ammo than I need to hunt, but who cares, I use it because it is te best gun for the job and who is anyone to tell me how many bullets my Rightfully owned gun should hold?

Lastly, Folkbabe, if you know people who are criminals, engaged in criminal activity, using illegal guns, then you need to do something about that. I am appaled that you would support a community group that would want to take MY guns away when I am a good citizen, but you allow your friends to run around commiting crimes with illegal guns. Seems a bit hypocritical to me, as well as focusing on the wrong group of people.

Ps- If you need some statistics to support our claims, then by all means let us know. Victims are FAR safer protecting themselves with guns than any other method. We have scads of data to support these claims. Please let us know if you want statistics and sources for our numbers because we can very well back up our claims that you are safer with a gun with hard numbers that you can research yourself. I am confident that you have heard some erronous claims such as that "you are 43 times more likely to be killed with our own gun" and other such BS lies. We would like the chance to enlighten you to the truth on the facts with hard, researchable data that you can verify yourself.

[This message has been edited by jdthaddeus (edited May 21, 2000).]

Colombe

You seem to be looking more for answers to violence in our communities than for reasons for owning a gun. That is an excellent place to start. There is too much bitterness on both sides. What we all want is to have our children grow up to be healthy and happy and decent human beings. We disagree on how, but the goal is the important thing.

I'm curious what your thoughts on the subject are? Are they really so different from ours?

My only other suggestion at this point is involvement. With our kids. With our friend's kids. With our kid's friends. With the kid down the street that no one wants to play with. Kids learn more by example from actual people than from a million programs, no matter how well intentioned. You can't mandate caring. It has to be done by the individual.

I'd like to thank you for your attitude while you are here. You have been polite, although you disagree with many of the things said, and vice-versa.

Colombe

BTW. Gandhi was a pacifist. Regardless of what you think about anything else he did, I've never heard anyone call him a coward. And many pacifists have served in the armed services during wars and conflicts, particularly as medics. That's not a job for the faint-hearted. I can't disrespect anyone for something they truly believe, as long as the belief is sincere.

Keiller TN

C. R. Sam, maybe what you say of pacifists who are cowards is true, but not all pacifists are cowards. I think of Mennonites who served in the medical areas during WWII. They are pacifists because of conviction. I may not agree with their position, but I do respect them because of their conviction.

------------------
"The wicked flee when no man pursues: but the righteous are bold as a lion." (Prov. 28:1)

C.R.Sam

Keiller...we are not in disagreement re respect for the Amish beliefs, or Amish bravery.

However, for around 400 years they have bounced around the planet, starting in Switzerland with objection to state church and suffering persecution in several countries untill finding relative peace in America. America where others were willing to die in order that they may worship as they wished.

Though the several sects differ, one thread in common is their belief in nonresistance and refusal to bear arms. Therefore, their freedom is protected by others.

------------------
Sam I am, grn egs n packin

Nikita Khrushchev predicted confidently in a speech in Bucharest, Rumania on June 19, 1962 that: " The United States will eventually fly the Communist Red Flag...the American people will hoist it themselves."

Bud Helms

Originally posted by Dennis: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> "... Although difficult for modern man to fathom, it was once widely believed that life was a gift from God, that to not defend that life when offered violence was to hold God's gift in contempt, to be a coward and to breach one's duty to one's community. ..."[/quote]Is that not one of JPFO's tenant's also? I believe it is taken from the Talmud, although there are conflicting quotes and interpretations from Talmudic scholars on this responsibility. I think it is interesting: the parallel between the protestant preacher's assertion of the responsibility to protect one's life and the Talmud's admonition to be a responsible member of society and protect life in general. There is an analogy in the Koran also. If I run across it I will bring it here.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited May 21, 2000).]

folkbabe

Hi, I'm back. Everyone can celebrate ;).

Thank you all for caring enough to continue to post. It is good to see people who actually think about issues.

I'm going to structure this with one post to answer specific questions and any misunderstandings then one post to talk about general issues and ideas (that means the discussion about methods of resistance & pacifism and some other stuff).

First, RAE is correct that "gun violence" is a shortcut term which doesn't make sense literally. It's easier to say than "violence in which a gun is used" but from you alls perspective it is probably worth fighting over since choice of words is very important in shaping a debate or discussion.

I use the word toys to refer to the pentagon's advanced weaponry partly as a way to make what is a very serious discussion a little less so but also because that is, in my not so humble opinion, what they essentially are. We have a lot of "weapons systems" which even the pentagon says we don't need but which private corporations make a lot of money selling to uncle sam. Funny how it is always the congresspeople's districts where the weapons are built who push the bills. They are very expensive fancy toys because they are not needed. They do, however, look very nice on those VNRs that the companies send out.

JHS said: Folkbabe, you beleive that there is God in everyone. How can God rape God? How can God murder God? How can God stab God? How can God do drugs? How could God allow these thing to happen to Him?
Let's just say I have a different definition/view of god than you do. This isn't the place for that discussion but I'll just say that the "god" (or inner light or holy spirit etc) that I see in every person is most certainly not a "Him". :)

USP - It's nice to be here.
[with regards to Zimbabwe] This, in my humble opinion, is a clear example where the government enforcement and judiciary forces are no longer working for the benefit of the people and could be considered the enemy.
The people are not allowed to own the proper tools to defend themselves from the rioters and the government will not act sufficiently to protect life.

You seem to be reffering to the white farmers (the large landholders) as "the people". Don't get me wrong, the way the land takeovers are happening is very wrong and should be condemned. Mugabe is very bad news (deliberately inciting racial violence as well as urging the killing of gays as a way to rally support for himself). However, the land reform is, in principle, the right thing. The large landowners are NOT "the people". That land belongs to those who work it and used to control it before the British stole it. It is because I am a pacifist that I don't support the people using violence in order to seize the land back.

My reference to the "moral high ground" was more a reference to public perceptions than to internal beliefs. The reason the public was outraged when they saw people in Mississippi or Alabama getting beat up by sherrifs or the kids in Tianeman(sp) Square standing up against tanks is because they weren't fighting back with violence. These are examples of highly successful historic protests because they turned the tide of public opinion.

sgtar15 - What happened to your wife is terrible. I'm sorry you and she had to go through that. It sounds like your local judges don't take rapes, attempted rapes, and stalkings as seriously as they should.

On the question of having my life in danger (from deliberate violence not my brother driving too fast ;)) I think that's a very subjective question. I've been robbed at gun point (in my parents' "nice" neighborhood) by someone who was highly agitated because he was in withdraw (he was undoubtedly robbing me to get money for more drugs). At the time it was pretty scary but at no point did I think I was going to be killed. When I've told other people though they seem to flip out. At another point I was with a friend I grew up with (who doesn't share my beliefs) and he got in a fight with some people who then pulled guns on us. I got my friend to cool off and tell the other people he didn't mean what he said. The time I've felt in the most danger was when I was down in the bar district with some friends and some guys decided it would be fun to pick on us. It was pretty deserted where we were and the guys were very drunk and aggressive. One of my friends got shoved into the wall hard enough to have a concussion and we were all roughed up a bit. We eventually used humor to diffuse the situation and get them to let us past.
On the issue of GOD being in everyone, I agree. But if you believe in GOD then you know that the devil also consumes, entirely, the human soul. So if I kill someone in self defense, I am not killing the GOD inside but the devil in human form.
Not everyone who believes in something believes in your definition of evil (the devil). I strongly disagree with it for a number of reasons.

Jeff Thomas said: I'm only curious about whether you insist that others adopt your pacifistic views? If so, and if, therefore, you would cooperate in disarming those who would defend themselves and their families, then you are my sworn enemy. You would be what I call an 'aggressive pacifist' ... a dangerous human being, in my view.
That's a very complicated question and a good one IMHO. I certainly don't insist that others have the same beliefs or views as me as I think there are a variety of belief systems/religions which all hold value. However, I do work to make the world into a better place. Pacifism is an active word which means "making peace". This means building a society which is more just and where violence has no place. (note that this is NOT about your guns) I also work very hard against my government doing things in my name which I don't agree with. Among other things, this means working against the state-sponsered killings in my name using my money. The lessons of Nuremberg is that when we can know and see wrong, especially if it is being done by our own government, we must resist and work against it. Otherwise we are culpable. On the specific question of disarming people, I've said that I'm not here to talk about gun control. I don't neccessarily support it and I think there are much more important issues for me to be working on. (such as getting rid of the root causes of violence)

CassandraComplex - You seem to think I am arguing for gun control. I am not.
Anyway, As to "why do I need a gun", I refuse to answer that question. It opens up a slew of question leading to dilemma. Are we all subject to qualifiying what we own and how we wish to live?
I don't think asking a question as to why someone does something so you can understand better is such a terrible thing. You have the right not to answer the question if you don't want to. I can understand that if you are constantly asked the same question can get annoying but I try to use it as a chance to educate. I am very frequently asked why I live where I do and why I have certain beliefs. Sometimes the questions seem to imply judgement but I take a deep breath and figure maybe they'll learn something. (Although I have on occasion not done this... there's a certain question which I consistantly turn around so people can see how absurd it is. This is also a way to educate people.) On the issue of SUVs, I think asking why people own them is an excellent idea. People don't like admitting that they only bought them to look good (that's the only reason the people I know have them) and maybe they'll think twice before buying them again. ;) Same for the other things. Our "American lifestyle" is completely unsustainable and we're all eventually going to pay the cost of those SUVs.
I'm confused as to where I pushed any government policy or people "coming into your home". Asking questions can be a way of pushing a result (the SUV thing) but it can also just be a way to stimulate thought and discussion. They don't mean telling other people how to live their lives. (And yes, I do live with major organizations and people saying that how I live my life and what goes on in my home is somehow wrong so I know what it feels like.)

jdthaddeus said: Lastly, Folkbabe, if you know people who are criminals, engaged in criminal activity, using illegal guns, then you need to do something about that. I am appaled that you would support a community group that would want to take MY guns away when I am a good citizen, but you allow your friends to run around commiting crimes with illegal guns. Seems a bit hypocritical to me, as well as focusing on the wrong group of people.
I may not have been clear in what I wrote. To my knowledge, nobody I know has used a weapon in the commission of a crime. I know some people who engage in low-level "criminal activity" (ie, selling drugs and sometimes shoplifting). I make it clear to them that I think that these are pretty stupid activities to do and that dealing, especially anything harder than pot, is pretty morally questionable. They also are well aware I don't approve of their having guns. Again, I'm not trying to take away your guns.

Colombe: You seem to be looking more for answers to violence in our communities than for reasons for owning a gun. That is an excellent place to start. There is too much bitterness on both sides. What we all want is to have our children grow up to be healthy and happy and decent human beings. We disagree on how, but the goal is the important thing.
Exactly :)
I'm curious what your thoughts on the subject are? Are they really so different from ours?
No, they're not. People have kicked around a lot of good ideas many of which I agree with. I suspect you can guess which ones I disagree with :). Anyway, I have a lot of different thoughts on solutions and the ranking of importance varies from week to week depending on which outrage bothers me more at that moment. :) As an overall philosophy, I think we need a world where everyone is cared for and included, where peace and justice are living concepts we strive for daily, where community actually means something, where diversity is treasured, and where oppression and injustice are fought. I don't think there is one "right path" for getting there but fighting poverty and its effect is obviously an important step. The concept which feminism gave us that "the personal is the political" and we need to live our beliefs in our own lives is also important. (although this belief also can cause a lot of hurt when used to judge other people's lives) There are a lot of people working for change who I really respect. This ranges from my local catholic workers to musicians and artists. I don't believe that one group can have a monopoly on truth or good ideas. :)

C.R.Sam said: Keiller...we are not in disagreement re respect for the Amish beliefs, or Amish bravery.
However, for around 400 years they have bounced around the planet, starting in Switzerland with objection to state church and suffering persecution in several countries untill finding relative peace in America. America where others were willing to die in order that they may worship as they wished.
Though the several sects differ, one thread in common is their belief in nonresistance and refusal to bear arms. Therefore, their freedom is protected by others.

I'm gonna address war, resistance, and pacifism in a different post but I will just say that Mennonites are a different religion from the Amish not just different sects. For one thing, Mennonites are much more involved in the outside world in terms of working for social justice. And no, Quakers are not Amish nor are they Mennonites just because the guy on the Quaker Oats box is wearing a funny hat. :D (sorry, but you hit a sore point. ;))

Ok, that's all for now. I'll post more later. <g>

Jeff Thomas

folkbabe, I appreciate the response, but I don't believe you truly answered my question.

Do you support groups and activities that undermine an individual right to keep and bear arms? The rest of the conversation is certainly interesting, but as a practical matter, this is the bottom line. And, it is a subject that many in the anti-self defense movement are unwilling to approach, at least with honesty. They veil their work by usually offering that they 'don't want to take anyone's gun away', while they strive to restrict so-called 'assault weapons', 'Saturday night specials', magazine capacity, ammunition purchases, etc., etc. It is this lack of honesty, and ultimate aim, that so impassions many of us who demand the ability to defend ourselves.

From my perspective, it is like preventing people from employing CPR and other first aid techniques ... I demand the ability and right to protect myself, my family and other innocents until the professionals can arrive to assist us.

So, as a pacifist, do you work to help people understand they should solve differences without violence .... or, do you also work in support of those who would infringe on our ability to defend ourselves with arms. I think this is a straightforward question.

Thank you. Regards from AZ

Hal

Let's just say I have a different definition/view of god than you do. This isn't the place for that discussion but I'll just say that the "god" (or inner light or holy spirit etc) that I see in every person is most certainly not a "Him"

Good news/bad news huh?
Good news=God is coming back
Bad news=She's pissed
;)
wb folkbabe

denfoote

Folkbabe,
I missed the first of these threads.
The question is as I understand "why do you have guns?" For me the answer is simple, and SHE is sitting right out in the living room at this very moment watching TV. She is the woman I love. I won't go into the protection instinct aspects of this. I just know that it is real, and I will protect her with my Glock if need be. End of story.

folkbabe

Jeff Thomas - Sorry, I think I took your question a little more broadly and theoretically than you intended it. No, I am not involved in any group either monetarily or time-wise which is seeking any form of domestic gun control/restriction. I think there are more important issues for me to be working on. I have worked extensively in pushing the code of conduct for arms transfers and on cutting US military aid for certain countries, especially when that aid is used to terrorize civilian populations. One of the groups I am a part of may eventually decide to address gun control but does not at this point. IMHO we should not because there are other much better funded organizations working on that on both sides and we don't need to get involved. Does that better answer the question?

denfoote - the original questions (paraphrased) were
1) why do you own guns?
2) If you primarily own guns for self-defense, what else would make you feel more secure?
3) What steps can be taken to make our communities less violent?

[This message has been edited by folkbabe (edited May 22, 2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.