Why do Weaver Rails have Thin Lines along the top?

Runs With Fire

What is the engineering purpose of the thin lines that run center down the length of a weaver rail? The weaver rail has so many nooks and crannies in the design. So many little corners and angle changes. But why?

mj30wilson

The 1913 rail

The 1913 rail was developed by picatinney arsenal. I always thought the weaver design did the cross slots to avoid copyright and so that the screws would take the recoil force as the gun moved forward under recoil. Also it removed material and lightened the rail.

Runs With Fire

For the cross slots, yes. But All Weaver rails I've seen also have a bunch of little, thin lines in the center that run the entire length of the mount. My 4.5-inch rail has 4.5-inch long lines in the center 1/4-inch of the rail. Most do. Is it just for looks? And isn't the Weaver rail an older design?

Last edited:

LeverGunFan

It looks like the Weaver scope bases are made from aluminum extrusions, and those lines are produced by design in the extrusion dies. They may aid the extrusion process, but are likely a feature used to visually identify the bases as a Weaver product. Anytime you see a scope base with those thin grooves, you know it's an original Weaver base.

Sarge

Possibly to reduce glare?

Wouldn't be the first thing that was microgrooved for that purpose.
This. It is also why the typical old school weaver rail has the deep, lengthwise slot. Once upon a time nearly all sporting rifles had usable iron sights which were carefully zeroed before a scope was installed. If the scope became unusable due to accident or weather conditions, it could be removed and the hunt continued.

Pahoo

Possibly to reduce glare?
Wouldn't be the first thing that was microgrooved for that purpose.
More like "Probable" and if you look at other firearms, you will see that steps are taken to reduce the glare on this horizontal plain. Next time you look at one of your handguns, especially the SS ones, check our the top strap and top rail/rib. I know some handgun shooters that make modification to the glare.:)

Be Safe !!!

BornFighting88

Sarge hit what I was going to say. Companies like Williams, etc, do this so you can use the existing irons either in tandem with your glass, or if you have to take your glass off due to malfunction or whatever reason, you don’t have to go through the headache of ripping off the rail, too. Ingenious IMHO.