Why do we still like and trust SA revolvers so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubcedar

While I was commenting on another thread about SA revolvers I was struck by how many of us still would choose them first in a situation that a large magazine capacity and or the ability for a quick reload weren't likely to be needed. Most of the parts of this design were developed in the mid 1800's!

Think about it, we still use internal combustion engines and the basic design started roughly in that era but none of the people who designed those engines would have any idea how to fix a modern engine of any kind that they saw. Hand Sam Colt a Freedom Arms SA and he could operate it immediately.

Is it our familiarity with them? Is it the amazing ergonomics? Something else?
We all see that gun folks have a tendency to absolutely lust after the newest/best thing. Why does this design hold such a strong place in our trust?

Hammerhead

I think it's kind of like a modern day Samurai's sword. Classic, simple, effective.
I was watching a u-tube video last night of some nut trying to melt down a full auto AR-15 and all I could think about was getting a new Vaquero.

Targa

^^Classic, simple and effective....I like that. Plus IMO, there isn't a better looking handgun design.

Branko

Familiarity, simplicity of operation, ergonomics, style, nostalgia are all good reasons. There's that charm of having a functional gun from a different time.

g.willikers

The only SA revolver I have is a cap and ball .44.
If yer going to have an old fashioned shootin' iron, might has well have a real one.
Even having spent my formative years with SAs, for actual use modern guns have just become too ingrained.

Clark

I carry an LCP with laser and ~+P 380 90 gr Gold Dots in a desantis G5.
That handgun is so small it can share the right front pants pocket with a Benchmade Axis ComboEdge Griptilian Drop-Point with 3.45" blade.

That said, I keep buying revolvers.
I treasure them.

It is hard to like a semi auto handgun.

It is easy to love a revolver.

scrubcedar

"It is hard to like a semi auto handgun.

It is easy to love a revolver."

They do kinda give you the same feeling as having a good old dog don't they?

JERRYS.

when properly applied, the S/A revolver is a great gun. a 6+ inch SBH .44mag is a great woods gun. a NAA .22lr/.22mag mini revolver is a great little onion field gun.

rclark

^^Classic, simple and effective....I like that. Plus IMO, there isn't a better looking handgun design.
+100. And for most uses, you don't need anything else. I mean, if I was in the service, then one (or two, or three) of those slab sideed pistols would make sense, or for law enforcement. But for my woods, varmint, hunting, plinking, bullseye shooting, fishing, hiking, or house gun, ... a revolver works just fine. And for me the SA revolver meets my criteria for all those uses. Notice I said 'my'. At the range this afternoon, I just went through ~260 rounds, shooting .32 H&R Mag, .357, and .45 Colt, all out of Ruger SAs. Doesn't get any better and yes, I had poke them in one at a time, and push cases back out one at a time. Enjoyed every minute of it. SAs have lots of character. Lots of history, and proven. And as quoted above, ... for looks you can't beat a Single Action (until someone puts rubber baby buggy bumpers on 'em). But of course that is not the primary reason for owning a handgun. Some people even like the looks of S&Ws somehow and find them useful :eek: .... But won't hold that against 'em Ha :p . Different strokes for different folks and situations. All good :) . That said, when I CC, I carry a DA Bulldog .44 Special ... Only because it has a nice form factor for concealment. A 'utility' gun... not a 'fun' or 'pretty' revolver in the least.

Last edited:

rep1954

To me the 1851 Navy is the most natural pointing gun that ever has been designed for my small hands. Followed by the Colt SAA and the Ruger XR3. With most full size semiautos I can't operate the guns controls without changing my grip and at times they become very awkward. For a gun to shoot in single action mode my S&W Model 14 beats any that I have owned in revolvers.

tallball

I learned to shoot a handgun on a Single Six.

My favorite range toys and plinkers are my Ruger SA's. The plow handle grip works very well for me. They have good sights, long barrels, and I am more accurate with them than most DA revolvers or semi-autos.

I don't really care if it is slower to load and reload; I am not in a hurry at the range or when I am shooting cans or something. That is why it is called a LEISURE activity. :)

Slamfire

The original design provided a very compact yet powerful pistol.

The Colt SAA balances well, I like the grip frame size, it is easy to thumb cock. I can thumb cock and shoot one of these very rapidly, fast enough I would not feel terribly disadvantaged if I needed to shoot fast. It is slow to reload, but for a sport/hunting firearm, that is OK.

ElVaquero

Single Actions?

Yes. Simple,they really feel "right" in the hand, like they belong there; easy to use, attractive, classic, so "All American" in appearance, they evoke a sense of history like few other guns do.

NateKirk

They're romantic. They conjure up images of the old west, American and world history, heroes and villains.

What images does the modern pistol conjure up? Few to none for me. I pick one up and it's feels like a tool. I pick up my '51 navy and it feels like a part of me.

SaxonPig

They are nostalgic. They are fun. They look cool.

My first choice to defend myself? No. Second choice? No. Would I feel unarmed with one? No. Could I be at a disadvantage in some situations, like if I needed to reload or put some rounds on target in rapid fire? Yes.

Before you throw rocks at me for being a hater, check this out.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I also have an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk not pictured. In the past 40 years I have owned a total of 6 Colt SAAs, 6 Italian made clones, and 4 Ruger Blackhawks. I know all about SA revolvers. I know what they do well, and they don't do so well.

I am simply being realistic when I say the SA's day as the first choice as a defensive sidearm are long gone. Anyone who still wants to carry one will get no truck from me. Your choice.

Just be careful and not drop it while bouncing along in your Model A Ford...

jackmoser65

Spending your trigger time with a handful of good single actions is just livin' right. Banging away all day with the latest combat tupperware is just making noise.

I am simply being realistic when I say the SA's day as the first choice as a defensive sidearm are long gone.
Maybe for you. This has more to do with perception than anything. Do you actually shoot yours or do they collect dust on a shelf?

gyvel

Our love for the SAA stems from cowboy movies of the 30s, 40s and 50s, and the Saturday morning westerns we watched on TV.

I have one, and I like it for nostalgic purposes, but I don't really find it to be suited to the modern world where there are far better designs that are less prone to breakage. (And, in regards to that, I am only referring original Colt SAAs, not modern incarnations of them like Ruger.)

A Colt SAA would be far down on my list as a "grab and go" firearm.

As always, YMMV.

gyvel

Maybe for you. This has more to do with perception than anything. Do you actually shoot yours or do they collect dust on a shelf?

I shoot mine occasionally, as I have a fitted .45 ACP cylinder for it, but I can't ever see anything good coming out of it were I to have the misfortune of being in a shootout, especially if I had to reload it.

As always, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.