why do they cut cocking serrations in to the front of 1911 slides?

Kreyzhorse

Don't care much for the extra wide serrations on the Taurii, but generallly I do like them on the front of the slide. I'm left handed and whenever I rack the slide it's natural for me to grab the front of the slide with my right hand and rack it from there. Don't know why, but it just is. If the gun is in my right hand, I use the rear serrations.

Sevens

You aren't the only one, I don't like it either.
I don't care for the way it looks, and I don't think it's good form to put your hand near the muzzle of any handgun for any reason other than stripping it for cleaning.

I also don't find much of a need for a better way to "press check" a handgun. IMO, you should know when you have a chambered round, and you should know when you don't. If you have even ONE percent doubt, you should open your pistol.

If you think it's empty, but you aren't sure, you need to lock open the pistol.

If you are headed in to combat and you think it's loaded but you aren't sure, you shouldn't be headed in to combat.

MrClean

Don't understand it either. When we rack, it's a full grab since in stress your fine motor skills (grabbing with tips of fingers) leave you almost immediately when your heart rate goes up. I don't want my hand/fingers that close to the muzzle..... don't understand why you would even use 'em. But that's just me. :p

Tom2

One of those gun handling things that is maybe like a fad IMO. Then again I don't care for 1911 ambi safety levers or pinned grip safeties or full length recoil spring guides.

Hunter Customs

You are not the only one that does not care for them. I have many customers that don't want them when they order slides for their custom builds, I do not care for them either.
I know one guy that shot off the end of his finger racking the slide with a front hand position.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

CortJestir

There is a technique of unloading a firearm where cocking serrations on the front of the slide can be beneficial. With mag out and strong hand holding the pistol, finger off the trigger and indexed properly and muzzle pointed in safe direction, you put your support hand on the front of the slide, being careful not to have any part of your support hand in front of the muzzle. Rack the slide and in doing so, your support hand goes over the ejection port to catch the chambered round as it gets extracted. This is for folks who simply don't want to drop the round on the ground or have it go flying as its ejected.

comn-cents

They were started to help in “Press Checking" to see if there is one in the chamber. You may not like them but if you want a little extra grip while press checking they come in handy.

As for using them to unload a pistol, sounds really really silly to me... Sounds like it was made up because they didn’t know what the front serrations where for.

comn-cents

Let's see:
1. They're ugly
2. They promote unsafe techniques
3. They tear up holsters

1. I like what they look like.
2. I guess if you don't pay attention it is unsafe. Just like guns in general.
3. Stop buying cheap holsters.

They are there to facilitate "press-checking" which used to be taught as a method to check the chamber. You don't see this method taught as much these days though because many instructors are concerned about teaching students a method that places their offhand in close proximity to the muzzle.

Dabull

What's with all the "don't like my fingers near the muzzle"...you guys do have you finger off the trigger while working the slide right? I keep mine off the trigger even when I use the rear serrations.