• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Why do some threads have so many weird characters in them?

This thread in particular...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205313

I'm seeing a LOT of odd characters... TM symbols, pound sterling marks, copyright symbols, Euro symbols...

Things like this...

I’d

“aw-chit”

Denny’s

and so on...

In some cases entire words are virtually obliterated by strange characters.

I've also noticed this in older threads (as in years old) but the post above is laden with them.

Is it something others are seeing, or is it something going on on my end?

Glock 31

I see it to. Either the poster thinks it makes him look mysterious and cool (maybe mysteriously retarded) or there is an error in the way the internet explorer (or whatever people use) translated the post. Depends on the poster's settings I guess.:cool:

gfen

Munged escape codes or extended ASCII... I bet Erick wrote that in an offline editor then cut and pasted it into the post.

UniversalFrost

happened to me

In my signature the last quote suddenly started appearing with the crzy characters you mentioned. I originally typed it with the "" marks, but somehow it end up looking screwy. Changed it back to "" the other day and it hasn't reverted back to the screwy characters.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Quite often, when an article is cut from a website, then pasted into something like MS Word (which preserves much of the "style" of the original doc), where the person then includes their own comments, then cuts the entire thing and pastes it onto the posting box, you will see such characters.

Much better to use a simple text editor like notepad for such operations than a full blown word processor.

Mal H

Staff
I think tyme probably has a better answer, but I believe a font got switched around a few weeks ago leaving a strange set of characters for apostrophes, etc. in the database.

tyme

Administrator
That's unicode.

Once upon a time, there was One True Character Set, which contained 256 characters. All standard letters (without accents/marks) were below 128. Fancy latin characters with extra marks, pound symbols, etc. resided between 128 and 255.

So, after various people with non-latin characters in their languages started using computers, a solution was necessary. That solution was UTF-8.

Characters below 128 are the same as usual.
A string of characters above 128 are part of a single multi-byte character... in english writing, usual suspects might be a longdash or fancy quotes or a single quote or a copyright/trademark symbol or something of that sort.

There was a glitch a few weeks ago where the database was converted between character sets or something.

How many of these posts have you noticed? It only happens on posts that contained high-ascii (generally not a good idea on the web) in the first place.

It's only a small percentage of the posts, and it seems to primarily affect posts that are older, although I have seen it in new posts, as well.