why do shops build ar's and is this price right

lomaxanderson

hey guys i've been wanting an ar and was thinking about building one but after alot of thought i decided to get a bushy for my first one...went to the local gun shop to look,with the wifes permission of course,they had a new bushy for 1017 out the door..i put it on layaway... after i got home i went to bushy web page and did a serial number search .guess what sold as a stripped lower...went to the shop and asked and was told they assemble them in shop for cheaper but has all the same parts and warrenty is the same ...is this standard practice? i haven't even got it yet and i already want to build one...can't have just one...if i back out now it's only 100 bucks to restock it...what to do? also any ffl who do transfers in charleston sc area?:confused:

hags

It depends on the competency of the person who built it. I doubt Bushmaster would warranty such a thing. I would imagine they'd warranty the parts themselves but as far as function and fit I doubt it.
If it was me I'd stay away from that deal.

ShipWreck

U can buy nice Rock RIver Arms Ars for the $900-something range...

I wouldn't buy that w/ them putting it together...

joshua

When you say bushy it just says the brand, what model or features did you get? Some AR-15 builders that are very knowledgeable I'd trust them more than the factory. There are wannabee AR builders out there that can't get it right, so it all depends on the builder's experience and knowledge. Did you get a mil-spec or is it some type of custom parts special purpose AR? josh

Lycanthrope

They're hosing you if it's a standard configuration.

You can get a stripped lower and a Bushy parts kit and put it together for less than that yourself.

FS2K

I'd be kinda wary...

First off, you did real good by checking. I wouldn't have thought about that.

The thing I would worry about is if the rest of the parts on the gun were really Bushmaster parts or not. You would certainly be paying for it by spending $1017.00 for it. (Well, like Josh & Lycanthrope said, it depends on what configuation the gun us in.)

What does a complete Bushy lower w/ stock go for now, $250.00 or so? If they put a generic upper on it from say, Model 1 Sales the total of a standard Ar15 set-up like that would have cost them something like $700.00.

That's $300 profit for pushing 2 pins in to attach the upper to the lower.

A STAG Arms M4gery costs $950.00 and they are NICE.

lomaxanderson

hmmm...

the shop says it's all bushy...it has a bmi barrel 16" ,collapsable stock, flat top upper w removable carry handle, 30 round clip...not too many choices around here as far as places to buy from...some shops won't do transfers here cause they seem to be more intrested in raping you instead...anyone know a ffl in south carolina who will do transfers from the internet ...prices around here are high compared to what i've read here...i think i might rather loose the restocking fee instead of buying a "frankenrifle"...from the prices i hear on the web i could get a factory bushy for less than 1017...heck 800 for the gun and 100 restocking fee is still less...:mad:

WhyteP38

You can get a Stag upper from Stag and a Stag lower from Del-Ton, and the total -- depending on what features you choose -- should run about $800 to $850, including FFL transfer fee. You push in the two pins and save about $90. Been there, done that.

The only thing about Stag is that they do not properly stake their carrier keys. Have it properly staked, and you're good to go. And BTW, according to the folks I spoke to at Stag Arms, Del-Ton has been selling assembled Stag lowers since Stag first started. My one and only problem with Del-Ton is that they had the buffer tube screwed into the lower receiver one turn too many. I backed it out one complete turn, and all was right with the world.

Also BTW, you may want to call Bushmaster to see if they will warranty the rifle you bought given that the shop built the lower. A factory warranty that is good wherever you go is much better than a shop warranty that is only good if you live in the area AND the shop stays in business. If BM won't warranty the rifle, I'd fight the restocking fee with the shop, especially if the shop failed to disclose that THEY built the lower and that the warranty on the lower is THEIR warranty, not BM's. I guess a shop could make a lot of money selling the same rifle several times and charging a restocking fee every time.

1BadF350

I would not be paying for their dishonesty!!!
Personally I would get my money back...ALL of it. Tell them to shove the restocking fee.

skipjack

I don't think a restocking fee is fair under the circumstances. You put money on a "Bushmaster rifle", not a kit rifle assembled from Bushmaster parts.
it is disingenuous to list it as a Bushmaster rifle.

UniversalFrost

They are definately bending you over and giving it to you; and worst of all is that they are making you pay for it!!

I would shop around. I picked up my Bushy M4's (complete) New in Box for 900 and 850. The best bet is to check auction arms, gunbroker, gunsamerica, etc... for good deals. Also, check other dealers and ask distibutors as well. Many times the distributors are having sales and you can get a good deal if you FFL lets you have it near the dist. price.

Or you can pick upu a DPMS or RRA for a good price. Even an Armalite/Eagle can be had for a good price.

signbyjoe.jpg

USMCG_HMX1

The wife got my Bushmaster A2 Target for 922 out the door here in Idaho from Cabela's.

You need to shop around some other stores and see what you can find.

Kris

hodaka

I would dispute the $100. I believe they are being less than honest. I would recommend for you to buy a stripped lower, an assembled upper, then put the other stuff on. Stock AR triggers are typically terrible so aftermarkets are desirable. Pretty easy to do with no special tools and the detailed instructions are on the internet. You will benefit from the experience. I like DPMS, but I'm sure Stag and RR are fine also.

You don't even have to buy a stripped lower, in order to save money. Just buy the complete lower, then buy a complete upper. The FET is only on the lower, when they're purchased separately.

Edward429451

800 OTD for my complete factory A3 Bushmaster also. You just need to find a dealer with integrity.

Buglight must be a lefty I see.

Last edited:

RevolverLover

hey guys i've been wanting an ar and was thinking about building one but after alot of thought i decided to get a bushy for my first one...went to the local gun shop to look,with the wifes permission of course,they had a new bushy for 1017 out the door..i put it on layaway... after i got home i went to bushy web page and did a serial number search .guess what sold as a stripped lower...went to the shop and asked and was told they assemble them in shop for cheaper but has all the same parts and warrenty is the same ...is this standard practice? i haven't even got it yet and i already want to build one...can't have just one...if i back out now it's only 100 bucks to restock it...what to do? also any ffl who do transfers in charleston sc area?

I wouldn't shop there again. :barf: Get your money back...all of it. They said it was a bushmaster with warrenty but it was not. All bushmaster would do is warrenty the lower probably...not the whole rifle because it wasn't built by them.

WhyteP38

To answer the FFL question, Bud's Gunshop has a link on its website to find FFLs. You might also contact your local pawnshops. I have yet to encounter a pawnshop that does not have an FFL. Prices generally range from $15 - $25. Consider also any gun- or pawnshops in nearby cities or towns. Given the money you'll likely save, a half-hour to one-hour trip is worth making.

If you use a pawnshop, you might want to check out their ammo selection. Many pawnshops don't keep up on current prices, and I've found some real deals. I once bought some Wolf 7.62x39 for half the going price.

skipjack

"it has a bmi barrel 16" ,collapsable stock, flat top upper w removable carry handle, 30 round clip"

For an A3 configuration, you will likely pay closer to 900 than 800. Go to bushmaster's website and figure up exactly what you want. Then check the online auction sites, get your best price and take it to your local shop.
Figure $25 or so to ship and whatever they would charge to receive it.
Some online vendors charge a premium to use plastic; typically 3%.
Factor those costs in, and make a deal.

Most shops will do what they can to work with you; I know we do!