Why do people like 231?

Jeeper

I know that it is a versatile powder but IN MY OPINION it is one of the stinkiest dirtiest powders out there. I only used it for a little while when I started loading years ago but I couldnt stand it. I shot only indoor at the time and I can still remember the stink. Maybe it was just me. I know a lot of people here seem to really like it and I am just curious if you have had the same experiences.

Since the 1980s I've gone through around 20 pounds of it.

I don't notice any stink worse than any other commonly available powder.

It's significantly cleaner than some powders I've used, and not as clean as others.

Are you shooting cast, lubricated lead bullets, by chance? Lube smokes a lot worse than 231.

Jeeper

Mike,

I really dont remember what I was shooting at the time. I should give 231 another chance since it is so versatile in many of the guns I shoot. Now I basically have one or 2 loads for all my guns. I use a lot of Viht. I was just curious if anyone else thought the same thing because I figured it might be something like lube or my imagination.

I really don't think there's a better general use powder.

It meters well.

You don't need a lot of it.

It has a very wide working range for cartridges.

It's pretty clean.

What's not to love?

Mal H

Staff
I haven't notice the stink or that it is overly dirty either.

The only powder that I find stinks is IMR 4227. It always has a sickeningly sweet smell.

Jeeper

Once I get my reloading setup back up then I will try it again. I need some plinker loads for my 357.

stans

I like W-231 for light to moderate loads. I have used it in 9mm, 357 Magnum and 45 ACP. It burns a lot cleaner than the old Unique (have not tried the new version, Unique does not meter well in my RCBS Uniflow). W-231 meters extremely well for me and provides good accuracy.

at2000

I use it in moderate loads for .357 mag and .45 ACP. It meters well in both Little Dandy and Uniflow powder measures and, in my experience, it is cleaner than Unique. It does seem to produce less smoke in .357 mag when I use a firmer roll crimp.

mcrog

I guess Im with you on all counts. I started loading ipsc .45 acp 200 Gn LSWC to major PF.some years back with the stink and smoke also. Once you use a smokeless powder like Vith. or Tight Group you'll stick with them. I did. A fully jacked bullet helps too. DVC

Ben Shepherd

231 still much cleaner than the "new" unique. At least in my 357 and 44 loads.

Been playing with clays universal as per some advice on this board. So far, getting good results.

Gewehr98

Very versatile!

I've been using it for years in .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Steyr, .45 ACP, and .45 Long Colt. Only when I ran about a 1000 rounds a day for IPSC did I switch over to WST, even then I still keep a pound or two of 231 around the bench.