Why do bolt actions have such low cap mags?

simonrichter

From the very beginning of my interest in firearms I used to wonder why most bolt action rifles have relatively low cap mags...? I used to own a Lee Enfield with a 10 rd box magazine, but nowadays, looking for a new rifle, all the common maker's models I found had at best five, some four or even just three round mags.

Given that I checked websites in different countries, it does not seem to be a legal issue, yet I also could not imagine any technical problem in including a higher capacity. After all, semi-auto and assault rifles doubtlessly comprise far more complex constructions, still mags with 10rds and much higher are not a big deal there...

So what is the purpose of under-capacitating bolt action rifles, if any?

texgunner

It probably has a lot to do with aesthetics. Not having a long magazine hanging out the bottom of the rifle gives it a sleeker look. On military rifles like the Lee-Enfield or Mosin looks don't matter.

allaroundhunter

Because they want to keep the rifle looking streamlined rather than have a huge magazine hanging out the bottom. 99.9% of bolt action rifles that are sold are used for hunting, so there really is no need for them to have a capacity of more than 4 or 5 rounds.

PetahW

Battle rifles, like the Enfield, usually have a large magazine capacity so they can................. do battle. :p

Sporting rifles, OTOH, are not generally meant for battle - they are meant to give game a sporting chance (IOW, it's a good thing the game animals aren't armed).

Some sporting rifles take the "sporting" aspect even further - as a single-shot rifle.

40-82

Most bolt action sporting rifles have barrels that are too light and would over heat if they were used for long sessions of rapid fire. The Ross rifle from World War I was a good example, a fine example of a sporting rifle, but it wouldn't hold up to extended sessions of rapid fire, and if it were fired too many times too fast it would seize up. I wouldn't be surprised if put to the same use most bolt actions sporters wouldn't exhibit the same problems.

Savage99

Separate rifles for hunting from military guns.

For hunting most bolt action rifles take about five shots in a staggered magazine.

That's more than enough for most of us. In fact some hunt with single shot rifles!

If a magazine is long then it sticks out at the rifles balance/carry point.

Then there is aesthetics. The Enfield is beyond ugly.

Here is a handsome mauser style bolt action rifle.

ottmarpicture107jpgthum.png

timelinex

I'm pretty sure it's to make them 'legal' to hunt with. If I remember correctly, some areas you aren't allowed to have more than a 5rd magazine.

tobnpr

If I needed rapid, volume fire capability- as for a SD weapon, I'd be carrying a semi.
Most of us that shoot target, or hunt, don't need either. Doesn't serve any practical purpose.

I never cared for DBM's. Just one more thing to go have a potential problem. But there are aftermarket kits for 700's and Savages to convert to DBM's if that's what floats your boat.

Bart B.

Paul Mauser started it in the late 1800's with his 5-round box magazines in military rifles. Then the M1903 that got commercialized ito Winchester 54's and 70's then the M1917 that got commercialized into the Remington 720 then 7XX series. 5-round stripper clips could be used in all of them one way or the other.

Internal box magazines were always the most accurate of all repeaters. Even today, with external box magazines fit to bolt action rifles, you'll need a zero for each one as they all fit the rifle a tiny bit different. Finding 2 or 3 that shoot to the same zero is wonderful.

When the M14NM semiatuo rifles finally came about, folks had to find two 20-round magazines that shot to the same point of impact then use them for 10-shot rapid fire matches; a reload had to happen in the string so 2 rounds in the first then 8 in the second. Same for the .223 Rem semiautos but to a lesser degree. Of course those who didn't score very high couldn't tell the difference. I don't think things have changed today except the high-dollar tube guns are much better in this regard; the Tubb 2000 for example.

RJay

As mentioned above, most if not all states have a ( for large game, not talking .22LR ) 5 round limit. one in the tube and 4 in the magazine. This is why for those who hunt with something such as a M1 Garand, have to have a modified magazine that will only hold 5 rounds. Same is true with any one who uses a surplus rifle such as the Mosin Nagan ( shutter, gags ), They must have a block to prevent more than 5 rounds to be loaded. I have known hunters who took no more than 5 rounds in the woods with them, they would come out with a nice buck and 4 unfired rounds. Some people like to play with Ninja toys, serious hunters really look down on anyone who needs more than two shots to bring down a deer ( and that is one shot two many ). Attitudes have really changed over the years. I can remember when if you took to the woods with a military surplus such as a K98, the other guys would talk about how poor you must be not to able to afford a decent rifle. Oh well, that was then, this is now.

SIGSHR

The Lee-Enfield and the Lebel are the first military rifles I can think of with more than 5 round capacities. The Carcano and Mosin-Nagant extend below the body of the rifle but the M-N holds 5 rounds, the Carcano 6.

HiBC

Some fellow named Mauser may have had something to do with it.
Before the trend of 5 shot,stripper clip charged bolt guns,the cutting edge military dropped the muzzle loading musket for Trapdoor Springfields and Remington Rolling Blocks.

In the time of those rifles(and,at times today)crossing the mud and blood of the ground to be claimed .....lower can be better.belly low,chin low..lowness is a good thing.The Brit with his SMLE in a Hawkins prone was low.

The 30 or 40 rd box mag requires the head be 5 or 6 in higher above ground.

In the days of bolt battle rifles,the rifle was also part of crawling under wire,a bayonet handle,a brawling staff,etc..A tin box sticking out is obstructive.

That is a great thing about the Garand.Smoothness.

Rifle weight.A pound in the hands is more fatiguing than 3 or 4 lbs in the pack or on the load carrying gear.A steel box with 20 rds of 30-06 is heavy.

Then the Magnum folks stuck fatter cartridges in the same rifle.Lost round.

For most uses of a sporting rifle,in my experience,if 3 or 4 rds did not get the job done,your beasty has found the nearest exit.

For clarity,I do not support magazine capacity bans,etc.

Pond James Pond

I'm pretty sure it's to make them 'legal' to hunt with. If I remember correctly, some areas you aren't allowed to have more than a 5rd magazine.

This.

At least in a number of places in Europe.
Certainly in the UK and where I live now.

I'm pretty sure that if you have a semi-auto for example, they can only be loaded with 3rds.