Why do AR15's cost so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan200

Forgive my ignorance but I'm really curious, why do AR15's cost so much? To me they are worth it but that is a different topic.

I'm buying my first rifle tomorrow, a S&W MP15 (I lucked out and I have a deposit on it), but it's very hard to walk past all of those pretty rifles on the shelf that cost a lot less. But not knowing much about rifles, I'd appreciate some perspective on what you get for the money.

B. Lahey

The S&Ws cost what, like $800 max?

That's not expensive. You can barely get a decent handgun for that, and rifles are bigger. More metal, more machining, more expense.

The el-cheapo ARs like S&W, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc... are cheap (for a reason). If you were talking about a custom job built by a rocket scientist out of only the best parts (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354591), then I would agree with you. I had to save for years to get that wonderful blastomatic. But the average corner-cutting AR? Dirt cheap.:)

MEATSAW

I can't help but to disagree that my $1200 Bushmaster 20" HBAR is an "el cheapo" or other derogatory term. Topping it with a Leupold Mark 4 3-10x40 scope and adding a Y-comp muzzle brake and replacing the buffer spring with a Wolff extra power one that thing is a tack driver and fun to shoot. The only other modification I will ever make will be to put in a Timney trigger once I have and extra $250 lying around. I think that a $2500-3000 AR is a serious case of gouging. But as one member accurately said, they are expensive because of demand, AND it's our military's rifle which makes it easier to up the cost.

B. Lahey

$1200 Bushmaster

You are right, that's not el-cheapo. That's a stone-cold ripoff. Why are you bragging about spending $400-500 too much for an AR?

And my Colt didn't cost anywhere near $2500, even with all the ridiculously personalized parts-swapping.

Do you live on mars? Must be expensive to ship there, so I could understand those prices. If you live on earth, somebody is taking advantage of you.

FrontSight

Because they are so versatile & accurate...can use it for hunting, self defense, target, can buy converison kits or change complete uppers to shoot different calibers, can attach so many different things to it b/c of the rails, etc.

Stan200

(Edit -when I wrote this I was answering B.Lahey's post)

I appreciate the input, however, I have never seen an AR in my parts for less than a grand. And while S&W may be somewhat new to this platform, I have never heard a bad word against them. I would appreciate an honest opinion regarding value.

I have found that firearms are a lot like wine. The difference between cost and value diverges exponentially. There is a big difference between a $5 and a $20 bottle of wine, but most people that think they can tell the difference between a $20 and $100 bottle of wine, can't.

You can't find a decent handgun for $800? Before I take your advise, how much do you spend on wine?

lipadj46

You are right, that's not el-cheapo. That's a stone-cold ripoff. Why are you bragging about spending $400-500 too much for an AR?

And my Colt didn't cost anywhere near $2500, even with all the ridiculously personalized parts-swapping.

Do you live on mars? Must be expensive to ship there, so I could understand those prices. If you live on earth, somebody is taking advantage of you.

Well I guess we should be glad you have it all figured out then so we can all stop worrying.

Csspecs

I have found that firearms are a lot like wine. The difference between cost and value diverges exponentially. There is a big difference between a $5 and a $20 bottle of wine, but most people that think they can tell the difference between a $20 and $100 bottle of wine, can't.

Stuff I buy comes in a box.... :D Tastes ok if mixed with soda and lots of ice :p

You can build an AR for 580.00 or so but your going to be playing with it to get it just right.. Kinda like me mixing stuff with that cheap wine.

Something put together by a pro costs more but its more enjoyable as it is.

Labor and machine costs are most of it, steel is cheap making it into something is spendy. And making something that works perfectly.. Well thats a whole other challenge.

B. Lahey

Well I guess we should be glad you have it all figured out then so we can all stop worrying.

Yup.:D

And the answer to the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, is...

Call Wildalaska!

He's got the deals for you.

You can't find a decent handgun for $800? Before I take your advise, how much do you spend on wine?

I was speaking of the universally recognized "decent handgun", the Colt 1911. Seemed like an acceptable guidepost where prices are concerned.

Wine? Not much, but it's because I only buy a few bottles a year. Now if you are talking scotch and other various fine whiskies, then whooo... Plenty.:)

Tucker 1371

S&W ARs aren't exactly cheap, MSRP 1300 or so.

It's all the same design, I don't see what makes one better than another besides the addition of maybe something like a match or heavy barrel, rails, and upgraded butt stocks. Maybe the installation of a short stroke system as opposed to the direct impingement on most ARs?

In what sense are they "better"? Accuracy? Reliability? Lifespan? Do all the bells and whistles make that much of a difference and are they worth the difference in price?

The only two ARs I've shot are a Bushy 16" with an AK brake and a plain jane RRA 20". I could be shooting a Colt 16" that cost the same as the Bushy so someone please tell me what I'm missing.

Stan200

Actually, my 1911 is my favorite handgun,which was indeed more than $800. However, that is a 1911 technology that requires quite a bit of machining that is not currently necessary. While I'll agree that you can barely get a decent 1911 for $800, I 'd say that most decent handguns currently produced cost less than this amount.

That is actually the heart of my original question, why? where does the money go on an AR15?

I think that Csspecsgot it right. I have heard that building your own (if you can find pieces) can save a lot of money.

BikerRN

Stan,

I didn't drink wine until I married my wife.

She is the connonoisseur of wine. She is from a wine making family and learned at an early age to tell a good glass from a bad. I can find "acceptable" bottles for $20, but I enjoy drinking the $75 bottle because it does taste better, if one has the ability to differentiate between the two.

That is much like the Glock, $20 bottle, and the Les Baer, $75 bottle. Both will work, but one goes down easier and leaves a lingering taste of the oak from the barrel.

Those of you that "get it" will understand my anology. Those of you that don't, enjoy your Kool-Aid. :)

Biker

B. Lahey

The nice ones are $1000+ mostly because quality control isn't cheap. Extra skilled labor and it slows the production line down quite a bit, I would imagine. If you really want to build a top-notch rifle, you have to inspect the heck out of them.

Proving and magnetic particle inspecting every rifle isn't cheap either, that's why the cheap builders don't do much of it. They grab one out of who knows how many rifles, test that one, and if it passes, the rest "pass" too.

That's not good enough for me. I want lots of skilled eyeballs paying attention to my rifle, and those eyeballs need paychecks. But then, I had some bad luck with el-cheapo ARs before I learned my lesson, so I may be slightly paranoid.

If you've never seen a sub-$1k AR, you really need to talk to a reputable dealer. There are lots of pretty much ok choices for less than $1k and Colts are not much more than that.

Re4mer

Forgive my ignorance but I'm really curious, why do AR15's cost so much?

I am not sure if 900 to 1000 is too much for a rifle that does what the AR does. It is versatile, reliable, and highly modifiable. ;)

Stan200

And, oh,yeah, I'm not saying there aren't differences between some $20 and $100 bottles of wine. Just that most have nothing to do with taste

MEATSAW

Why are you bragging about spending $400-500 too much for an AR?

Bragging? Um, no. I am saying that its not some POS that you make it out to be. You think spending $1200 is spending too much for an AR? What makes your Colt so glorious and clearly better than mine such that it is worth whatever you paid for it? You know don't even bother. I am a very happy owner of a very well made and accurate rifle. What gives you the right to trash me for it?

B. Lahey

I'm not trashing you, mr. colortype. I'm just saying you paid too much for an inferior rifle. Happens to everyone at some point, myself definitely included.:)

What makes your Colt so glorious and clearly better than mine

Well, where to start?

Colt proves and MPIs every rifle. Colt uses really nice, uniform parts installed correctly by highly skilled employees. They make sure everything is lined up, staked, and finished correctly. Little stuff like that.

Not that there is anything wrong with Bushmaster if yours works and is free of manufacturing defects, but they do none of those nice things listed above.

I'll pay a couple hundred extra bucks for that. Some won't. Glad you like your rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.