Why did the Marines choose the M18 instead of the M17?

simonrichter

Does anybody know the rationale behind fielding the compact version of the new service pistol not only for MP, concealed carry etc., but for all applications? The Army in comparison uses the M17 as the standard pistol and the M18 for special purposes...

rodfac

Does anybody know the rationale behind fielding the compact version of the new service pistol not only for MP, concealed carry etc., but for all applications? The Army in comparison uses the M17 as the standard pistol and the M18 for special purposes..
A very good question...having carried a pistol in harms way for almost 3 years back in the bad ole days, the length of the barrel was my least concern.

Keeping the gun handy, out of the way while flying, crawling to a firing position, poking around a bunker in pitch darkness and a cpl of times while rushing through a shower point as the 60 mm's started dropping outside were bigger priorities. (Spent a long night nakked as the day I was born in the 81 mm pit while my Army compatriot LHAO. May have a pic somewhere of that folly-filled evening.)

The shorter barrel, within reason would have made plenty of sense had that been an option; good enough for close in work without hindering movement, out of the way while I was engaged with my primary job, but still available if the CAR15 wasn't handy. As it was, I carried either a 5" BHP, or a 5" 1911A1 for all but a cpl of weeks. All in all, I'd say the Marines have made a better choice. YMMv. Rod

Richard b

This is for Marines, a very small force compared to the Army. One variation is easier to train with and keep parts for.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Off the wall question. In today's modern Army can a combat soldier carry his own private handgun if it meets Army specifications? For example, can a Combat medic carry a M18 that he owns? (even if it would be feasible with all the gear they now carry)

dogtown tom

Carl the Floor Walker Off the wall question. In today's modern Army can a combat soldier carry his own private handgun if it meets Army specifications? For example, can a Combat medic carry a M18 that he owns? (even if it would be feasible with all the gear they now carry)
Absolutely not.

greentick

Off the wall question. In today's modern Army can a combat soldier carry his own private handgun if it meets Army specifications? For example, can a Combat medic carry a M18 that he owns? (even if it would be feasible with all the gear they now carry)

Some units have allowed POWs. There is paperwork.