Why compact?

CzCasull

I have some of my own ideas about why compact might be good for a handgun. But then I see such things as the HK USP Compact and I'm confused just a little bit.

Opinions, experiences, thoughts?

Mattnuckolls

The smaller the pistol, the easier to conceal, but you also limit the available weight and surface area for recoil management. I have a Glock 357 Sig, sub compact. kicks hard, wouldn't want to try it in a compact, as I have large hands and find it difficult to position right on those frames. I also have a FN FiveseveN, nice full framed weapon, not easy to hide under a shirt for CC though. my wife, having small hands, finds a compact fits her hands much more comfortably, and she carries a 9mm compact Glock.
The true test is the purpose of the weapon; your intended use. the larger the frame, the better the recoil management and return to center. the smaller, the easier to conceal. with some models, the size also affects the amount of rounds that the magazine holds as well.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
People always want tiny little guns. At least until they have to fight with them.

Next time you're at gun school, look around at the guy having difficulty doing malf drills and the one who keeps having Type II malfs whenever he's shooting weak-hand-only; betcha he's got a bitty little compact auto.

(Of course, a lot of people who carry these bitty little guns in pocket holsters and belly bands show up for gun school and whip out a great big auto in an OWB holster. Why someone would waste their money getting training on gear they don't use is beyond me.)

BGutzman

You really have to watch because every company has different sizes for what it considers to be compact or sub compact but some really arent so compact at all.

I have a sig that is "Carry" size and it is only slightly smaller than full size.
I still use it for CCW carry every day but I had to do a good bit of looking before I found a good way to carry it.

Last edited:

CzCasull

It's true. I never thought about hand size. I could imagine it would help to have a "my size" pistol.

- The HK USP is phat but it's also fat. Many people say it's not fit to conceal and that it's more of an "open carry compact"
I actually think they might have a good argument.
Does anyone use an HK USP Compact as a CCW?

2003flht

People always want tiny little guns. At least until they have to fight with them.

I like my compact. I shoot & practice with it alot. And I would feel more than confident with it if it ever came down to a fight. God forbid......

kimber.jpg

Spartan23

Compact pistols as others said already, are more easy to conseal. There is no need to let anyone know that you are carry a gun anyway...

Also, they are lighter and have benefits of a small pistol.

Ok, HK USP Compact model, its not that compact, but as i hear here from Police Officers, some of them found the Standard USP to be so big. Here they prefer the compacts models mostly.

Maybe they don't want to cause serious wounds to suspects. (The police here uses the standard caliber of 9mm)

Personally, i believe in the quote "Bigger the gun, Bigger the fun" and other quotes about big guns. Yeah, i like big guns, and there is no need to have a compact one. I am not a Spy, Secret Police Officer, or rebel on WW II Europe, so if i carry i can, i would choose the one that packs enough punch, accuracy, and magazine capacity.

Note that here you can allowed to to carry a gun if you are politician, businessman, journalist or singer and such. If you are a civilian, its very rare to allow you just to possess a handgun, not to mention the possibility to allow you to carry it too...

That's why i am choosing a gun that will do its work. And that gun it would be big.

But if i was American, i would always keep a small gun in my boot.:cool:
Yes, they made wonderful backup guns.

As for home defense, you can always have a compact Colt or USP hidden somewhere for a time of need.

Rayndeon

Too bad about Greece I suppose.

I think a good rig goes a long way to carrying full-sized guns - like a 1911 or a USP like a few of my friends.

Ok, HK USP Compact model, its not that compact, but as i hear here from Police Officers, some of them found the Standard USP to be so big. Here they prefer the compacts models mostly.

Maybe they don't want to cause serious wounds to suspects. (The police here uses the standard caliber of 9mm)

Personally, i believe in the quote "Bigger the gun, Bigger the fun" and other quotes about big guns. Yeah, i like big guns, and there is no need to have a compact one. I am not a Spy, Secret Police Officer, or rebel on WW II Europe, so if i carry i can, i would choose the one that packs enough punch, accuracy, and magazine capacity.

From what I hear, German state police are also issued a compact USP. Not sure what you mean by the second comment though - here in the States, 9mm is also widely used by LEOs.

What do you carry btw?

Roger G

Anyone Have ONe

I have just received my ccw license.I has a Colt Detective 38 to carry for now but, I am considering a XDm 9mm Springfield. Does anyone in the group have one or ever have shot one. No one in my area has one that I can even rent. Any good suggestions on holster is also appreciated.
Sorry I dont mean to high-jac the thread. :rolleyes:
Thanks Guys
Roger

CWPinSC

Not me. I'll carry my Springfield XD9SC into a gunfight any time. It deploys quickly and shoots quickly. I have 13+1 rounds of 9mm HP, it's darned accurate, and I can make followups without the sights ever leaving the target.

To answer the question: Compacts are easier to conceal, and may fit smaller hands better. They are usually lighter and easier to carry. There is definitely a place for them in the world of SD.

CzCasull

Thank you all for your responses.
I do suppose a compact might also just look better on person especialy if you want to be a more discreet cop.
I have heard from another place that they're good for if you have to run around in a suit. It doesn't stick out the bottom of the jacket for all to see.

2003flht, I said Compacts, not friggin' sexy 1911s!!! :cool: that thang looks nice.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
CzCasull said:
I have heard from another place that they're good for if you have to run around in a suit. It doesn't stick out the bottom of the jacket for all to see.

In a suit, you could easily conceal a service-size auto, fwiw.

Uncle Malice

Does anyone use an HK USP Compact as a CCW?

Yes.

With a Comp-Tac Infidel holster. It works quite nicely.

Lately I have also been carrying my P220 Stainless Elite in an Uncle Mikes IWB holster. Currently looking for a better holster for that job, but the Uncle mikes rides quite comfortably.

Dr_2_B

In a suit, you could easily conceal a service-size auto, fwiw

I have to respectfully disagree with Tamara on this one. I have been surprised to find that suits are terrible at concealment in my experience. I expected them to be really good but that's not what I found. I think it has to do with the fabric and the cuts and tapers. I like IWB carry, but when I wear a suit, I actually have to revert to pocket carry. Fortunately, people are wearing fewer suits these days.