Why Are We More Passionate About Pistols....

IanS

than long guns like shotguns and rifles? When choosing the right longarm can be just as or even more important? There seems to be more discussion groups around them. And if we look at our own forum more people are active in them than any other.

Is it because its so much more accesible and it can be on our person constantly? Because its usually a person's first firearm purchase? Is it because we consider them more personal and feel more attachment to them?

My longarms don't seem to get the same attention as my sidearms and I feel guilty.:(

Ooooooh! My 100th post! SENIOR MEMBER

"You will respect my authoritor!"

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Living in an urban area, my pistols get shot more than my AK. My pistols get carried every day for CCW. My pistol would be more likely to be used in a self-defense situation in my apartment.

During the migration period, most Germanic tribesmen used spears or axes in combat, but the stories and poems remember swords like Hrunting or Gram. With medieval knights, the sword was a backup to lance, spear, polearm, axe, or mace, and battles were won by longbow or schiltron of pikemen, but it's the sword that was the symbol of the noble warrior and is found on the brasses or effigies of their tombs, the sword that the Renaissance gentleman or Samurai carried that marked his status as a freeman.

The pistol is the modern equivalent of the sword.

Guyon

Tamara, Your post just reminded me of the mythography of George Lucas' Star Wars saga. There too, fancier and more efficient weapons prevail, but it is the Jedi light saber that invokes a privileged status.

However, I'm not sure I agree that the modern pistol aligns itself so neatly in this capacity. Yes, we have the modern, romantic image of the cowboy/outlaw with six-shooters slung low on his hips. But we also have the oft-glorified patriot/warrior. More often than not, his weapon of choice is the rifle.

Country Boy

As with people, the more time you spend with something, the more attached you grow to it. Rifles and shotguns are more effective weapons, but because I spend a much greater amount of time around my handgun, I'm more attached to it.

Jim March

A handgun is more difficult to fire well, so if anything it seems more critical to have a handgun "fit you well" than a rifle.

That may be technically incorrect, but that's how it "feels", that the handgun is an intensely personal thing you're connected to.

Jim

Hard Ball

I agree with Tamara. Pistols are personal weapons chosen to potentially save your life. A lot of emotion is invested in your choice.

IanS

For our age television and movies have taken over the role of creating myth. There's a thread in this forum asking us when did it "click" for you. I think a lot of us experienced the "click" after seeing those images and stories. "Hey I can do that too." These stories showed any individual could be self reliant in defending oneself.

Handguns seemed like it required great skill and dexterity and our screen heroes handled them with incredible style to boot. Rifles and shotguns were less glamourous or heroic thus less prevalent. A handgun allowed a Self-Reliant Individual to mete out justice, repel invaders, and carve out a decent life for themselves and others. Even in the face of incredible odds. Now what's more American than that?

[Edited by Ian11 on 02-22-2001 at 01:08 AM]

capnrik

I believe that Country Boy has it exactly right.

There has been an inordinate amount of my time spent with Colt's Single Action Army revolvers. I have owned several, but I have finally limited my collection to three.

If the target is a rabbit, a tin can, or any legitimate target that my nine year old wants to shoot, then the .22LR Peacemaker gets the pick.

If it is whitetail deer, wild hog, javelina, or any other legitimate big game target here in Texas, then the New Frontier .44WCF gets the nod.

If someone has mistakenly stumbled into mi casa en la noche, the SAA .45, 4 3/4" is instantly on duty.

Go ahead, talk about your Rugers.

Pick up a Colt's and ear that hammer back.

Hear those four clicks?

They stand for C-O-L-T.

Colt's.

When you absolutely, positively half to blow a hole all the way through the target on the first shot....

Mort

What springs to mind is the difference between the smallsword and the backsword.

The backsword is a massive one-hander, a big old saber used for warfare. The smallsword is...well, it's small. It was carried on a daily basis for personal defense.

The saying went, "The small sword is the call of Honour, the Backsword the call of duty."

So, even though the backsword is by most accounts a better weapon, the smallsword has a nobler reputation because of its role. And so it is, I would imagine, with handguns and long guns.

tuc22

Rifles are much more worthy of respect and are a lot more interesting. My pistol is very utilitarian and because it conceals and I can carry it around it is deserving of my time but the superiority of the long gun is where it's at.

Edmund Rowe

Pistols are easy to carry

People often think of combat as very personal, and using the weapon they can most easily carry. For most of us that's a handgun or knife. If you want to see people get really passionate, talk about fighting knives.

I'll tell you what people do NOT do most of the time is think in terms of what is the most lethal or most easily used to dispatch the enemy.

Talk about carrying a concealed handgun and some will ooh and aah, but talk about keeping a rifle handy in the car and people start looking at you funny.

A lot of this thinking extends to perception of the military. Ask someone about a fighting soldier and most think of a rifleman. Nothing wrong with riflemen, but there's a lot to be said for support weapons like claymore mines, aerial cluster bomb munitions, fuel-air explosives, grenade launchers, 50 cal machine guns, 120mm APFSDSDU-T (armor piercing, fin stabilized, discarding sabot, depleted uranium tracer), Arclight strikes, etc.

Edmund

Long Path

I tend to feel passionate about anything that gets shoved down my waistband... esp. if I've ever had to use the "felony carry" with it. :)

I agree with most of the above statements. It goes up against you. It's a daily companion. I have a co-worker who refers to his Taurus "J-Frame" knock-off as "My Little Buddy." He has no such emotion for his full-size Glock, but that little Taurus .38 goes all over with him, even off-duty. He won't take for it, either. :)

I, on the other hand, have great comfort with my little P-11 that happens to be with me just about always, but I have greater affection for my bigger pistols (Officer's Model Special, Gold Cup .45, etc. ), which just seem to have more class to me.

A carry-pistol is like a pocket knife. You have it when you go out the door. It's always with you. You'd miss it if it weren't there. Thus, you'll form emotions about it.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I carry and shoot my 1911 more then my rifles and shotguns. However, I feel just as passionately about the 1911 as I do with the Sharps 1874.

The reason? Obviously, I'm attached to my carry gun because I shoot it a lot and the firearm spends a lot of time on my hip. In essence, it's another extension of my arm. Without it, I feel almost naked and very vulnerable.

The Shiloh Sharps brings back memories of old movies and images of hunters of yester years. It feels as though it's a part of my soul. When I am at the range, with the rifle on some sandbags, nothing else seems to matter around me... until the kaboom and the smell of burnt powder.

Yes my Weatherby is a more accurate rifle. It's ideal for hunting and toting around the woods. However, a plastic stock and stainless fluted barrel does nothing for me. It's more or less a tool of need in pursuit of my hunting hobby.

Other then my one shotgun, the rest of my firearms are just there. I am neither bonded to them nor affectionate towards them. They are items in this enjoyable hobby- tools of the trade to say. All are replaceable objects that will not affect my emotions. Whether it's a handgun, rifle, or shotgun, they are all viewed the same way... except for the Les Baer and Shiloh Sharps 1874.

Single action trigger... exotic wood grips... blued steel...
Beautiful wood stocks... tang sight... blued steel...

and a little piece of history which is important to me. Life doesn't get any better. :)

Ed Brunner

Thjere is a lot of ego involved...

with a handgun. Like a lot of other things, even the choice of which handgun, which holster and what ammo are matters of personal choice and definitely involve and even reflect the ego of the owner.