Why are police trade-ins good buys?

Viper99

Hello All, Newbie here with a question.

I would think that police trade-ins have many thousands of rounds thrugh them as well as holster wear on the finish.

Why are they consider good buys? which ones are normally traded? what would fair price be?

Thanks

DrBundy

Most beat cops never fire their duty weapons other than for qualifying once a year, therefore round count is usually low. Holster wear is normal, but for the prices that trade-ins usually go for, a less than perfect finish is worth it. For example, a police trade in Beretta 92 can be found for around $300. At that price, so what if it's got finish wear??? Send it off to be refinished in any color under the rainbow for $200 or less and you now have a (more) custom gun that has many tens of thousands of rounds left to go before changing so much as a spring.

~A

roman3

They are good buys because,

1. They are usually cheaper than standard used versions of the same gun.

2. Often have night sights on them which does not effect the price much but does sometimes on used.

3. Cops do not shoot thousands of rounds (well most don't) on average. Police departments vary on number of rounds they shoot per year but its not as much as a dedicated civilian shooter often shoots. I was an LEO in both Federal and State level agencies and never for duty did I fire thousands of rounds in many years.

4. Holster wear is usually the biggest downside and that depends on the type of holster used and age and type of finish the weapon has.

Kreyzhorse

Why are they consider good buys?

I've had great success with my Glock 22. It has very little holster wear and aside from replacing the mags, the gun has run flawlessly.

For the right price, I wouldn't hesitate about buying another police trade in.

fightingbard

[/quote]
Cops do not shoot thousands of rounds (well most don't) on average. Police departments vary on number of rounds they shoot per year but its not as much as a dedicated civilian shooter often shoots.

[/quote]

+1...

Viper99

Don't police officers have mandatory range time? what guns are they using during that time?
Thanks for the education.

Leejack

The words "police trade in" wouldn't carry any special priveledge with me.

I'm sure there are great deals to be had in the police trade in market, but I would inspect the gun very closely. Treat it as you would any used gun that you were interested in purchasing.

Walt Sherrill

Police trade-ins are generally in great shape, have received periodic review and updates from the department's armorers, and generally have some extras, such as night sights or extra mags.

The down side is that they are often unusual models, like my S&W 4043 (which was my son's duty gun), with DAO triggers.

Carried a lot and shot little.

While police officers must qualify periodically, most officers probably don't shoot more than a couple of hundred rounds a year...(Most cops are NOT gun nuts; there are exceptions, but they ARE exceptions.)

Texcowboy

I have a P6 Sig that was a West German Police trade in, a Beretta 92FS, a DOJ turn in, and a Beretta 96 GT PS, a Florida Hwy Patrol trade in. A small amount of holster wear, interiors look great and never a bobble. The SIG went back thru the SIG factory before going retail. I got a great deal on each and they are accurate with nary a bobble.

I hope I can find another LEO turn in soon as I have the "nother gun" bug.:D

sils79

My dept has Glock 22s, we shoot once a month, but the round count varies, I would say 60 rounds/mo avg. The guns are cleaned after each shoot and each gun is entirely disassembled, cleaned, and inspected by a department armorer once a year. Any defective parts or springs are replaced as immediately. I would not think twice to buy a police trade in.

spodwo

I got a Local G22. Virtually NO wear as it was their back up to their primary G22 - I guess she had two duty guns and this was the one in the box that was virtually never shot....so couple that with the fact that she didn't pay much for her "2nd" pistol - it was a very sweet deal. I gotta say - it was a steal at $350.00.

roman3

Don't police officers have mandatory range time? what guns are they using during that time?

Again it varies but mandatory range time for me (with 3 different agencies) ranged from once a year to quarterly. we never had once a month like sils mentioned, although i do know of some agencies that did shoot more often but they were exceptions of the ones I have come across.

Even at 60 rounds a month it would take quite a while to wear out a Glock or similar modern pistol.

gc70

Many LEOs only fire a couple of hundred rounds (if that much) during annual firearms qualification. Over a service life of 10 years, that would be 2,000 rounds - little more than broken in well! Police trade-ins are also serviced by department armorers, so the guns tend to be mechanically well maintained. Most police trade-ins have holster wear, but that is cosmetic. But many/most departments have extras guns that stay in the armory as replacements or for issue to new officers; sometimes, you can find a police trade-in that has literally never been issued or fired.

This is a police trade-in. See the wear on the safety lever and the front corner of the rail? I can live with that.

SW4566TSW.jpg

Last edited:

Wishoot

I'm a fan of trade-ins. I've owned three.

S&W 4586
Ruger GP-100
Glock 22

Perhaps I was lucky, but none of the guns showed a lot of wear and tear when I purchased them. None of these guns have given me an ounce of trouble and they're fun to shoot too. The G22 is my nightstand gun.

The only reason I don't have the 4586 is because I didn't care for the DAO trigger.

Vermonter

But where to find them

Ok so we have established that they are generally a good buy. I read this hoping to find a reasonable place to find such a firearm. Any hints? Forgive my ignorance please.

BILLtheDJguy

There are several distributors that handle them. Any reputable gun dealer should be able to get them in. Or track them down on the net, and have them shipped to your FFL. They usually will do a 'hand-picked' one for a small fee.