Why are Gun Cleaners Dangerous? Which?

I am always reading how Gun Cleaning products are dangerous, especially to children.

1) What are the dangerous chemicals in the products?
2) Do all gun cleaning products contain these harmful chemicals? (I know they are ALL harmful if consumed - I am talking about those that create a high level of harmful stuff just by being in the home)
3) Are some products worse than others?
4) When reloading, what products pose the greatest lead threat?

**Finally, what do you guys do to minimize exposure to yourself and those in your house?

50 shooter

Well, one of the worst is the ammonia, then all the other additives. Gun Scrubber has those nice tetracholorawhatchamacallthems and other things that can penetrate your skin and get into your body.

As with the cleaners, if you're loading ALOT of lead bullets, don't go licking your fingers, picking your nose or eat anything until you've washing your hands thoroughly! Preferrably with cold water to keep the pores in your skin closed to keep out as much contamination Gilligan. IF you do buy gloves, be sure they'll protect you, as with everything in life, not everything is built the same. Cheap latex gloves usually fall apart fast with the cleaning chemicals used for firearms.

You can try non ammonia based chemicals that are better anyway, I think there are about 5 or 6 different threads running right now in the rifle forum on this. BoreTech sells a product called Eliminator (Barrett sells it under their name) that's non ammonia and will pretty much out clean everything else. You can use it in-doors as there's no harmful ammonia in it to fry your nose hairs. The foaming cleaners are non ammonia based also and work really well also. You can also check out Slip2000.com as their products are perfectly safe also.

As a plus, you shouldn't be loading inside your house unless you set the room up to be free from catching on fire. You can't be 100% but you can get close, if you feel the need for carpet make sure the manufacturer has a built in fire retardent. A solid wood table mounted to the ground is a good for reloading on, no metal on top due to static electricity.

Lastly, buy yourself a few reloading manuals and read up before starting. I would suggest "the ABC's of Reloading" as a start and a then buy a couple others. Like I said, not everything in life is the same. Be careful, if you need help ASK! The last thing anyone wants to see is someone that blew themselves up doing something stupid.