Why a trigger mounted safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win73

I have often wondered about and have never had anyone explain to me what purpose a safety on the trigger of a handgun serves. As soon as your finger or anything else goes into the trigger guard, there is no longer a safety. (Yes, I know, finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.) When I compare the operation of a handgun with a safety on the trigger to the operation of my Ruger P97 that has no safety, I see no difference. In both cases if you pull the trigger with your finger, the gun will fire. In both cases if anything accidentally gets into the trigger guard and exerts enough force to pull the trigger, the gun will fire. In neither case will the gun fire if the trigger is not pulled.
So what does that safety on the trigger buy you? One thing I could see is it gives the lawyers the ability to say "We have a safety." Is there any circumstance under which it would make the gun less likely to fire?

NateKirk

If the safety is on the gun shouldn't fire. By "trigger guard safetey" are you referring to the button style?

g.willikers

This probably refers to the trigger safety on striker fired pistols, like Glocks and such.
They do seem purposeless, don't they?

44 AMP

Staff
I believe he is referring to the trigger tab that GLock calls a "safety".

They call it a safety, but I can't help but think of it as a "trigger activation release switch" or something like that.

It is only a small portion of the face of the trigger, one normally covered by the trigger finger during shooting.

Mechanically, a pull (or push) on the trigger that does not depress the little tab first, will not allow trigger movement to fire the gun. So, to an engineer, the design is "safe".

They are very ...popular... these days.

Evil Monkey

Because a man with absolutely no experience at designing combat weapons decided that it was a good idea.

You do know that the mechanism was a result of demands by the Austrian military right? You do realize that every other striker fired pistol made by companies who do know how to design a pistol, have the same trigger safety system, right?

You need to do less posting, and more reading.

kozak6

If I remember correctly, on some guns it acts as a drop safety.

I think the idea is that it's a logical extension of the grip safety. If you don't hold a pistol with a grip safety just right, or if an injury prevents you from doing so, the pistol won't fire.

By moving it to the trigger instead, it solves that potential issue.

Whether this is a good idea is debatable.

TailGator

The little tab on the trigger combines with, in many or most designs, a trigger guard that is wider than some other pistols, to the effect that an object has to be placed on the lower half of the trigger and pulling relatively straight back to pull the trigger. The net effect is a decrease in risk, but certainly not to zero, of an accidental trigger pull; reasonable care needs to be exercised in handling those types of handguns, especially during holstering, but similar care needs to be exercise in holstering other pistols, including care in engaging a thumb safety in pistols so equipped.

If it works for you, fine. If you don't feel safe without a thumb safety, buy a pistol with a thumb safety and practice using it reliably without ignoring the rules for safe firearm handling.

jmr40

Glocks, nor any of the guns with the blade inside the trigger do not have a safety. The blade is to prevent the gun from firing if dropped. If one of these guns hits the ground with enough force, and at the right angle there is enough inertia to pull the trigger. The blade must be depressed in order to pull the trigger on these guns. It is a form of a drop safety, not a true safety in the traditional sense.

g.willikers

Ah, I didn't know that about it being a drop safety.
On the other hand, since it doesn't interfere with the normal use of the trigger, and if it makes folks feel better, why not.
On the other, other hand, don't drop your pistol.
Has anyone ever actually dropped one?
I did see a guy at a match get so made at his jamming pistol that he threw it downrange, though.

AK103K

Has anyone ever actually dropped one?
I once dropped a freshly loaded Series 70 Colt Commander, that didnt yet have the thumb safety on. Wish I had a video of that little dance I did. :)

It didnt go off, but it was a very LONG couple of seconds as it fell to the floor.

Contrary to what many seem to think, I always thought the Series 80's, with the firing pin block was a good idea. I switched to them once they showed up, and retired the 70's.

rickyrick

I'll sheepishly admit that... I tried one of those CCW stretchy spandex 511 tactical velcro T-shirts.....
I bent over to pick something up and out it came. Struck hammer side down, muzzle up toward my face.... Did I mention cement floor?

I bet I made a funny face.

WeedWacker

Seeing as the striker fired design utilizes the trigger pull to also move the firing pin against the firing pin spring to create load for successful ignition, it's similar to a double action trigger pull with an external hammer (except not). It's the similarity which makes people comfortable with it and the sales pitch of "trigger safety" builds confidence. The design is technically safe as long as the trigger is not dinkled with, so a rigid holster that covers the trigger guard would prevent firing, but this is true for most modern handguns (COUGH*taurus*COUGH).

I have two Glocks, I've had several XD's (and M's) and I still like a quality single action with a safety (or my DA/SA Sig). If you buy a defensive pistol you should train with it anyway rather than seeking the simplest design and putting it in the nightstand. It doesn't take long to develop the muscle memory associated with safeties in your chosen carry platform.

Erno86

While at an indoor range....I was standing behind a guy in his shooting stall --- When he had a ND with his brand new 500 Smith & Wesson pistol, while he had his left support hand covering the left side face of the cylinder. He dropped the pistol, while the bullet hit the concrete floor, three feet ahead of him, and ricocheted downrange onto the left side wall.

He received a 3" long gash wound on the inside palm of his left hand, from the cylinder blast. Management patched the wound up, and told him he would have to go to the hospital --- But instead --- he went back to shooting his pistol.

gyvel

Like virtually every other feature of the Glock, there is nothing new about Glock's trigger "safety." It was done over a hundred years ago on Iver Johnson revolvers.

849ACSO

If I remember correctly, on some guns it acts as a drop safety

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

The idea is that if the gun is dropped on the rear of the slide, the heavier trigger will want to travel rearward, thereby causing the gun to go off. The extremely lightweight "safety", that is kept engaged by spring tension, won't have enough mass to be forced back by the kinetic energy, and will stay in the engaged position, keeping the trigger from moving rearward.

Status
Not open for further replies.