Who's K-mart is closing?

USMCsilver

In light of K-mart cutting employment and shutting down stores, I was just wonding how many of you out there have a local K-mart that is turning in the chips.

I vowed not to shop at K-mart since their "sell out" and have stood by my pact. However, my wife still goes there on occasion against my will. She told me that there is a sign at the enterance which says something to the tune of, "In light of recent occurences, we want to let you know that will remain open and in business, blah, blah, blah..."

It is sad to see that many will lose jobs, but K-mart made their bed, time to let them lie in it.

chaim

At least one of the nearby K-marts will close and one will stay open.

Unfortunately, the one that is closing is in a shopping center that fairly recently (a year or two ago) lost its other big store, an Uptons department store, when the company went out of business. Because of competition from newer, bigger, shopping centers (the new ones that cater to "big box stores" like Dick's Sporting Goods, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Borders, etc) it still hasn't brought in a new tenant for that spot. I fear that this may mean the end of the rest of the center.

So, while K-mart deserves it, and in retail around here I doubt the employees will have too much trouble finding new work, it is unfortunate the result on the shopping center. I wish they had closed the other one in a shopping center that is on a busier highway and would more easily replace it (of course, since I'm sure that store does a better business that would have been a poor business decision). Oh well, I guess we're going to have an empty shopping center soon. Actually, with real estate prices in Columbia that won't last long, they'd probably tear down and rebuild a more modern center.

PATH

One closing North of me and another to the South of me. Good bye friends of Rosie O'Fats! Another anti-gun company bites the dust. All hail Wally World! They just won't sell out!

Bulldog44

I live in a rural area pretty much equidistant between two larger cities.

None of the Kmarts in the towns within 50 miles distance to the north will be closing. I do believe that at least one of them in Birmingham (about 30 miles south) is due to close, however.

G23CT

The dump in town with the K-Mart sign is closing down, one of two in the state. The other one is in the next town over, which had only opened a few years ago after another local chain failed.

ernest2

In Conn , the Southington Ct and Bristol Ct Kmarts are closing
because of their unprofitably due to nearby Wallmarts.

7 total kmart closings in conn.

Meanwhile, the Waterbury and Watertown K marts remain open because the waterbury and watertown kmarts are the only
discount dept stores left in town after both Caldors and Bradlies went out of business.

HOWEVER, BARE SHELVES account for 80 % OF THE STORE with only 1 or2 out of 14 registers open.

Yes , I occasionally shop there because Kmart is 1/4 mile away
and Wallmart is 18 miles away , but usually, Kmart does not have what I want to buy due to 80 % bare shelves so i am forced to make the drive to Walmart.

Generally, Kmarts will remain open if they are the only store in town and therefore profitable while other Kmarts in the proximinity of compeating retail compeditors will close.

Jason Demond

10 in MI

The Big Kmart stores being closed in West Michigan are:

1450 North Eaton Albion
5500 Beckley Rd Battle Creek
1950 Pipestone Road Benton Harbor
1658 Lansing Road Charlotte
370 E. Chicago Coldwater
3800 28th St. S.E. Kentwood
5625 W. Saginaw Hwy. Lansing
2707 S 11th Street Niles
1227 M-89 Plainwell