Whoops!

Yoosta B. Blue

Like I've done many times before, I went to the garage this morning to load up some 230 gr .45 rounds on my meager single-stage press. I charged 50 cases, seated the first bullet, seated the 2nd bullet... and sort of subconciously thought "Wait a second. Something isn't quite right here..." After a bit of reflection, I realized that the bullets had no lube on them. (These were some that I had cast a couple of weeks ago, and hadn't yet put Alox on them.) I'm not sure what would happen if I'd loaded them up with no lube and shot them. :eek: In any case, I don't plan to find out... :D

The implementation of safety procedures and double-checking yourself is always in season!

Yoosta B. Blue

rwilson452

I have shot a lot of bullets sans lube out of my Colt 1991A1 with no issues. Bullets made with the Lee mold 200 gr SWC

Like I've done many times before, I went to the garage this morning to load up some 230 gr .45 rounds on my meager single-stage press. I charged 50 cases, seated the first bullet, seated the 2nd bullet... and sort of subconciously thought "Wait a second. Something isn't quite right here..." After a bit of reflection, I realized that the bullets had no lube on them. (These were some that I had cast a couple of weeks ago, and hadn't yet put Alox on them.) I'm not sure what would happen if I'd loaded them up with no lube and shot them. In any case, I don't plan to find out...

NWPilgrim

I am not a caster but I believe the only consequence of not using lube is an increased chance of leading. But that may depend on velocity, too.

Yoosta B. Blue

I'm glad that I started this thread. Heck, I would never have guessed that you could safely shoot bullets that had no lube at all. Thanks, folks! Truly we live and learn! ;)

YBB

rwilson452

I must admit. the bullets I have made with the Lee mold a TL452-200-SWC, I don't even size them anymore. They shoot just fine.