Whoo Hoo! Browning HP on the way!

Scaramanga

I should get my first Hi-Power tomorrow or Friday and I'm stoked! Reckon I'll have to put a couple of rounds through it before I send it to be tricked out. :D

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

M16

Congratulations on your purchase. I just found two of them today that still have the high capacity magazines! Heh Heh...I just couldn't resist giving them a new home.

Coronach

Excellent choice.

Where are you going to have it tricked out, and what are you going to have done?

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

johnnybravo

I just got a Hi power Tactical model less than 2 weeks ago and already have 5 or 6 hundred rounds through it. What a sweet little pistol! :D :D
I think I'll leave it stock and perhaps try a little IDPA sometime this summer.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.

Scaramanga

Coronach: I'm leaning heavily towards Kurt Wickmann. His website is http://www.kwgw.com, but it seems to be down at the moment. He worked with Wayne Novak for 10 years before he started his own shop. Anyway, he had a package you could get for the HP that was similar to the one offered by Novak:

Novak night sights (3 dot or bar/dot)
Crown Barrel
Stipple front and back strap w/ milled border around the serial number
Anti-Bite Hammer modification
Bevel mag well
Carry Bevel package
Reliability package
Combat trigger job (5#)
Bead blast and refinish

This should run $850.00

I may have him radius and polish the trigger face ($20)and hand matte the top of the slide with milled borders ($150), and add Craig Spegel grips.

You can find pictures of Kurt's work at http://members.tripod.com/BK_GLOCK_1911_PAGE/hipower.html

------------------

etc

IMHO-

You have just purchased the best handgun in the history of handguns.

There is no need to trick out the best.

Have Fun!

------------------
Kevin
Junction Outdoor Supply
www.junctionoutdoorsupply@prodigybiz.com

wonder if we are talking about the same thing (i have the 'Fabricaciones Militares' (Argentine made copy, under license) of the HP- actually its shortened version called the 'Detective' - at very least have to remove the 'magazine safety' (that blocks the action when the magazine is removed and adds several oz. and a lot of slush to the trigger pull. Perhaps the current FN Browning has dropped this---
Peter Knight

Scaramanga

My HP has the mag disconnect, but I'm going to have it removed. I received the pistol Thursday night and put a few rounds through it at my local range. Trigger felt weird since I have been shooting just my 1911 lately. The pull is a bit heavy and the reset is longer, but I suppose it will be better after the trigger job. The hammer mod is a definite need for me. The guy in the stall next to me would hear; bang-OUCH, bang-OUCH, etc... :D

------------------

Richard

I think everyone is tired of hearing me say it but here it goes again. If you are right handed operate the safety on your BHP with the thumb of your left hand. I am convinced that hammer bite is caused by moving your shooting hand up on the grip to use the safety. Regards, Richard.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited April 14, 2000).]

Coronach

Your HP's trigger felt *heavy*?

As far as I know, my trigger is the standard factory issue, and it is very very very smooth and light. The gun did have a previous owner, but I don't think he did any mods on it.

Also, I operate the safety with my right thumb, and I've never been bitten by the hammer. Though, I do have small hands...I can't see how I could get a part of my flesh in the route of the hammer without trying. ;)

Cheerio,
Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

TABING

I agree with etc., the P-35 is the logical extension of the 1911. It can't get much better than that. Magazine disconnect is about all I'd do. Put lots of rounds throught it before you decide you need to make any big changes. I just got a Belgium made P-35 (from http://www.empirearms.com/ )that was an Israeli contract gun for $350. in about 95% condition, with perfect bore and tight fit. It's one one many that I have. The only other 9mm that I have or ever will have is a CZ-75

Scaramanga

Thanks for all of the advice guys, but I don't think I'm going to be very happy with the stock sights (that 3 bar thing is strange), grips, finish, or the fact that the front and back straps are smooth. It is certainly a nice gun without any mods, but why not have it done if I have the opportunity?

------------------

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, Scaramanga! Certainly, do as you prefer, but I learned the hard way over the years that the HP benefits most from light modifications. If I'd not already had it done, I'd not have added the Novaks as they dont' do any better for me than do the standard MkIII fixed sights. I do get rid of the mag safety, but respect the opinions of those who counsel against it. I just cannot stand the damned things. I also have to remove the right side ambi as it interfers with my grip and I wind up engaging the safety when I don't want to! Elimination of hammer bite can be handled by you if you have a dremel tool and are careful. Remove the spur at the second lateral serration and then round, shape, and reblue. Hammer steel is hard and I find that heating the cold blue in a microwave and applying with a q-tip works pretty well. If you want to do something a bit prettier, I really like C&S's petite ball hammer. I have this on a couple of my guns and bite is gone so long as I don't get the web of skin between thumb and forefinger above the tang. Best and enjoy your HP. I believe I like the current MkIIIs better than my vintage Belgian guns. Again, have fun and let us know how it comes out in the end.

CMOS

Last weekkend I shot with a guy who had a kit installed into his HP to make it double-action.

That's one of the finest shooting pistols I've had in my hands.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

ddt4free

Lucky dog, enjoy it, I wish I had one(cave full) of em. Super design. Browning really left us a legacy with that one. -ddt