Who was that guy?

RickB

Years ago, and I mean twenty years ago, I was at a small public range about 50 miles from Seattle, and a guy showed-up with an interesting array of guns.
All were based on Ruger single actions, but all had been heavily modified.

Among them were lengthened Blackhawks chambered in .45-70 and .444 Marlin, a Single Six converted into a 5-shot .38, a New Army converted to a centerfire caliber that I can't remember, a Hawkeye single shot, with a half-dozen interchangeable barrels chambered in .223, .30-06, and I don't remember what else. It was really cool, with an adjustable extractor that doubled as a headspace indicator.

I seem to remember that they guy was from Montana.
The guns were complete, fully finished and not cobbled-together "mules".
Any idea who the guy was?

rock185

Rick,Your mention of a Ruger Single-six converted to a 5-shot .38 caused me to dig out an old Gun World magazine from June, 1965. An article by Dan Cotterman, "Monster Maggies of HandGunnery" describes the efforts of an Al Kermode and gunsmith Bob Paxton, both from Northern California, and others in building a 5-shot Single-six .38, a K-Frame S&W .38 converted to a 5-shot .44 Spcl., a .45-70 revolver, a big auto-loading pistol chambered for various cartridges based on cut down belted magnum rifle cases,etc. Couple of single shot "pistols" built on rolling block and Martini rifle actions are also shown, with mention they were confiscated by ATF. They'd be pretty old by the mid '90s, but wonder if one of this crew, or an heir, could be the guy you saw?

RickB

All I saw were Ruger-based conversions, but that doesn't mean the guy didn't do other stuff, too.

I did some research on the BFR, which is a production gun very much like the big revolvers I saw, but couldn't find anything other than those guns being made by Magnum Research; did they design and develop them, or buy-out someone else?