Who the heck is this guy!?!

Dfariswheel

Also check out Jerry Miculek ("the Ragin' Cajun") who makes a double action revolver sound like a submachine gun and scares the dickens out of the top auto shooters at the ISPC matches.

Also, Thell Reed who scares Bob Munden.

Human beings shouldn't be capable of speeds like this.

drail

I agree with you. I've stood several feet away from Mr. Miculek while he shot and I still can't believe that what I witnessed was possible. I spent a few years shooting IPSC revolver class and did OK and I cannot cycle a S&W that fast just dry firing it (much less hit targets). For some really amazing stuff you must read Ed McGivern's book from the 1930s. I believe McGivern still holds many records to this day.

Eagleks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Draw

Fast draw is one of the fastest sports. A world class competitor can draw and fire a shot in under half a second; the current world record for open style standing blanks is 0.208 seconds--and that includes the time to react to the signal. Given that the average human reaction time is around 0.2 to 0.25 seconds, the round is over before most people can react. The reaction times of the best fast draw shooters is 0.145 seconds, which means that the gun is cocked, drawn, aimed (from the hip), and fired in just over 0.6 seconds.

jhenry

Munden can come off as a bit full of himself, but I had a chance to spend some time talking to him and fondling guns once. Once he figured out I was OK, he was fine. He was very gracious and actually took apart some of his race guns to show me his modifications. His wife was very much the lady and a fine human being.

The guy is so fast you literally have trouble seeing his hand move.

Cheapshooter

My question isn't with who, but with what. The first shot was across the range, but I did think he said it was a blank. The second shot was a live round to hit a target now set to the back of the firing line. And was that a remote controlled camera on the third shot that zoomed in and out during the shot?

Quantrill

Ed McGivern's book is called,"Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting". Very good reading. Bob Mundan's shooting kind of backs up the recent NRA article on self defence with a single action.

DrLaw

I've had a few conversations with Bob Munden, and I would not say that he is full of himself.

Frankly, he is just a regular guy. Some people have to learn that when you are a showman, you have a different persona for when you are being filmed and when you are off duty. I do the same thing in my job as a lawyer, prick in the courtroom, nice guy outside of it.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

fdreano

Probably so...many that knew Johnny Carson said he would be the quiet guy sitting by himself in the corner at parties.

However much fun it is I see few things with less practical use than a Western quick draw. Maybe the shot putt competition in the Olympics.