who still shoots winchester model 12's?

rebs

I still shoot trap with mine. My brother in law bought it for me when I was 14 yo. $119.00 plus tax from Dick Fischer sporting goods. Std 28" modified barrel.

old roper

stuckinthe60s, Nice. I have model 12 20ga imp cyl that I use for quail and 16ga according to # was build year I was born 1942. the 16ga is like me well used.

Ricklin

Model 12

The finest repeating shotgun ever made. Nothing handles like a Model 12.

I shoot a pre war trap grade, however I have modified it a bit. It wears an adjustable comb, and has some extra weight added. It also has a Simmons pad.

It's a clay crushing machine, tough to beat the Winchester chokes. Mine patterns beautifully with one ounce of lead at 1050-1100.

If I don't break 25, I can't blame the Equipment.

bamaranger

dunno

There's a used gun shop up in PA that I visit when traveling. Typically there will be 2-3 or more Model 12's in the rack, sometimes botched a bit with Poly Chokes, butt pads, butt stocks replaced, poor finish...but they are indeed Model 12's. Some, especially the 16 ga's have been there for a couple years.

eastbank

years ago i picked up a fake trap model 12, by fake i mean some one took a mint 12ga with a 30"barrel FC made in 1955 and had trap wood and a money maker rib installed on it along with a very good refinishing. and it shoots lights out at the trap range, i have shot many 25-25,s and a few 50-50,s with it and the good part i only paid 300 dollars for it. eastbank.

Ricklin

Bellingham

I shoot up North at the trap club in Bellingham WA.
They have a photo on the wall there, looks like 1950's. About a dozen guys, and their guns. Every gun in the pic is a Model 12. The Model 12 ruled the trap fields of the 1950's.

44 AMP

Staff
I don't shoot trap, and I don't hunt ducks (and WON'T shoot steel shot), but I still have the old, used field grade 30" full choke model 12 that was my 16th birthday present.

Made between 1922 & 1925 from the best info I can find.

I toyed with the idea of cutting the barrel down for many years, and fortunately resisted the temptation every time.

Found one at a gun show that someone had chopped off to make a riot gun, and after measuring both the barrel AND overall length to ensure it was legal, bought it, so I have a model 12 riot gun as well.

Not the slickest working pump gun (the slicker ones were all designed decades later) but its the most rugged and dependable one I've ever found.

Others have come and gone, my model 12 remains, and will, until it gets passed on, or I have it buried with me. :D

paleodog

I do and love mine. I have three, a 12 gauge Heavy Duck 3", a 16 gauge full choke, and a 20 gauge modified. The 20 was made in 1929, belonged to my aunt who was an avid quail hunter, and the 16 was made in 1941, the year I was born if I remember correctly. I love the way they point, shoot, and they are as graceful looking as a pretty woman.

Ricklin

Fake Model 12 trap

My favorite trap gun is a fake.......oh wait no it's not.

The fella in the gun library at Cabela's said the trap grade I has my eye on was a fake, not a real trap grade. Since it was 300 bucks, I bought it anyway.

It's a trap grade, they marked em differently over the years, and mine is correct for the serial number. Score one for me. Wish I had the original butt stock, but the forend is original. I bought a new buttstock and with a little stain and work they look pretty good together.
The ol flat shooting model 12 benefits nicely from an adjustable comb. Mine has the old solid rib.

In addition I added some weight to bring it up to about 9.5 Lbs. Really helps with my swing, and of course eases the recoil.

gunut

I have 18 of them....10 12ga....2 12ga HD....2 16ga...5 20ga..one model 42 and one model 25.......they're all OK.....
sold off 4 or 5 12ga and a 16ga in the last 5 yrs.....starting to get old and time to start cutting back....

Oldman11

I have my daddy's short win model 12. It's a 20 ga,has a factory short barrel and chambered for a short 20 ga. I think it's a 2 9/16 shell if I remember right. I have already given it to my grandson. Did the government issue the 20 gauge to the post offices back then?

JWT

The Model 12 is one of the best shotguns ever made as fare as I'm concerned. Never knew anyone that owned one who didn't love it.

eastbank

i love my winchester model 12,s and they seldom brake, but if they do they are harder to fine parts for. i also love my remington 870,s and can order any parts i may need off the internet, as a matter of fact i can order all the parts except the receiver to build a whole shotgun (all internals,stocks and barrels). eastbank.

44 AMP

Staff
If they stopped making 870s tomorrow and you come back in 45-50+ years, you might start finding some parts a little hard to find, too.

I like the 870, they're really good guns, they work well, and they are "slicker working" with their twin action bars than the old model 12.

But I love my Model 12. Its the premium pre WWII pump design. Post WWII, 870 design rules, but then, they had decades of watching the model 12 (and others) perform in the field, on the streets, and in war, to improve on.