Who Reloads Here ?

FLA2760

I see the Mods moved this from General. Thanks.
I am considering getting into reloading but I have no idea what equipment I will need and what the initial investment would be? I would be interested in reloading .38 and maybe .32H&R magnum. I would shoot more if I reloaded. Thanks.

Last edited:

woad_yurt

Figure on $350 worth of stuff by the time you're all set. I'd recommend a progressive press. Lee is the cheapest and mine seems to work pretty well. I reload .38 SPL

treg

I have a Lee O-Frame press that I bought when I first started reloading. Not too expensive, puts out quality shells and is easy to safely get the hang of reloading. It's just not real fast. Mine has served me well for about 15 years and many thousands of rounds. You can also do rifle shells with it.
They come in kit form with a lot of the stuff you need to start for a very reasonable price.

Threefeathers

I do and I've reloaded for 30 years. Let me get you into it at the same price I got my son's into.
Give me some info on yor price range.

1.Using a single stage (both of my son's are doing this)
2. Using a Turret Press (my actual rec I use a Lyman T-Mag)
3. Using a Progressive. (I use a RCBS Pro 2000)
4. Using a High speed Dillon 1050 (I have 3 of them at work)

Give me an idea of what you have and let's geta going.

CDH

I mostly load .357, .38, and 44 Mag.

I started with Rockchucker over 30 years ago and have enjoyed every pull of the handle.
I keep telling myself that I'd like to upgrade to a Dillon progressive such as the 650, but I find that I can load plenty fast enough for the shooting I do.

It's a great, simple, inexpensive hobby that is a no-brainer for anyone who shoots. I've spent many a Saturday night sipping on a Coke, listening to Hearts of Space, and enjoying the late night solitude of just me and the Rockchucker as I load ammo into the wee hours of the morning.

ryalred

I don't remember what it cost me to get started--sort of started with the very basics and then picked up helpful accessories here and there. Lee makes some pretty good kits that have most of what you need to reload, but you'll have to purchase some other items. I'd say if you stayed with a basic single stage press, you could get into reloading for under $200.

CortJestir

I just started about a month ago (a few weeks really) so I'm as green as you can get. Also started with a Lee Kit - the 50th Anniversary kit with the Breech Lock O-Frame press. I like the single stage, but once I'm more confident and knowledgeable, I'll want more speed. I'm already thinking about getting a turret. hehehe.

I guestimate around $400 spent to get started, including consumables.

This thread was helpful in starting out as well as spending many many hours lurking this forum.

Last edited:

Jimlakeside

I jumped right in with a Dillon 550 last April. I have reloaded 17,000 rounds since then, so I have shot a lot more (my wife shoots also). Do you save any money? No but you get to shoot a lot more.

Smokey Joe

Staff recommendation...

In the thread referred to by Snuffy, moderator Johnny Guest recommends that you start with books, not equipment. He then goes on to recommend a number of books, then after that goes into the equipment needed.

I'll just reiterate and second his motion: START WITH: The ABC's of Reloading which is put out by Krause Publishing, www.krause.com of which the 8th edition is now available.

Don't just buy it, read it.

This book will cover every aspect of every kind of reloading, and get you informed as to what you need to get started, as opposed to what you also want, and what you can wait a while to get.

For starters, go to JG's thread and read through it. Then get you The ABC's. THEN you will be ready to start accumulating parts, materials, and equipment.

Oh, and welcome to The Magnificent Obsession--Reloading!

CortJestir

Yes, it goes without saying. Read, read, read before you make your first purchase. The ABC's is a must - read it cover to cover. I picked one up local at a Border's Music and Books store, believe it or not. I also liked Lyman's intro to reloading in the Handgun reloading manual. Lee's Manual has a good section too on the process (if you ignore the product placement and slight bashing of other manufacturers).

Best thing about soaking up all this info beforehand is the expectations you can set for yourself and the better informed decisions you can make about what gear you want.

BigJimP

I've reloaded for close to 40 years I guess ...

I'm a fan of a progressive press / I think they're fine to learn on - especially if you know you want to load high volume cartridges for handguns. There isn't anything wrong with the single stage presses ( like RCBS Rockchukcer ) but its pretty tedious work if you want to load 20 boxes of .45 acp ...

There is lots of good equipment out there now - RCBS, Hornady, Dillon etc. Personally, I think Dillon has some of the better equipment out there. One thing I do recommend is a press that has a powder check station in it, to check the powder drop, so you know if you have no powder or a double charge - on the Dillon lineup the SDB and the 550 do not have that option / the 650 and 1050 do have it. Read a lot before you buy a press / try and find a mentor in your area that will give you a hand setting up a press / diagnosing any issues on loads, etc.

Startup costs can be significant - but you can add features to most progressive presses down the road too ( extra powder measures, case feeders, etc ) to help keep initial cost down. You really need to look at the startup costs spread out over 10 years or more ...because if you buy the right press now you probably won't replace it anytime soon.

FYI ,,,, Cabelas is offering up the newer model Lee 4 hole turret auto indexing press with a powder scale , the riser adaptor to allow use of dies with the long screws out the top and has the newer auto pro disc powder measure all for $165.00 and if you mention code 8Christmas free freight on all orders over $100 for the rest of this month. 10 SPOT

rn22723

Your first step is buying the best reference book or what I call Reloading for Dummies or The ABC's of Reloading from Krause Publications. Read it cover to cover, and then read it again while taking notes! Look for a mentor at your local club, range, or purveyor of supplies! Another more technical book, is Handloading for Competition by Glen Zediker.

There are several great reloading manuals of the real kind not the freebee ones! Freebee manuals are good for cross referencing data, at times. For meaty manuals a person can not go wrong with the Lyman48th, Hornady, and Sierra. One must always look up loads when you compare/cross-reference data. Especially in larger calibers as some data might be using different brass from yours. Case in point before the Hodgdon website upgrade they Hodgdon used WW brass to work up loads with, whereas Sierra used Fed cases in their 308 Winchester loading information. Now, Hodgdon does not list what brass the loads were worked up in.

Press - Single Stage or Turret presses are the best way to learn before advancing to any kind of progressive press. You will always have need for a single stage press. Redding and RCBS are good sources of all kinds of presses. RCBS Rockchucker Supreme for a single stage and Redding T7 for a turret press are basically the gold standard for the two different types.

Dies - I like Redding Dies, and I would get the carbide expander ball upgrade for bottle neck rifle cases. Dillon makes carbide rifle sizer dies, but you still need to use case lube and make sure you lube the inside of the case neck, too. I would just stick with regular dies for rifle cartridges. Dillon makes die sets specifically for their press so to speak, meaning that it does not come with a case mouth belling die; Redding makes a set of dies for progressive presses, too. I like Forster competition seaters, and they can be had as an individual item. Dies are pretty much threaded universally, except for Lyman 310 dies, and Dillon dies for the Square Deal B. Accuracy nuts will use hand dies, and they require an arbor press be used.

Shell holders (if the die set doesn't have them like Lee) or the appropriate shell plate for the progressive press. Remember that many shell holders work for more then one cartridge. I would do some home work, especially if you get a Dillon. Some cartridge conversions might only require you to get powder funnel for the new cartridge.

A tumbler will be a good investment, as clean cases will not harm you dies. There are vibratory and rotary tumblers out there. I like corn cob media treated with some Iosso case polish. You can get walnut in bulk at Petco or Pet Smart. Bulk corn cob grit is a great way to reduce the cost of commercially supplied media, because you pay through the nose for the treated media from other vendors.

MTM makes great loading block tray that handles most cartridges.

Case Lube is great for both conventional dies, and to treat your brass used in a progressive press even with carbide dies. That extra lubricity makes the cycling of the press a tad slicker! Dillon spray lube works well for shake and bake application. I like Imperial Die Wax for rifle cartridges when FL sizing.

Case Neck Brush to clean bottleneck rifle cases

Dial Calipers

Case Trimmer (Lee works, but Possum Hollow is better, Wilson makes the best hand powered Lathe trimmer, and Giraud is the best powered Trimmer)

Deburring/Chamfering Tool

Primer Pocket Cleaner and uniformer

Primer Flip Tray is needed for loading pick up tubes for some primer systems like the Dillon.

Priming Tool (I like the RCBS (now even better with universal shell holder, but Sinclair makes the best)

Powder Scale - remember that is always better to have a mechanical scale as a back up to any electronic scale.

Powder Funnel kit with drop tubes especially if you intend to use powders like Varget.

Powder Trickler (used to tweak powder charges)

Powder Measure (nice for faster powder charges it does require a bit of learning curve to get consistent powder charges sort of rhythm thing) standard with progressive presses, but the RCBS Uniflow is nice! Redding makes a better one, and Harrell is the gold standard!

Hammer Type Bullet Puller (for taking down the boo boo's)

Ammo boxes and labels

A notebook for recording your results! Saves covering the same ground twice!

A chronograph is great when working up loads, but is more a luxury in the beginning.

cchardwick

I just got a complete setup from Midway.com. I started with the Lyman T-Mag Turret press Expert Kit, it has a bunch of stuff you need, all better quality stuff that I find a joy to use. No complaints at all on my first 50 rounds of 44 mag.

:D

With the kit I also added:

44 Mag 4 die set
Primer Pocket cleaners (large and small)
Frankford Electronic Calipers (you'll need this!)
Two reloading trays
10 plastic ammo boxes

The grand total shipped to my door is $480. You'll want to buy powder, primers, and bullets locally to get around paying the hazardous shipping fees that are very high. I also have a tumbler, walnut media, and brass polish that I bought a month ago. It was my first reloading purchase and I shined all my brass before I jumped in full.

I considered getting a single stage press but realized you have to change out the die every time you switch tasks. The turret die is still single stage but to change to the next reloading step you just pivot the turret. Plus to switch calibers all you have to do is buy new dies and a new turret and just swap out the turrets and all your dies are all set. I couldn't imagine using a single stage after using a turret.

The progressive presses scare me, too many things going on all at the same time, and for a beginner you should get something that breaks up the steps so you can concentrate on each step. Right now I'm weighing out each and every load with my electronic scale, and I check every step to be sure it was successful (I check each primer after it was seated to be sure its in all the way and not seated upside down or sideways, etc.). It gives me a chance to fine tune my loads and see how accurate my powder measure really is. I couldn't imagine a better setup than what I have right now.

Keep in mind that quality reloading equipment retains neraly 100% of it's value so after years of using it you can probably sell it for what you paid for it.

Getting into reloading can seem a bit overwhelming with all the options and different steps and the dangers involved. I recommend getting a higher end kit that has most of the stuff already included, it makes start up much easier.

Last edited:

Stevie-Ray

I started reloading about 20 or so years ago, and jumped right in with a progressive; a Dillon SDB. Bought it for .45 ACP, but soon found I wanted a toolhead and dies for 10mm also. To date, they're still the only calibers I load for, though I might be tossing 9mm into the ring this year. The Dillon is sweet!

The rest of my equipment is a hodge-podge of other makers; a RCBS tumbler and scale, can't even remember who made my dial caliper.............

Make sure you get several reloading manuals.

benzuncle

I'm not an Old Timer; I'm a Good Timer!

The Warden put a handgun magazine in my Christmas Stocking last Christmas (2007). God Bless Her! There was an article about reloading. I musta read it 40 times. Oh Jeez! Then, I did just like a lot of previous posters recommended, I read, read and read. I got on forums and lurked. You can learn a huge pile just lurking. (I also learn to use the search feature so I didn't ask redundant questions.) I deduced that all of the major brands build good quality ammo. After all was said and done I narrowed my choices down to two conditions: I wanted something that would not set me back an arm and a leg in case I didn't like it, and I wanted something that I could sort of "grow into" in case I did. The perfect solution for me was the Lee Classic Turret Press. As with many other loaders, YMMV. Once I decided on the rig, I did the digging as to where to get it. Kempf Gun Shop (www.kempfgunshop.com) had a kit and some upgrades that suited me perfectly. The other reason that I chose them was that they had everything in stock at that moment in time. And they shipped it fast! I have since bought some other items from Midway but while their inventory is huge, they do have a backorder problem on occasion. (That doesn't make'em bad guys.) Here's my list and the cost last January:
Lee Classic Turret Press Kit for 45ACP:$149.95
Upgrade to Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure:$11.95
Upgrade to Lever Prime System for Lg. & Sm. Primers:$8.00
Lee Safety Powder Scale:$20.95
Kinetic Bullet Puller:$14.95
SS Dial Caliper:$24.95
Thumler Tumbler Model UV-10 with cleaning media:$99.95
Kit included 6-50 round ammo boxes$0.00
Total $330.70 To this setup, I have since added a Lee Charge Bar:$10, and 4-hole turret and the carbide dies for 380acp for another $34.00. I have about $110 in my bench, which is basically a 2ft. x 4ft. x 6ft high bench and storage unit, and 4ft. fluorescent light.

Can you save money reloading? Absolutely. Of course, you may shoot up your savings by hitting the range more often, but that's the price you pay for fame! I do not have the itch to buy something bigger, faster or more expensive. I DO have the itch for that next handgun, but the reloading will make that itch more scratchable. I wish you the best in your deliberations and decision. Be sure to search for threads on loading benches. You'll glean some good ideas from the pix the other loaders have posted. Good luck to you!

CrustyFN

Since you are loading pistol rounds I would suggest starting with at least the Lee classic cast turret press. A single stage will be too slow. The other brand turret presses aren't much faster than a single stage. If you need 2,000 rounds a month or more and don't have a lot of time to reload then I would suggest a progressive. I load on a Lee classic turret and think it's an awesome press. It's very reliable, very sturdy and has been problem free for me for the last two years. I have loaded thousands of rounds on the press and it has produced very good ammo. I can load 200 rounds per hour at a comfortable pace. I load for four calibers and have a good scale, tumbler, dial caliper, hammer type puller and other odds and ends and am into it for around $350 to $400. Here is my setup.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy and welcome to reloading.
Rusty