Who posted pic of Marlin 1895 GBL?

tulsamal

I've done the Search thing a couple of times now but can't find one particular picture. It was one of the many threads about the Marlin 45/70's. I always read those because I was interested in getting a Guide Gun one of these days. And I thought I wanted the stainless one with the rail already mounted.

During one of those threads, somebody here posted a picture of their new 1895 GBL. Blue with dark laminate stock, pistol grip. It is a very nice look plus they had added some custom touches. It flipped me from my idea of stainless to the GBL. I added it to my Wish List on Bud's and recently they finally got some in stock and I ordered it. I'm now waiting impatiently for my transfer dealer to receive it. While I wait, I'm wondering what else I should buy to go with it?

I thought if I found the picture I could see what that guy had done since I obviously liked the look. But I've gone through dozens of threads and can't find it. Hopefully the person who posted it will see this thread and check it out!

I know we have lots of other people who are interested in this type of rifle. What additions or modifications should I be thinking about right out of the box? It's the model that looks like this:

zoom-1895GBL.jpg

I looked on Midway and they sell a one piece ejector to replace the two piece model. Made by Wild West Guns and has great reviews. Available in blue or stainless. They also sell a replacement trigger from WWG's.

If I wanted to put a short rail on it for a ghost sight, what's the preferred solution?

I guess I just have to live with the safety?

What about a sling? Type and attachment points?

Thanks everybody!

Gregg

jgcoastie

Made by Wild West Guns and has great reviews.
If it is made by the Wild West Guns (Wildalaska, as he is known here on TFL) then I'm not surprised, as it is almost boringly common for his products to be highly praised by all who've used them.

If I wanted to put a short rail on it for a ghost sight, what's the preferred solution?
If the receiver is already drilled and tapped, then all you'd need to do is mount a rail on it. I only found aluminium 1-piece rails, but Warne makes this 2-piece set in steel. I highly recommend Warne bases.

If it's not drilled and tapped, then I'd take it to a competent gunsmith and have them do it.

I guess I just have to live with the safety?
What's wrong with it?

Well, you're kinda obligated to go with a leather sling for such a good-looking rifle, one such as this would be a nice fit I would think. Sling swivels are included, so all's you need to do is connect them to the studs.

Disclaimer: The following is a shamless plug for Wild West Guns...
Any serious modifications to your 1895 that you're considering, talk to Wildalaska. His shop is known all over Alaska and much of the Tiny 48 as the absolute #1 for Marlin lever gun modifications. Shoot him a PM if he doesn't stop by this thread shortly.

Last edited:

Abel

XS and Skinner's peep sighs screw into the rear scope base holes. No rail needed.

http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html

Use whatever sling you like. This rifle comes with sling studs installed. The Uncle Mike's style QD sling swivels work great and come on many slings already sewn in.

Here is a nice leather-made sling:

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_rifle_slings.htm

The "Slim-line" model is the better one for me; I really hate the big wide slings.