Who owns an Ed Brown Kobra...

WVsig

I am looking to get a 5" Ed Brown Kobra. I have a line on one LNIB under $1,700.00. It has about 50 rounds down the pipe.

I have a Les Baer TRS but would love to add another high end 1911 to the stable.

I am looking for first hand info from owners of Ed Brown Kobras. How does their blue hold up? How about their Gen III coating?

kylen

I am sure it is an excellent firearm and top of the line 1911. But I will never pay those kind of prices. Just me. I am sure others will...

MC 1911

I have the SF in Gen3 coating which is basically the same gun except for cosmetics. With over 1000 rds. thru it & not 1 ftf,fte etc.

It has been flawless and its a tack driver. I believe you would be VERY happy with the KC!! The Gen 3 holds up very well & mine shows no holster wear.:)

KyJim

I own a couple of Browns including 5 inch Brown Special Forces. It's the same as the Kobra except that it has stippling on the front strap and main spring housing instead of scales. I also own two Baers.

I obviously think highly of both guns since I own more than one of each. Both are excellent quality guns built on different philosophies. Browns have a superior finish. They make everything on their guns except for springs and grips. I think of them as a refined and reliable Italian race cars. Baers are very tight (but you know this) and I think of them as great muscle cars.

The Brown Gen III is nice and mine is holding up very well, though it is a "shake and bake" finish. The bluing is supposed to be top notch, though not a mirrored blue.

Here is a link to a post you might find interesting and informative:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=3099244&postcount=19

BTW, that sounds like a pretty decent price.

Shadi Khalil

I do, then my alarm goes off and I'm back to face my Ed Brownless existince. Seriously though, from the one I handled I'd say if you got the scratch, scoop it.

Sturmgewehre

I have a Kobra and it's an outstanding 1911. Brown makes some of the best 1911's out there.

At $1700 I would buy it, if it were me.

KyJim said:
I obviously think highly of both guns since I own more than one of each. Both are excellent quality guns built on different philosophies. Browns have a superior finish. They make everything on their guns except for springs and grips. I think of them as a refined and reliable Italian race cars. Baers are very tight (but you know this) and I think of them as great muscle cars.

Not sure regarding springs/grips statement was about Baers or Browns. Just in case, Les' frames, slides, and barrels are from a proprietary company. He receives them in raw forged forms and takes it from there. I think he makes his own springs as well. He specifically stated the grips and aforementioned components are the only items he doesn't manufacture. Brown's a superior finish? My Baer's bluing hasn't shown any wear, although I have heard Ed Brown's finish has tendencies to be more resistant to wear. You're right about the two having different philosophies. Les loves to make the tolerances nonexistant. Brown doesn't believe in making something to tight that a bushing wrench and a lot of muscle is a prerequisite for field stripping.

KyJim

Not sure regarding springs/grips statement was about Baers or Browns. Just in case, Les' frames, slides, and barrels are from a proprietary company. He receives them in raw forged forms and takes it from there. I think he makes his own springs as well. He specifically stated the grips and aforementioned components are the only items he doesn't manufacture.
Sorry about the imprecise language. I was referring to Browns making everything but springs and grips. Springs are Wolff. I'm not sure about the grips.

P.S. Added:
On the finish, I wasn't referring only to the bluing or shake 'n bake coatings. I was referring more generally to the overall refinement to the appearance. For example, sometimes you'll see overruns on the hand checkering on Baers; a small thing that doesn't effect function. You don't see this on the machined checkering by Brown. Again, a difference in philosophy.

Last edited:
Not a problem, KyJim. I wondered if it was merely a mistake in reading your context given the fact you consistently provide solid information...

kkramer673

I've had a Kobra Carry for a few years. I like the snakeskin treatment for grasping grooves; I find them easier to use. Mine happens to be blued, but the Kobra series are great looking weapons that funtion perfectly. The only concern I have is peening of the slide stop notch, which other brown owners have also experienced. I sent the slide back to Brown to be fixed, but there's still some evidence of peening.

If you're able to find a 5" Kobra with only 50 rounds fired for $1,700, I think you're looking at a great value.