who makes those little 410 or 45 colt derringers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

big daddy 9mm

are they still in production??? do they last? would I be correct in thinking that they are loud as f@#$?? what all calibers do they come in??? I have held one in 22mag but that is it. thank you for the info. :) :) :confused: :confused:

omegapd

I think that Bond Arms or something like that is the only ones still making them in large calibers. I know Davis and a couple other inexpensive brands make them in .38 and possibly 9mm. I've never shot one, so don't know much about them. I'd take a guess that accuracy would be poor and another guess that the bullets probably tumble like crazy since the barrel is so short.

k_dawg

Bond Arms makes them in tons of calibers.

The .410 is popular around here, loaded with snake-shot.. best small-weapon against cotton-mouths.

jrklaus

Question for you all about American Derringer. I've been on their website lately, and tried to email them for an answer, but the email got returned to me undeliverable.

Their website only lists a few calibers for the Model 1 Derringer, but they used to make it in a wide variety of calibers that the website no longer lists. Have they stopped making the other calibers, or are they just not listed on the website?

Thanks!

nemesis

I would love to ccw one of those maybe as a bug.

There's a local guy that shows up at my buddy's pistol range from time to time. He arrived one day with a new Bond derringer; a Big Bore; but I don't recall if it was .44 Special or .45 Colt. My memory says .45 Colt because I believe he mentioned shotshells.

He was proud and all excited as he showed his new gun to everyone. He then proceeded out to the range where he fired 3 rounds before putting the gun away.

We haven't seen it since and I am unaware of whether he sought medical attention or just let his hand heal naturally.

almark

jrklaus...

I know they have other models of derringers in different calibers. I thought the model 1 was always .410/.45 LC. Could be wrong though. I'll see what I can find out... they might've folded under for all I know.

chris in va

Here's the one I've seen at local gun shows. It's not that small though.

97646507717oh.jpg

longspurr

45/410 derringer
If there is a bigger waste of metal & money I don't know what it is!!!

I have one and was excited about trying it out. I wanted to know something about the loss of power in that kind of barrel so for a crude test I grabbed a chunk of 4x4 about 6" long and fired at it with a skeet load of #9's from about 5 ft. I sure was glad I had shooting glasses on because a good portion of the pellets just bounced off the wood 4x4!!! The rest of the pellets that stuck in the wood were barely bury'ed their diameter into the post.

A Rem 45LC load was up next and I think it was just completely bury'ed into the post.

With that little power I'm keeping it in the drawer until I have a use to shoot blanks or maybe a cowboy shoot where all I have to do is ring a plate.

For self defense it makes a poor club to beat a guy with after you insult him with a stinger.

big daddy 9mm

if I ever did get a one I would

get one in a caliber that I could control. I would not get 44 or anything huge like that. amybe something in 38 or 9mm...

Glenn E. Meyer

American Derringer's status is unclear. One written report had them going under but someone said that they weren't. I don't see them advertising lately.

almark

Yah... I'm gonna be swinging through Waco this weekend... Might make a foray out there and see if they're still in business or not. I'll report back if I find anything.

XavierBreath

97646507717oh.jpg

I took care of a fellow who shot himself with one of these. .45 Long Colt. He dropped the gun on a tile floor, it landed on the hammer and fired. The bullet hit him in the lower leg. It shattered his tibia, which needed pinning. I recieved him about six days later to heal up the wound. It was a nasty one that required debridement for about a month before we started making progress.

If you get one of these, be very cautious. He showed me the Derringer, but I did not examine it to see how it functioned or if the sear was buggered up. He wanted to sell it to me, but I didn't want it. Since, I have met a "Blood Gun" collector, and kind of regret that. The patient's wound and fracture indicated that he was shot from the level of his feet, so I do not think he was just playing around with the gun and did not want to admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.