Who makes the best scope bases and Why.

Bill Daniel

Who makes the best scope bases and why. Savage round back for Leupold Mark 4 rings. Need 20 MOA and would like one piece.
Thanks,
Bill Daniel

sserdlihc

I have always used Leupold bases for all of my rifles. Since you are using Leupold rings, it would seem like the most logical choice.

Bill Daniel

Thanks sserdlihc but Leupold doesn't make a one piece base for Savage. Remington yes but not Savage.
Thanks though.
Bill Daniel

surveyor

best bases and why varies depends on what you believe..

some folks like a steel base mounting to a steel receiver as they feel that they are same metals and expansion characteristics ...

look for offerings from warne tactical and others..

others don't see a problem using a aluminum base with a steel receiver..

look for offerings from evolution gun works (egw guns) among others..

same views as far as ring construction..apply..

aluminum rings on aluminum base, vs steel rings on steel base..

I had a warne 0 moa base and it was solid, but I needed a 20 moa base and

put a EGW one on i have been happy with it..and IOR lightweight rings

so I'm not going to say what's best.. just tossing different views out..

limiting factor in my mind is no matter what base, the mounting screws can only take so much torque anyway.

Rembrandt

Dave Talley for quick release features.......Conetrol for looks. Both are outstanding products.

(Ooooops, didn't read it close enough, see you were asking about bases, sorry)

insomni

best scopes for what purpose?

close (<100m) Eotech. Maybe not the best, but my favorite. Rugged, dependable, hold their zero REALLY well, GREAT reticles

far: Leupold, Zeiss, or Nikon. Far optics are all about the quality of the glass. there's no shame in buying a good scope that costs 2 or 3x as much as the rifle you mount it on.

PS big nod to Trijicon for the ACOG. The Fiber optic model the army and marines bought is absoulte medium range tactical artwork.