Who makes +P 10mm soft flat nose ammo? I cant find any......

jmr40

I can't recall ever seeing any. There are several options for semi wadcutter hardcast ammo loaded hotter from Buffalo Bore, Double Tap and others. I wouldn't be afraid of the HP ammo for hunting but if not the hardcast may be your only option.

reddog81

Buffalo Bore, Double Tap or Underwood has some pretty hot 10mm ammo.

9mm, 38 Special and 45 ACP are the only common calibers with +P designation. +P designation are typically given to older cartridges from the turn of the 19th Century that are still popular but modern firearms can easily handle the extra pressure.

44 AMP

Staff
+P designation are typically given to older cartridges from the turn of the 19th Century that are still popular but modern firearms can easily handle the extra pressure.

Not exactly. "+p" is a SAAMI designation, and applies ONLY to certain SAAMI tested and approved loadings. It has a specific meaning, and pressure level for those loads. IF SAAMI hasn't tested and approved it, its not "+p". And there is no such thing as +p+ exactly.

People USE the term "+p" describing higher than standard pressure loads but its not a precise term. SAAMI +p is a precise term, a specific level of pressure increase (15% if I remember right) but ONLY applies to those specific cartridges and loads and NOTHING else. There is no 10mm +p recognized by SAAMI, and while a maker can call it +p you have no way of knowing if it is 1% over standard pressure or 150%.

It doesn't have anything to do with the age of the cartridges introduction, it has to do with what SAAMI has tested and approved.

And just fyi the 9mm Luger, .38 Special and .45ACP are all 20th century rounds. 1902 and 1910, respectively. The 19th century had already "turned".

Cheapshooter

Nobody....There is no such thing!
However, some boutique ammo makers make what they falsely claim as +P in several calibers that do not exist on the SAAMI +P list. They are either loaded in excess of SAAMI listed pressure, or the people making it are simply using the term falsely to hype their ammo.

reddog81

It doesn't have anything to do with the age of the cartridges introduction, it has to do with what SAAMI has tested and approved.

And just fyi the 9mm Luger, .38 Special and .45ACP are all 20th century rounds. 1902 and 1910, respectively. The 19th century had already "turned".

FWIW 38 Special was designed in 1898, 9mm in 1902 and 45 ACP in 1904. All pretty close to the turn of the century.

Sorry if I implied all older cartridges get a +P variation. I meant that only older cartridges are ones that have ever received +P variations.

agtman

There is no such thing as '+P 10mm' or '10mm+P' ammo. :rolleyes: That's someone's marketing B.S.

You choices are:

(a) Full-power/high performance 10mm ammo which meets or exceeds the original Norma velocity/energy standards for a particular bullet-weight.

Typically you'll find your most effective 10mm 'handgun hunting' loads at this level. E.g., Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Underwood. Reed's Ammo is worth a look as well.

(b) 'Mid-range' 10mm ammo - less than full-power but still significantly above .40S&W velocity/energy levels (which, again, will vary depending on bullet-weight);

(c) .40-duplicating junk - this stuff deceptively masquerades as '10mm' ammo on the label, but in use yields only watered-down performance from the more expensive 10mm case. :rolleyes: Majorly avoid, ... and while you're at it, get set-up to reload for your 10mm.

On the other hand, if that's all the performance you're seeking, DON'T get a 10mm.

Just get a .40 pistol and be done with it. :cool:

Last edited:

AgedWarrior

Nobody makes any such thing because it would foul up the barrel in short order.
Yeah, you can count me a bit curious at this comment too. A jacketed soft point will foul the barrel?

In regards the OP I think the best answer is available to those who load their own. I load cast 200 grain bullets for my 10mm that are quite effective; excellent penetration. Other wise Buffalo Bore and the like of those already mentioned sell fairly stout 10mm ammo.

wild cat mccane

Sure they make it. Or am I missunderstanding? It sounds like you want jacketed soft point. Those are called JSP.

Federal Trophy 10mm 180gr JSP.

stagpanther

If you want to be a secret agent man, you have to roll like a secret agent man, it's code (for pressure beyond SAAMI spec)--Charlie Wax, From Paris With Love

stagpanther

If you need a penetrator type bullet--you might think about Lehigh defense penetrators/self-defense/controlled chaos solid bullets. Some of the most accurate 9mm and 10mm pistol bullets out of my guns. They can be driven very fast, too.

Forte S+W

PatientWolf said:
I’m curious. Why would a jacketed soft point foul up the barrel?

Because the 10mm Auto cartridge is a high pressure round, ergo the unjacketed portion of the lead could melt while it's still in the barrel.
Granted that this wouldn't become a problem until after the barrel had been heated by having quite a few rounds fired through it, ergo it is unlikely to manifest itself in the field, but it could occur in short order at the range if someone decides to blaze through a couple of boxes of it while training.

Cheapshooter

Sure they make it. Or am I missunderstanding?
Perhaps missunderstanding that there is no such thing as a +P 10MM. +P is a term used by SAAMI as a designation for ammo loaded in excess of standard pressure, but within the pressure of +P foe specific rounds.10MM not being one of them.
However, boutique ammo makers have made common practice of claiming +P loads for all sorts of rounds that there is no actual +P specifications for. Either to denote that their ammo is over the pressure specified by SAAMI, or as advertising hype to sell ammo to people who don't know what SAAMI standards are, ant think by adding +P to the name they are getting some sort of wonder ammo that exceeds all performance of good quality major manufacturers ammo.

MarkCO

Gas cutting, smear, and fracture are the ways lead leaves the exposed base and rear of the shank. Gas cutting is dependant on flame temp primarily, smear depends on the combination of hardness and speed, fracture on the combination of hardness and pressure. If you cut fracture, you usually increase smear and vice versa.

Why there are gas checks on heavy, hardcast bullets that get shot out of powerful cartridges. The OP's post looks to be referring to lead, not jacketed bullets, so Forte S +W's comment makes sense in that realm.

So yeah, you are not going to find a lot of 10mm lead bullets suitable for hunting, and those available are going to be hard cast lead.

Forte S+W

Cheapshooter said:
Perhaps missunderstanding that there is no such thing as a +P 10MM. +P is a term used by SAAMI as a designation for ammo loaded in excess of standard pressure, but within the pressure of +P foe specific rounds.10MM not being one of them.
However, boutique ammo makers have made common practice of claiming +P loads for all sorts of rounds that there is no actual +P specifications for. Either to denote that their ammo is over the pressure specified by SAAMI, or as advertising hype to sell ammo to people who don't know what SAAMI standards are, ant think by adding +P to the name they are getting some sort of wonder ammo that exceeds all performance of good quality major manufacturers ammo.

These so-called +P loads are the worst because not only do the manufacturers rarely provide any load data or helpful statistics such a peak chamber pressure in order to identify or gauge how much more powerful they really are compared to Standard Pressure SAAMI Spec loads.

Buffalo Bore is by far the worst offender because there's no consistency whatsoever with their self-proclaimed "+P" loads, ergo one load for one cartridge will evidently be substantially more powerful than Standard Pressure loads based on the weight/velocity of the load, whereas others look barely any better than ordinary loads because they boast a whopping 50fps over average factory loaded SAMMI Spec ammo. Ergo you end up with their so-called ".45 Long Colt +P" loads which are basically loaded to .44 Magnum specs and their so-called ".380 ACP +P" loads which don't even seem like they're actually overpressure at all, merely loaded straight to the threshold of SAAMI Specs. So apparently it all depends on how much powder they can squeeze into the case.
Worse yet is that the closest thing they offer to safety guidelines is a short list of firearms that they've testfired it out of, so basically if you don't own any of the guns on the list, then don't buy the ammo, I guess? Worse yet is when they tack on a bit of worthless, nondescript information like; "I swapped out the stock recoil spring for a heavier aftermarket spring." without any specification regarding how much heavier a recoil spring they used, nor do they provide any specifics regarding how many of their loads they actually fired through their list of guns to determine safety/reliability.

Honestly, the only help Buffalo Bore ever provided me is convincing me not to buy their ammo at all and that if I wanted a more powerful gun then I should buy a new one chambered in a more powerful cartridge rather than experimenting with their overpressure mystery loads.