Who makes Kahr's magazines?

veprdude

Does Kahr make them in house? I picked up some Wilson Combat 1911 Stainless mags and the metal and spine welds look super close to those on a Kahr mag.

Armybrat

Don’t know the answer for sure, but I once heard their mags were outsourced to Italy. Probably heard wrong though.

Kahr brand mags are one of the gun’s frequent complaints from what I’ve read on Kahrtalk.
Plastic followers have never excited me that much, and at least one manufacturer makes good aftermarket metal replacements that get good reviews from users.
I just bought a Mecgar officer’s mag for my CW45, and it functions fine.

However, all the mags for my PM9, CW9, and CT 380 function properly - save for one extended magazine (7 rounder for the CW45).

wild cat mccane

Kahr makes them right here in the US.

They are the worst magazines in the world.

50% of Kahrtalk technical conversations are about how Kahr mags don't work in Kahr guns.

Split at the weld, spitting rounds, patented terrible placement of second round, shattered follower, updating follower with no recall or information to consumers in 2018, +1 expended mags typically do not work, etc.

If Wilson uses a Kahr magazine, it's a real tribute to Wilson guns that they function at all.

:)

Good convo on how terrible they are with quoting from Kahr tech support:
https://www.kahrtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-2415.html

I have owned new multiples of the PM40, CW9, PM9, CM9, P380, CW380.

Polinese

Wow I don't shoot or carry my Kahr K40 that often but I had no idea the mags had such a bad rep. I've personally never had issues with mine.

As for plastic followers I feel like i'd prefer metal but most of my various magazines rifle or pistol have plastic and some of my metal follower mags are some of my least reliable (springfield 7rd)

JohnKSa

Administrator
There's a company (Lakeline LLC) that makes aluminum followers for the Kahr mags (I haven't any experience with their products), and Kahr sells steel floorplates to replace the plastic ones.

A standard Kahr 9mm mag runs about $44, the aluminum followers are $20 apiece and the metal floorplate kits are about $18. So if you want to upgrade a mag, it will run you $38. If you want to buy a new mag and upgrade it, you're talking about $82. That's a little steep. Actually a lot steep.

So I compromise. I haven't had any trouble with followers personally--I can't even see that the barrel is hitting them in my guns which is what supposedly causes the breakage problem.

I also haven't had any problems with the internal plastic floorplate retainers, in fact they seem like they provide a more positive retention than the metal retaining plates do. So the only change I make is to replace the plastic floorplates with metal ones for about $9 a mag which means that my mags cost me about $53 apiece with the upgrade.

FITASC

I never had an issue with my CM9 on anything, let alone mags. It only went away because I bought a SIG P365 which is the same size but holds almost twice as much

wild cat mccane

Kahr updated the follower in 2018 using the Lakeline concept. They never told consumers, offered a recall, or anything the like.

With no updates to the gun, an update to a follower? Kinda strange...

105kw

I've had 3 Kahr Pistols, a K9, P9, and a P45.
And had a total of 12 Kahr mags, 7 in 9mm, and 5 in 45.
After doing the factory suggested 200 round break in, I never had any problems at all with the Pistols or mags.
For the record, the 45 had a failure to lock open in the first 25 rounds. After break in it fed everything I ran in it.
The 9mms had 2 cases of failure to go fully into battery, again within the first 50 rounds of break in. After break in no more failures.
Eventually I traded all three off to get new stuff, I really regret trading the K9, it was a good gun.

Ruger45LC

Once upon a time I had a few Kahrs, probably 10 years ago or so. On the small .40 model, think it was the CM40, the magazine follower would often break into pieces. It only happened on the last round of the mag, what was happening was that under recoil the barrel ramp would make contact with the exposed plastic follower and would break it in short order. They would send me replacements but at that point I figured I'd better move on to a better thought out weapon. For a while there they were a serious consideration when you wanted a small semi auto but with the explosion of micro guns over the last decade, they're not very relevant anymore and with what they put out, I can see why.

lee n. field

Once upon a time I had a few Kahrs, probably 10 years ago or so. On the small .40 model, think it was the CM40,

I picked up one of those a few months ago. Local guy, Gunbroker auction, minimal bid.

Wow, is it "barky". Not difficult to shoot, but not plesant either.

the magazine follower would often break into pieces. It only happened on the last round of the mag, what was happening was that under recoil the barrel ramp would make contact with the exposed plastic follower and would break it in short order. They would send me replacements but at that point I figured I'd better move on to a better thought out weapon. For a while there they were a serious consideration when you wanted a small semi auto but with the explosion of micro guns over the last decade, they're not very relevant anymore and with what they put out, I can see why.

Noted. Will watch out for this.

wild cat mccane

The mag shatter is specifically GOING to happen in the .40.

This typically doesn't happen in the 9mm.

I learned about the Kahr 40 mag follower shatter issue with my PM40 (that's the expensive version of the CM40). That isn't to say I think it happens because it happened to me. It happened to me and then I went researching Kahrtalk. It will happen with the Kahr 40s.

Last edited by a moderator:

wild cat mccane

Your P40 would have shatter mag followers eventually if you didn't do the rampectomy. Some go a thousand, some like mine happened in the first outing. They all use the same 40 mag. But if you do the rampectomy, you can run into feed issues.

You had a magical CW380. :) Kharforum has a list of 380 factory rounds that are likely NOT going to work in the CW380. Interestingly it's FMJ. There is a consensus that amount of rounds or "break in" isn't going to fix the rounds that hang thanks to shape and OAL.

Last edited:

Jabski

Yeah, lucky me.
I’ve owned no 40 Kahrs, but 2 45’s, one 380, and 3 9mm’s.
Love the things. had 2 problems from one( the 380). FTF and FTE. Before I learned how to properly grip it. No problem ever after that with either type ammo.
Still have my K9, CM9, P45, and wouldn’t trade them for the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishbed77

Kahr makes them right here in the US.

They are the worst magazines in the world.

In all fairness, I’ve never had a single problem with the standard flush-fit/metal baseplate magazines for the MK9/PM9/CM9. The feed angle is weird, but the mags are durable and they always work.

On the other hand, the extended mags with plastic baseplates are a hot mess.

wild cat mccane

My experience too Fish with two past CM9s. PM40 extended never worked for me.

But the new updated mag follower is an update to all mags including the flush fit.