Who makes a stainless walnut gun still

pabuckslayer08

Well I'm trying to find a gift for my dad in hopes of eventually getting him on a trip to Canada. I know synthetic is best but I want him to have a nice walnut gun with the rust resistance of stainless. I know the x bolt stainless hunter but it got discontinued an the only other I've found is the cdl sf limited gun. Not sure on cal yet I know he's a die hard 30 06 fan but I'm thinking I should get him the 300 ultra or rem mag

BillM

Savage 14/114 American Classic Stainless

Ruger M77 Laminate and stainless

Browning X Bolt White Gold

Remington Model 700 CDL SF

Metal god

Holy cow other then the Ruger those are some nice rifles . Browning is my fav what a gorgeous rifle . I love the 700 for it's classic look and the savage is pretty nice as well .

What are you going up north to hunt ? Those are some heavy recoiling calibers you have in mind . Great for the bigger game but not so much on the older shoulder . If thats the caliber thats needed thats what you should get . It would be unfortunate if he were only able to injoy it for a couple of seasons do to it becoming more and more uncomfortable to shoot . I'm really becomming a fan of the 7mm mag . Plenty of punch with a little less recoil .

Just a thought , hope it helps .

taylorce1

Winchester was making a Stainless Laminated M70 called the Alaskan pretty sweet rifle and in the 06, but I was eying one in .375 H&H a while ago. Alas out of my price range for what I was willing to spend on it. Winchester used to do a Classic FWT in SS pretty nice looking rifles and if I could find one that wasn't outrageously priced in .270 I'd have one.

If I really wanted a SS and wood stock the easiest thing to do is just buy the rifle you want in SS regardless of the stock. There are several factory take off stocks as well as wood stock suppliers that offer basically drop in stocks for rifles like the M70, M700, and M10/110. I wouldn't rely on current production to come up with the rifle I wanted. I'd just buy a used SS rifle or new production Ultimate Shadow M70 Winchester, SS SPS M700 Remington, M77 Hawkeye AW Ruger or a Weather Warrior M11/111 Savage, order up a Boyd's laminate or walnut stock in either a classic or prairie hunter and be done for around $100 more.

pabuckslayer08

Good ideas guys I kind of like the savage actually. Recoil really isn't much of an issue an at this point the animal is unknown. I'm hoping a caribou black bear an salmon trip but it could vary to a moose trip

jmr40

I think the ss/walnut part has been answered, but for this.

Not sure on cal yet I know he's a die hard 30 06 fan but I'm thinking I should get him the 300 ultra or rem mag

Stick with a 30-06. He probably does not need anyhing larger and unless he has shot the magnum rounds a lot probably won't like them.

well... if it doesn't have to be a current production, perhaps you could find one of these on Gun Broker... or ???

about a year ago, I was in my local Gun Store, & this rifle caught my eye... gorgous wood, nice stainless, fluted barrel, jeweled bolt, etc... I picked it up, & it was an unfired 100th aniversary of the 30-06, in a Remington 700... never even had a scope mounted on it... I was able to do a trade for a Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 30-06 & just a little cash for the rifle... I still haven't shot it, would think it was made in 2005 or 2006, since that was the 100th year of the cartridge...

oh... BTW... it had a really nicely engraved mag floor plate stating 100th aniversary of the 30-06 cartridge... maybe not special to too many, but it's one of my favorites, & so far only a wall hanger for me ( I have several bolt action 30-06's so I don't "have" to shoot it ) but may someday, just because it's such a nice rifle... if you could find a rifle like that, I'm guessing it would be your fathers new favorite...

here is one listed on Gun Broker right now... that looks just like mine, when I bought it...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=313005829

Last edited:

dgludwig

I don't know if they are still in production or not but I have a Savage Model 116 SE rifle that is walnut and s/s.

gman3

I recently bought a Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight Stainless with an awesome piece of walnut, brand new in the box from a dealer on Gunbroker. .30-06 with 22 inch barrel. It was a 2012 shot show edition, and I believe there were several others available for sale.

I have always wanted one, and when I saw it, I just had to have it. Shot less than MOA out of the box with 165 grain handloads, without any tinkering.

Sport45

I know synthetic is best but I want him to have a nice walnut gun with the rust resistance of stainless.

It's a personal thing, but I think blued steel and walnut looks much better. Do you think he's going to be neglecting it? With just a little care blue steel can last for generations.

And with enough neglect stainless firearms will rust.

jmr40

If you want something that looks cool, the SS/walnut guns certainly are. If you want something for wet, harsh conditions they don't make a lot of sense. The walnut is the weak link.

A blue metal finish over time in wet conditions or hard use will show scratches and surface rust much more easily than SS. But it takes a lot of long term neglect to reach the point where it effects the guns function. Even a SS gun neglected that bad will give you problems.

Wood on the other hand will often go from being perfect to useless in a matter of minutes, even seconds with no warning. No matter what you do, there is simpy no way to waterproof a piece of wood, and even if you did, it would not address the real problem.

Any wood stock has about 15-20% of its weight as water sealed inside the stock. If they removed any less at the kiln the wood would snap like a matchstick. Even if you completely seal the wood to prevent more water from getting in, this internal moisture expands and contracts as temperature, humidity and altitude change. This causes POI changes and occasionally split or cracked stocks.

The ultimate bad weather guns are syntheic and stainless. If I had to pick just one feature I'd 10X rather have a synthetic stock with blue metal for bad weather than a walnut stock and stainless metal.