Who makes a good 1911 5" SOB Holster?

Kreyzhorse

Just bought my Springfield TRP and it's becoming my daily carry piece. I've got a Galco Fletch that's my normal OWB carry holster for all of my carry pieces, but I'm thinking about a SOB holster for the 1911.

Can any one recommend a good small of the back holster? Any good or bad experiences with the SOB holster?

Thanks in advance.

BanditSRT8

Galco makes SOB's as well.

As for experiences, most will tell you that SOB is one of the worst ways to carry.

1) If you were to take a fall on your back, you could suffer spinal injury

2) Impossible to draw while seated in a car

3) Will print very easily, lean forward even slightly and it could print

4) Once someone has seen the outline, they can easily grab your gun from behind you, without you knowing until they've already made their move

5) A longer, and more difficult draw is not the best tactical choice

All that being said, I still own one really old SOB holster that was given to me for a Glock 19 and I keep looking at it wondering if that would be a style that would suit me. It would be comfy (as long as I'm not driving) but the disadvantages outweigh my curiosity honestly.

Kreyzhorse

3) Will print very easily, lean forward even slightly and it could print

That's good to know. My usual carry method is OWB at 8 o'clock regardless of what I'm carrying. My though process was that the SOB might be easy to hide on trips to Wally World but it makes sense that it would print very easily when leaning forward.

Thanks for the info.

ClarkEMyers

Andy Aratoonian and Lou Alessi but

Andy Aratoonian at Horseshoe and Lou Alessi offer SOB holsters as good as they can be made but a SOB holster is very much a special purpose not a general use holster.

Good for say standing behind a counter.

For most purposes I would give up the full size 1911 in favor of something easier to hide down to say a Rohrbaugh or 3913 before I would carry SOB much.

As it is I find a full size 1911 in GWH IWB and other Alessi leather does me just fine but I don't worry perhaps as much as I should about being recognized.

Musketeer

With a SOB you can also flash very easily and never know it thanks to a shirt riding up.

Having fallen on a craftsman autolock plier carried in a holster in the SOB I can tell you that it was UNPLEASANT. Having a gun there would be even worse.

dairycreek

SOB.jpg

Several years ago I bought a Galco SOB like the one in the pic for my Ruger SP101 snubby. Wearing it in the center of the back (right over the spine) was really uncomfortable when one had to sit down on a straight backed chair. It wasn't all that comfortable when one had to sit in any kind of chair either.

However, moving the SOB about an inch to the right of spine (I am right handed) made a tremendous, positive difference in both comfort and accessibility. Infinitely better on comfort and getting to the gun was much, much easier. Still use this holster a lot and with adjustments I recommend it highly.:D