Who makes 7x57?

Hafoc

I'm interested in a 7x57 bolt-action hunting rifle. I know I can look for a used one. CZ made them, or rather CZ still makes them but the idiots won't import them to the USA. Ruger made some, I think. I could get an Argentine Mauser or other surplus rifle. There are many other used rifles available.

But does anybody offer new ones in the USA?

It won't do any good tell me the cartridge you use is better than the 7x57. I already have the 7x57 ammo and reloading stuff. It would be more convenient if a new bolt gun could use it too, that's all.

Bigfatts

I don't know of any new bolt actions available in the US. There's always the option of rebarrelling a Savage. There's also the Encore.

Lawyer Daggit

Are Voere available in the US. If you google them you will note that they produce a very nice version of the 98 Mauser.

Good luck

garryc

Are Voere available in the US. If you google them you will note that they produce a very nice version of the 98 Mauser.

I can't find any new ones and the used ones are very expensive. I saw one version, not a 98 action, that looked an awfull lot like a Kelby Stolle action.

It won't do any good tell me the cartridge you use is better than the 7x57. I already have the 7x57 ammo and reloading stuff. It would be more convenient if a new bolt gun could use it too, that's all.

Actually, the current U.S. equivelant of the 7x57, the 7mm-08, is not quite up to 7x57 if you load the 7x57 to it's full potential in a modern bolt action. It is very close. The question becomes, how much are you willing to spend to save a $35 set of dies and some brass? It's your money, so if you want to spend a premeum price for a new 7x57 rifle that could be bought much cheaper in the same rifle in a differant chambering, because it's still in production, then go ahead. NIB 7x57 rifles like the REM 700 classic are not cheap. That being said, the Rem classic 7x57 I have is extreemly accurate. If I was to buy another 7mm today, being a reloader, it would be the 280 rem.

Last edited:

Hafoc

garryc,

It isn't so much saving the money. It's that I really like the 7x57. It would irk me; yea, verily, it perchance might even PEEVE me to have to pay anything extra just to switch over to a cartridge I consider inferior. Or at least not any better.

garryc

The reason I bought Rem 700 classics in 6.5x55, 7x57 and 8x57 was that they are in the Mauser cals. like alot of my C+R collection. To be practical, if it where not for that fact I would have bought another 280rem. That round is superior to a 7x57 velocity wise and since the 7x57 must be housed in the same long action it would be a better choice. Unfortunatly, Remington only lists it in the 700 LSS.

Lawyer Daggit

It never fails to amaze me how prices vary between countries. In Australia a Voere (basic not deluxe model) costs a couple of hundred more than a Remington Model 7 CDL.

I shoot a Winchester Model 70 in 7x57 Mauser and share your enthusiasm for this calibre. While I recognise many rounds are balistically similar, none share the mystique.

Scorch

I shoot a Ruger 77 in 7X57, same rifle I have shot for years. Bought other rifles in other chamberings, keep coming back to the 7X57. It just works.

FWIW, a used Ruger in a standard length action and $160 for an ER Shaw barrel will get you that 7X57 you are looking for.

garryc

FWIW, a used Ruger in a standard length action and $160 for an ER Shaw barrel will get you that 7X57 you are looking for

What he said except I'd go with a Savage LA. With that action you can easily convert it back to the original round. Even if you got it in a MAG head, the bolt heads are changeable.

Sarge

I love this old cartridge. My favorite 7mm was an old Remington Rolling Block that was missing the back sight, and had the rifling gone from the last 2 1/2" of barrel. I lopped it back even with the forend and then me & a gunsmith pal mounted a ramp & white bead. We then ran a ball mill across the bottom of an old Williams Guide so it would match the receiver.

When it was all screwed together it looked a little odd, but would group just under 2" with Privi Partizan 175 gr RN soft-points. I had about 15 boxes of those, bought out from a bait shop that closed.

While this rifle wasn't the most mechanically-accurate thing on earth, it was near-perfect in my hands and I pulled off the best running game shot of my life with it. It was just one of those 'magic' guns that when you plant the bead on something- it was done. The effect of those 175 SP's was remarkable.

The old rifle finally got to piercing primers and when it did you'd get a face full of hot gas; so away it went.

Hope you find the 7mm you want. It's a great cartridge and deserving of being kept alive another 50 years.

fisherman66

It's a great cartridge and deserving of being kept alive another 50 years.

I hope it last longer than that, but I will save my brass and do my part to keep Bell's elephant killer and Rigby's 275 alive and well.