Who likes SA sixguns?

Who likes old west style single action sixguns? I have shot most of the Ruger single action revolvers (along with some older Colts), and the grips on them are superb. These are the only handguns that point right on for me (I even have some sucess shooting from the hip at close range). They are one of the easiest revolvers to shoot accurately IMO. I only wish that some modern DA revolvers would be offered with the excellent grip and balance of the classic SA revolvers.

DennisE

I agree they are great! The best fun guns out there. I've currently got 3 Ruger SA and I'm hoping that this year Ruger will start making a .480 Ruger 5-shot SBH or Bisley. Dennis

Martowski

I've been thinking about one. I noticed that Cabela's offers one for $199. Is this a decent price? I understand it's made by Uberti?

Cap n ball

Martowski, Uberti makes some very high grade replicas. $200.00 sounds about right. I love shooting mine. I have a total of seven different ones now and each has it's pro and con features. For strength and simplicity as well as easy cleaning it's pretty hard to beat the Remington army models.

WIL TERRY

LIKE SINGLE ACTION SIXGUNS?

ARE YOU KIDDING??????????????????????????????

ALL GENUFLECT HERE PLEASE...

SA sixguns are the only real guns out there. The rest are all pretenders to the throne of handgundom.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Yeah my "other" revolver is a shiny stainless 44 vaquero with a 7.5 inch barrel.. its very cowboy.. not in a Clint Eastwood way.. but in a Lee Van Cleef way.. esp in a trailrider products cavalry holster i n crass draw and a set of ivorex grips. Sure is pretty, shoots good too.

Hard Ball

I am fond of them. An early production Euger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum and a Colt New Frontier .44 Special are two of my favorite guns. Very accurate and lots of fun to shoot.

M

M58

Have had three Rugers in .41; very nice for cowboy action and general fun!

Ned Roundtree

I love the balance of the Colt SAA. My wife has a pair of Third generation Colts, 7 1/2" b/ch in .357. If I'm good she lets me shoot them. My guns are a pair of Ruger Vaquero Bisleys b/ch in .357 with stag grips. Really nice. My sister in law shoots Cimarron Lightnings, 3 1/2" b/ch in 38 sp. These have the birds head grip and fit her hands just fine. I've tried to buy these from her. But no way she will let the consecutive numbered pair go.

WESHOOT2

Not trying to be a wanker but the SA doesn't do it for me.
They feel funny.
They're very difficult to reload quickly.
They're very difficult to fire rapidly.
They feel funny.

(Shot a new Vaquero last night, felt funny. Made decent group, though. Still felt funny.)

---------------------------------

"all my revolvers are DA revolvers"

P

PreserveFreedom

The only gun I have ever parted with was my Ruger Vaquero in 44 Magnum. I wasn't even planning on getting rid of it that day. I just happened to be looking at a Glock 22 with 3 high cap mags. My dealer knew how sweet my 44 was (it had a lot of trigger work done) and I am sure he missed it. He offered to trade me. I went home and thought about it. I came back about an hour later. I gave him my Vaquero and 5 boxes of factory 240 grain ammo. I got my Glock in exchange. Not a day goes by that I don't miss it. I still think I got a good deal. The Glock was only about a month old at the time. Someone bought it and then returned it. The next item on my wishlist is a pair of Ruger SA sixguns....but I am wanting Ruger Old Armys. I promised myself that I will treat myself to them when I get MasterCard paid off. That could be a while though.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Not that I'm biased or anything...

... but a Bisley Vaquero (preferrably .44 Mag), in polished stainless, with wood stocks and a 4 5/8" barrel, is The World's Prettiest Handgun. Just so you know. :D

PS Come on, WESHOOT2, stop being a wanker. ;) ;) ;)

Don S

I love old Peacemaker style sixguns. I have a 1976 Ruger .357 Blackhawk that I got for my 14th birthday (actually, a couple of months early). I'd like to get a Vaquero in .45 Colt.

My old neighbor (died this year at age 100) had an original smokless powder Colt Peacemaker in .45 Colt with the 7.5" barrel. 1900-1914 vintage, I believe. Very sweet. He let me and my friends shoot his guns, including a Luger with Nazi proofs and matching SNs, a Colt Police Positive .38 Special with chrome finish, and a "Government Property" Colt 1911A1. At the time, none of us were very good shots, but we all did best with that Peacmaker. We did really bad with the Luger, and I was real suprised later when I tried it and did well (my trigger control was alot better then).

Terrill

It is ashame that people think they need more than six shots!
View

RickB

I like my Colt a lot, but I don't see the "natural pointing" characteristics attributed to it (ditto with the Luger). In my hands the gun shoots VERY high if I go from the hip. It also is something of a hassle to dismount the cylinder every eighteen shots or so, to clean enough of the black powder fouling out to get the cylinder turning again. There is probably no more beautiful gun than a blue and case-colored Peacemaker with ivory stocks. Sometimes, I'll put mine in its El Paso "Duke Rig", and pose it on a table that is within my line of sight. If I'm reading or watching TV, just seeing it there makes me feel good. High on my list of "must get someday" guns is a Colt New Frontier in .45 Colt with ACP cylinder.

Terrill

Thanks Dennis, I wanted something a little different to walk around the woods with. It started as a "Liberty" model Ruger Blackhawk in .357. I traded my photography services to an engraver for her work and then ditto to a custom grip maker. Geno Denning did the knife. A local gunsmith is doing birdheads grip frames and I can take credit for fitting the Bisley hammer. Everyone should try a grip frame like that. It takes away any roll common to the single actions.