Who knew they did this.......

bswiv

So we went out to the woods yesterday ( Palatka, Fl. ) to check the game cams, ride the fence and put up some posted signs. In one area where I stoped the truck to check a spot where the brother in law had tossed some corn, Louann said that instead of going to look at the corn she was going to pick a few of the blackberries that were along the road.

I'd walked about a hundred yards down the road when the yelling started. Wasn't scared sounding yelling but more "what the *&^%" followed by a order for me to get myself over to where she was to look at what you see in the pictures.

Now when you look at the pictures notice first that there are no ripe berries on the bush. And then think about why there might not be any ripe berries on that particular bush.

Yes, that's right.....she had already picked them when she realized he was there.

The last picture is worth a close look.......yes I know it's not all that easy to see him in it but what is important is to notice how far up in the bush he had climbed.

He was a good 2 FEET off the ground all coiled up waiting for......well I'm not sure exactly what he was waiting for......but there he was.

No we did not kill him.

And I must ask.......I mean I know they climb logs and the like.....but who knew a pygmy rattler would climb up in a blackberry bush like that.

DSCN1683.jpg

DSCN1686.jpg

DSCN1687.jpg

MZ84

Woah. That gave me a cold chill. I know to look for snakes on the ground ... but in bushes? Oiy vey.

Buzzcook

I wonder if he gets birds that way. It might also be a temperature control thing.

Pretty neat stuff. Glad no one got bit, those pygmies have attitude problems.

Doyle

Typical pygmy rattler. You see them all balled up like that far more often than you see them stretched out.

BIG P

Seen them on top of fence post & in a pile of barbed wire.Never in the barries.Man that could mess up a fellows shorts lol.:D At least it was'nt a 20' PYTHON.

highvel

Darn good thing it wasn't an Diamondback under that bush, they tend to be a little grumpy when you interrupt their nap:D

Maxem0815

Waite you will see them coiled up in a cactus. Fantastic pictures and glad she did not get bit. Now when I go hunting I think I put on my chaps.

Mace

Happiness is a belt fed weapon with lots of ammo

GoOfY-FoOt

You guys watch too much T.V....
At least it was'nt a 20' PYTHON.
those pygmies have attitude problems
they tend to be a little grumpy

The "big" snakes you see running around in Florida, simply don't exist. The pic of the one that ate the gator and "exploded" was only 10-12 ft. long.

If Pygmies have an attitude, how come the missus picked all those ripe berries and the snake didn't even move?

Easterns are always wary, and appear grumpy. They just want to be left alone. Now, moccasins, on the other hand, will chase you. They are beyond grumpy. More like pure evil.

Glad she avoided a confrontation, and thanks for the great pics. You just never know what you will see in the woods...;)

Doyle

If Pygmies have an attitude, how come the missus picked all those ripe berries and the snake didn't even move?
Pygmies have a serious Napoleanic complex. They know they are small so they will try their best to hide out. However, if they know they've been made they'll become very aggressive. The good thing is that their small size severely limits their striking ability. If you go by the old rule-of-thumb that says 1/2 the snakes length, that only leaves about 9" of maximum strikeing distance.

The last one I saw near my house was crossing the street into my neighborhood. Not one to pass on an opportunity for target practice, I stopped and stood over him with my little Polish P-64 9x18. Took 4 shots to hit his little head. The first 3 shots all hit right next to it making him keep moving.

FrankenMauser

Easterns are always wary, and appear grumpy. They just want to be left alone. Now, moccasins, on the other hand, will chase you. They are beyond grumpy. More like pure evil.

I agree.

Most of the Pygmies I ran across just sat still, trying not to be noticed. If they did move, they took the quickest route away from the threat (human). I do know two people that were bitten by Pygmies, but they were "playing" with the snakes. :rolleyes:

Eastern Diamondbacks had about the same attitude the pit vipers have out west: "Get out of my area. Leave me alone. Don't get me irritated."

Moccasins were a completely different story. They were fearless, and would directly approach a threat of any size. I used to keep two machetes handy in my back yard, so I could cut the heads off the moccasins when I saw them. ...And the alligator snapper living in my little "pond" really enjoyed the free meals. ;)

highvel

Cotton Mouths are a WHOLE different snake, they are evil and I've killed more than I can count.
Fishing on the Appomattox River and Swift Creek area of OL' Virginie will learn ya quick.
Shoot fast and keep you're eyes open all the time!

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
And that my friends is why you use a staff or a walking stick when you are in the bush. I have a staff, my Grandma was fond of a hoe. Shake the bushes and then pick. Seriously I never go into the woods or for a walk in the desert without my staff. I never had to hurt a rattle snake but it was a great comfort knowing it was between them and me. Never needed a knife, machete or a gun for snake duty.

Now if that had been my Grandma by the time you got there there would have pieces of snake all over the place. :eek: We didn't share the same view of our reptillian friends. :D