Who hunts with a curio-relic

BJung

Nice

That's nice. I suppose you must cast and possibly paper patch for that too.

I've wanted to own a Swedish Rolling Block for years and possibly try hunting with it. It's close to a 50/70. But CA outlawed the use of lead bullets for firearm hunting so lead shooting is restricted to the range until CA bans lead bullets (which it has tried).

taylorce1

I've hunted with sporter versions of 1903 & A3 in .338-06 and .35 Whelen as well as a 1917 in .300 H&H. They were all modified so much I doubt they would be considered C&R anymore. I have a sporter .30-40 Krag carbine I'd love to hunt with some day.

Nodak1858

I have a bubba'd Mosin I've taken deer with. I put it in a synthetic stock, Timney trigger, 2x7 scope on a scout mount set up and cut the barrel down. It shoots as well as my Model 70. Or I use my Springfield Garand, 150 grain SP with 46grains IMR4895. Also have used my scoped K31 using 150 Corelokt bullets in pulled GP11 case and powder. All have taken deer and are fun to use.

BJung

My first rifle was a sporterized Enfield. With reloads, I shot 1" groups at 100 yards. I thought about buying a Moisin when they were inexpensive. You could throw them in a creek, pick it up, and it would still shoot while not caring what it looked like. I think curios are underrated when it comes to hunting. As long as you know where to place the bullet, what's the big deal.

FrankenMauser

I have hunted in the past with an 1895 Krag (.30 US), a Mosin M38, a Yugo 24/47, and an SKS.

If you want C&R but not necessarily 'mil-surp', I have used quite a few commercial shotguns, lever actions, and a couple bolt actions that are now C&R eligible.
And, of course, the good ole SP-1 is now in the C&R category. Many a jack rabbit was eliminated with the SP-1.

This year, I intend to use one or more of the 'surps - a different 24/47, a Yugo M48, maybe a Jap T99 (if I can get it put together), and/or maybe ... maybe a 1916 Spanish Mauser (7x57). The Spaniard doesn't seem to be much of a shooter, so I'd have to know that I had good short-range opportunities.

buck460XVR

I have 4 I regularly hunt with, all are over a hundred years old. Here's one I used about a month ago.......

index.php

ligonierbill

Last year I carried a 1948 vintage Marlin 336 32 Special sporting a Weaver 2.5 with a post reticle. Since I'm a 1949 vintage, that was two relics wandering the forest.

stinkeypete

1946 Ithaca Model 37 got out at least 3 times a week for pheasant season...

my 30-06 is a Remington Model 30 express, a remanufactured sporting rifle based on surplus m1917 parts from WWI I expect my granddad’s is from probably 1925 to pre ww2 And should probably look up the serial number but whatever! Still shoots well.

ammo.crafter

My first deer rifle was $29.00 German Mauser (8mm) circa WW II that I sportorized somewhat.

Many years later I replaced the stock with an oversized walnut/maple and the barrel with a heavy 26 inch and converted it to a 6mm Remington benchrest

Old Stony

I have a number of relics laying around here and occasionally I take one out hunting with me. I do a lot of hog hunting, and I've shot them with rifles like a 92 Winchester in 38/40, and a 73' Winchester src in 44/40. I'm getting pretty old now and I'm sure the vintage rifles I have will outlast me and still be good to go.

BJung

Relic Hog Hunting

Any photos of you with a hog and relic? I'm going to check if youtube has anything..

johnm1

Almost forgot. Fox Sterlingworth in 12 and 20 Gauge. I shoot the 12 so much better than the 20,but I love the 20 for its weight and how well it swings.

Attachments

• Fox Sterlingworth.JPG
    Fox Sterlingworth.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 22

Old Stony

Found a couple pics, probably have some more around here...
ZyUwyv7l.jpg

9jDeSgjl.jpg

Those are an original Trapdoor and a Winchester 92 in 38/40

moose fat

Mil-surps and C&R are what I usually use. Started deer hunting in the mid eighties with a Mod. 94, 30-30 made in 1948 in Washington State for Black Tail. Then moved to Sitka, Alaska and inherited my Grandfathers .250 Savage and used that and the Winchester hiking up and down the mountains around Sitka. I met my wife and moved to the lower Yukon River, lots of moose. My first moose rifle was/is a Winchester Model of 1917 that just loves 220 gr. Federal Round nose bullets. I got a C & R license and got an Ishapor 2a in 308,,,, then I decided my kids needed moose rifles. Yes I became a mil-surp'oholic, the prices were right too. I got a No.4 MkI BSA Shirley with a two groove barrel, it was a parts gun. Bought a cheek rest from Gun Parts a no-drill scope mount and turned it into a Faux 4T. I got some more No.4 Mk1's from different manufactures, a couple of Mk4 No.II's, a couple of Jungle Carbines. Got bit by the Garand bug and got a rebuilt Garand. Garands are a blast to hunt moose with! My favorite now is a Smith Corona 03-A3. :D