Who here has a High Standard .22?

RCS

I love my Model 107 military High Standard, and I was wondering who else here is lucky enough to own a HS. It is by far the most accurate gun I own, much more so than I am capable. Of course having no recoil to speak of, a bull barrel, and weighing 47oz helps.

[This message has been edited by RCS (edited July 07, 2000).]

garyo

RCS

I have a HS Sport King .22 and just love it.
It is about 23 years old and is the first gun I bought on my own. I recently had some FTF problems and went looking and found a HS web site that talked about proper mag lip sizing specs. I got my caliper out and adjusted per the spec sheet and all my FTF problems went away. After many thousands of rounds that gun shoots as good as the day I first bought it. It has also aided in the training of many friends and relatives.

------------------
Take Care

I have a few High Standards and am always in the market for more. They will spoil you for the lesser pistols, as will the Smith 41. garyo, could you provide a link to the site in question? Thanks.

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
In a very long and somewhat chequered career as a target shooter, I owned or shot about every .22 match pistol that has been made.

I loved the classic lines of the Woodsman...but the trigger sucked.
I was intrigued by the Walther, Hammerli, and Browning, but European hands are shaped differently from American ones, I guess. I couldn't get the intrinsic accuracy of these pieces to show up in match play.

The Smith 41 was a doozy...beautifully finished, incredibly accurate barrel...which felt like a fly rod at the firing line.

And then the High Standard. I have shot about all of the target models...Supermatics, Victors, etc., but the one I kept was a Supermatic Trophy Military with the 7-1/4" fluted barrel. Feels like a .45, shoots like a rifle. This is a Serious Pistol.

It wasn't perfect from the box...soft sear needed work, and the rear sight casting is still cockeyed when seen from the front. But I don't look at it from the front :)

Newbies Please Note!!!! The High Standard pistols that I am talking about are the products of the ORIGINAL Hi-Standard Mfg Co. in Connecticut.

The 'new' High Standards, made since 1982 and sold under the brands of Stoeger, Mitchell and the Houston TX firm, are in no way the equal of the originals; to be candid, I've only read an occasional positive comment about them, and many derogatory ones.

My High Standard is not for sale, now or ever!

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

Jeff OTMG

I have two Hamden Hi-Std Victors with the 5.5" barrel. Very nice pistols. I bought one back in 1982 and the second last April.

Rusty S

About a quarter century back I picked up an entry level target HS called the "Sharpshooter" w/ heavy barrel and full target sights. I had just bought a 9422 Winchester and mounted a 4 to 12 Bushnell also. I don't know the distance, but I was hitting soda cans most of the time with the riflescope at 12 power.

A while later in the session, I was standing on the rim of a 3/4 mile or larger open pit copper mine when I heard the shhsproing of the tube magazine disassembling itself ( the knurled end was pinned to the tube body and the pin fell out.

Going back to shoot at the same soda can I broke out the High Standard. With 5 1/2" bull barrel and open sights my groups opened from about 6" with the rifle and 12x scope to 8-9" with the pistol. Can't remember shooting a 22 rifle since.

Sold the Sharpshooter nearly 20 years ago to buy furniture when I got married. I did later pick up a 7" bbl sportking w/ fixed sights.

HEY!!! with the internet if anyone does sell a sharpshooter on the web, maybe I can replace the old one - off to the for sale listings.

------------------
John Moses designed it, I trust it, and that settles it.

Rusty S

NO! This is torture. Lots of 7" sportkings in near new shape for 3-350. Anything really worth having is worth having 3 of ( one to shoot, one for a spare, one in the shop ) so now I'm having a virulent attack of gun of the month club.

------------------
John Moses designed it, I trust it, and that settles it.

radom

Have a H-D military that I have had for years,just don't see any reason to get a new Ruger Target model. Very nice trigger for a auto pistol or anything for that matter,wife a daughter sure like to shoot the old beast. :) :)

AUCUP

I have a few High Standard in my collection. I shoot a Victor for bullseye competition. Bought and sold a number oft them over the years. I do, however, regret the time when I passed up on an opportunity to buy a "Giles" High Standard in a gun show. Excellent weapons.

RCS

My HS is of course one of the original ones. My dad bought it in the late sixties/early seventies. He traded his S&W highway patrolman .357 plus 20 bucks for it. Currently I am having a problem with it firing. When I pull back the slide and chamber a round it will fire, no problem. It will also chamber a new round, however it will not fire, as if the hammer had not been cocked when the slide recoiled after the first shot. I have to manually pull the slide back and eject the fresh round that was just chambered, and then the pistol will fire again on the next round. Occasionally it will also double fire. I'd love to find out the problem.

Daren Thompson

The KY National Gaurd issued me a High Standard .22. The triger is good and the gun is accurate, but the controls are tough to manipulate. The slide stop is on the wrong side and the mag release is hard to get to. I would still rather have my Ruger Mark II

Later
Daren

RCS

you should be able to easily manipulate the slide stop with your trigger finger, as you are gripping the gun. At least on my model this works well.

James E

Have HS Sport King in my meager collection, one of the original factory offerings. Has a trigger pull that only requires a slight pressure for it to light off. Accuracy is superb.

Didn't Gerry Powers the U2 pilot have one of these when he was shot down by the commies?

dalpra

My first (and hopefully not my last) High Standard is a 1963 vintage slant grip Model 103 Trophy. Excellent gun, great balance, a real pleasure to shoot. It has been very accurate with a range of target and match grade ammo. I've only owned it for 3 months, but it is my favorite.