Who here does NOT insure their firearms?

BerettaCougar

If you don't, maybe it's time you start.
Firearms are expensive, and hey stuff happens...

Quick story, my father brought an old Beretta to a gunsmith to get it's safety fixed, the gun ended up being damaged beyond repair.
The gun was insured for $250.00 dollars, the deductible was $55.00 (the shop paid for the deductible).. my father had the $250.00 within a week.

The shop then let him use the $250.00 to buy anything he wanted at cost...no mark up.

Take a look

http://www.nraendorsedinsurance.com/

Unregistered

What kind of policy do you have to get in order to cover something damaged by a gunsmith???

I can see an insurer paying for a gun that is stolen or even lost, but I am surprised a gun boogered up by a gun smith would be covered.

MyXD40

I don't see the point.

And if I took the gun into the gun smith for a quick fixin, and it came back broken beyond repair, I'd put up a good fight with the owner, and have price in full paid, or a new gun of same or greater value.

But I also take lots of pictures of all my high value items of which 3 copies are made: one on laptop, one on thumb drive in fire/water safe, one on DVDRW disc at a friends house in a fire/water safe. Theres my insurance.

homefires

Berreta!

I have never insured mine! Only person to touch mine is my wife or me. I don't even insure them for theaft! My insureance is some one is home most of the time and the two dogs!

How did he have them insured? Damage , Theft, ???

In my case insurace would be a wast of mony! I don't make much! I live in the boonies .

BerettaCougar

The policy my father holds, covers theft and damage.
He had to send pictures of the firearm to the company, also the gun had to rendered by the shop..basically they had to chop it up...

My father keeps his guns in a huge safe that weighs hundreds of pounds, and has three pad locks and a combination lock built into the door.

The only gun he keeps out is his carry gun...the main reason for the insurance WAS to cover incase of a flood since we are in Florida... in this case it was used for damage.

Unregistered

If it was a gunsmith that damaged the gun, or if the gun was intentionally damaged by the owner, then I don't see why the insurance company would pay for intentional acts.

It looks like that policy could easily be abused by someone who isnt satisfied with their weapon just boogering it up to collect the insurance money and get a new one.

If a gunsmith tears a gun up, it looks like it should be his liability, not the insurance company's.

Ruger4570

I looked into getting firearm insurance a few times. It is SOOO expensive that in a few years it would equal or surpass the value of any gun stolen etc. My homeowners policy covers $10,000 of value only. I use a gun safe and hope for the best.

boltgun71

I will be getting a firearm insurance policy in the next few weeks. It really is not that expensive, I was quoted $92(+$15 application fee) a year for $18,000 coverage. It covers against theft, fire, flood, damage, mysterious disappearance(?), and a few other things. If you value your guns and dont want to leave things to chance, I would recommend looking into getting a policy. Most regular home owners insurance policies have a cap on coverage for firearms, such as $2,500 or $5,000 total, if they even cover them at all. If you have a collection that is more valuable than what they may cap, a seperate policy to cover you collection is probably pretty smart. Just MHO.

Unregistered

Do most firearms insurance policies require you to put serial numbers in the policy?

If so, how do you keep up with any changes in your collection. I mean, I am fairly regularly trading guns, and changing the policy every time would be a hassle.

BerettaCougar

The one my father uses does require the serial to be entered into their system.

They also have rules of what kind of safe the guns can be stored in...
For example, no gun cabinet, nothing with a glass door/window, nothing with plastic panels that arent supported by metal, and a few other things like fire and water protection.

My fathers collection is worth about $15,000,000, as a previous posted pointed out, the home owners insurance covers only $2,000 here in Florida.

My father pays in total $200.00 a year. I think it's higher here than in NY (the previous poster) because we are in a class C flood zone.

Lurch37

Do most firearms insurance policies require you to put serial numbers in the policy?

My policy is through the NRA's insurance, they do not ask for serial numbers of anything, unless you have one that you want to declare the value is over $1400.00, I think is the amount. Otherwise its just a set amount that you pick, $10,000, $20,000, $35,000, etc.. Its good for one year, so if you trade off some or gain some you can change the value accordingly.

homefires

My take on insurance is most of it is just a scam. The cost of the insurance over the years will out out wiegh the cost of the insured items. Thats how they make mony!

Hawg

Nah. I live kinda in the boonies and everyone on our road is family. Believe you me any strange vehicle is watched closely. Always somebody around during the day and dogs that let nothing go unchallenged. Flood out here isn't going to happen unless God gets ticked again. Fire and hurricanes are real possibilities but it's a risk I have to take because I can't afford the premiums.

Yellowfin

I might do it in the future. They'd have a hell of a time replacing a pre-'64 model 70 .264 with less than 100 rounds through it, though.

DonR101395

I know Allstate doesn't.

If so, how do you keep up with any changes in your collection. I mean, I am fairly regularly trading guns, and changing the policy every time would be a hassle.

I keep up with mine on an excel spreadsheet. I take a picture put the pertinent info on the spreadsheet and burn it on disk. I keep two copies. One in a lockbox that goes when we hurivac and one I keep taped to the ceiling of the safe.

Rembrandt

I don't trust Insurance companies. Years ago in the Chicago area a number of breakins were linked to an Insurance company employee selling policy info to the bad guys. In todays cyber world it frequently makes the news where a companies client records are hacked or lost.

All you are asking an Insurance company to do is assume the risk of loss or fire. I would rather assume that risk myself using the money spent on premiums to buy safes, security systems, and more guns.

When your collection begins to exceed $50K, the premiums can easily pay for more safes.