Who has Les Baer, Wilson, Rock River, et al, etc.

Jonpod

I am interested in maybe saving up for a really nice 1911. I already have a Kimber Custom stainless that is a superb firearm. However, I feel that I have fallen prey to the 1911 bug. I think that I would like to own a Rock River Arms Elite Commando or the Les Baer Stinger. Can anyone tell me if they have owned one of these or something similar and if it worth the extra money? I am also interested in the Kimber Ultra CDP. I know this is a smaller frame but it just seems like an excellent choice for CCW. I don't necessarily have to consider only compact and commander sized 1911's. I sometimes carry my current Kimber and would love having something like the Thunder Ranch on my side. So many choices, so little money. Thanks for your reply.

The_Huntman

I too am in the same boat as you as I am thinking about getting a new gun. Originally I was looking at the Kimber Ultra CDP which seems like a nice gun. However at that price I started looking at the Wilson, Les Baer and the Rock River in the compact style. I still have not made up my mind. BTW I have had the opportunity to shoot a friend's Ultra, not the CDP though, and it was very accurate and the recoil was not bad for a pistol that weighs 25 ounces. I did not get to holster it so I am not sure how it would carry. The grip on it I believe is the same size as on the Compact model, I think the barrel is the only thing smaller. Le tme know what you decide.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Do you mean one of these Stingers?

stinger.jpg

or

one of these other Les Baers?

2baers.jpg

I won't get into the Wilsons otherwise this thread will take forever to load. Anyway, research the guns you listed. Whether you decide on a Baer, a Wilson, RRA, etc, that decision is strictly yours to make. What works great for me, might not work for you.

I had several high-end Kimbers and sold them because they were not what I expected. Every Wilson and Les Baer I bought, I have been EXTREMELY happy with the overall product. From accuracy to fit and finish, they are top-notch.

Best of luck on your decision. If you need anything answered more specifically, feel free to email me.

The_Huntman

ArmySon, I thought you sold your Stinger a while ago? Also if you don't mind would you post the pics of your Wilson, I am sure the wait will be worth it! :)

On a side note what is the best way to watch the forum for new posts?

Thanks

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I did sold the Stinger because I never grew on the stainless finish. It doesn't take away from the gun whatsoever. In the near future, I'm going to buy a blued Stinger.

Here's the KZ-45:

kz45.jpg

I have, and have for sale, a Baer Target Master Longslide, Wilson LTD Longslide and Colt Custom Comp. None of them were cheap. The Wilson has perfromed perfectly as has the Colt. The Baer I haven't really shot all that much.

The only reason I'm selling is to raise money for another new toy. Of the three, I'd rate the Baer is the least desirable though I'd be hard pressed to explain why. The Wilson is the best. Of course there was a great deal of difference in the prices.

The_Huntman

ArmySon, do you have a Wilson CQB? If so would you post a pic and maybe a brief synopsis on the gun as I am very interested in one of these in the Compact config.

JohnO

Son, I may be older than you, but I still want to be you when I grow up! Nice collection of .45's. I like your taste.

jfrancis

I also like high end 1911s, especially Commanders which just seem to point and balance better for me. I currently have:

Les Baer Concept VII: Excellent gun - probably the last I'd ever give up. It's shot about 20K flawless rounds and will soon be sent for refinishing (hard chrome probably).

Les Baer Concept IX (aluminum frame): my favorite carry gun.

S&W 945 Performance Center Commander: Not true 1911 but great to shoot and as accurate as anything in the stable.

SV Infinity Compact (40 S&W): The latest addition. Fat grip of course, but accurate and great to shoot fast.

John

hickman

I have a blued LB Stinger, and it is really nice. I like it a bit better for some reason than my full size LB. I have Kimbers, and they are nice, but the Les Baer is noticeably a better made gun, fit and finish wise, and a bit more accurate. In my opinion, if you are going to spend the money for a top end kimber, I would go ahead and get a Les Baer.

BILLG

You might want to also check out the Gunsite Service Pistol hand built and fitted very resonable price and can be customized to your specs.www.gunsite.com I have One of these and also a Wilson Protector.Both are fine guns.The Wilson has 60,000 + rounds through it and has been and still is very,very reliable and accurate.The GSP is new only about 500 rounds through it but totally reliable so far.BILLG