Who has a Ruger GP100 3"?

RevolverLover

I'm seriously think about getting a Ruger GP-100 3" for my next purchase.:D It would go great with my 4" and 6" GP-100's :D The only problem is nobody in my area has one so i'm going to have to order one.

So to help tide me over until I get to order one, I just wanted to hear from 3" GP-100 owners about what are you likes and dislikes about it. And if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? The 3" version is a more rare model so it seems to be more expensive then the 4" or 6" barrel versions. Does anybody know the deals cost for the 3" version? Also what holster do you guys/gals use?

Thanks

govteach

I had my local gun dealer look for me a GP 100 all summer in the 4 inch. He could not find one. I finally bought a SP101 in the 3 inch, and he had a hard time finding it.:mad:

22-rimfire

I have a blue steel 3" GP100 and those ARE hard to find. Ruger still makes the stainless 3". Paid $350 about a year or so ago-new at gun show. Price has gone up a couple of times since then. So my price does not count.

Mine shoots fine out to 15 yds. I do not do any serious target shooting as it is my house gun and not something I plan on taking 100 yd shots with. I really like the smaller grips, it points nicely, and handles 357's well. Accuracy is good and nothing to complain about. I used it to qualify for CCW permit. No problem.

It would make a very nice woods carry gun. I usually carry either a 22 or a 4" 41 mag in the woods for company. Plink with the 22, but rarely would shoot with the 41mag unless I have a reason.

It is hard to find a holster that is not for the 4" GP100. I gave up and just use a cheaper nylon holster for a 4" revolver I had lying around.

boa2

Following are some pictures of the blue Ruger GP100 that I had recently found and purchased. I added the wood grips! This was a difficult revolver to find(Especially in blue!)although, I was originally looking for a 3-inch stainless, GP100! I had to pay $480 for this virtually new, blue 3-inch GP100. I haven't had a chance to fire this gun yet-but, I already knew that these guns are easy to shoot(Due to the excellent Ruger rubber grips ability to absorb alot of recoil!)and, the strength of these guns are legendary!):
P1000286.jpg

P1000290.jpg

P1000288.jpg

P1000291.jpg

Following, is a picture on my blue 3-inch, GP100, alongside my 4-inch(Stainless)GP100(With adjusable sights)for comparison:
P1000310.jpg

Gunz

I think the 3in GP100 is a very nice model. True, not many are on the shelves. I saw a new on for $445 stainless. I found a used one for $370 in mint condition, and I snatched it.

The balance is very nice for me. I shoot 18 and 180 gr through the gun. The revolver is more accurate tan I can be. At 21 feet, I do group about 2 inch with my shooting skills, single action. The weight helps manage the recoil.

The blue one shown above is very nice. Get one when you can.

Pezo

I have the 3" gp100 in stainless, full shroud as well as the 6" model. They will feel like different guns. the 3" sports fixed sights and a smaller and in my opinion better sized grip (short grip). It's alot handier of a belt carry defense peice in my opinion. It's a favorite.

jben

I had one, and liked the size and feel alot. I had it for awhile, and in an implusive move, like most of mine, sold it without ever having fired it. I think it would make a great belt gun for hiking or whatever. I'll probably get another someday, because I usually end up coming full circle on guns that I have previously owned. You usually don't see many on dealer's shelves. I ordered mine in. jben

LH2

I have a 3" SS GP100. Bought it NIB a year ago for $395, I see that they've gone up quite a bit now and Ruger seems to produce them in limited quantities compared to 4 and 6-inch models.

The 3" has terrific balance in hand, and I love the small grip frame compared to the longer-barreled GP's. Good recoil control, accurate, and mine even had a nice trigger out of the box, something not often found on Rugers.

It's a keeper! :D

JohnKSa

Administrator
govteach said:
I had my local gun dealer look for me a GP 100 all summer in the 4 inch. He could not find one.
I hope you meant 3"--because any gun dealer who looks for a 4" GP100 for more than about a half an hour without finding one is pretty useless... ;)

dispatcher

GP100 3" Stainless

Found a RCMP trade in (import) about 6 months ago. $269 out the door from a local shop. Smooth stainless 3 " with a couple of minor dings you expect in a police trade in. Fixed sights. Seems tight as new with a good trigger. Shoots great. Love it and recommend it to anyone even though I prefer the Security Six- which is getting hard to find at a reasonable price.

leopard1

Purchased one new last month for $429.99. It has become the alpha dog in the pack. Don't hesitate, get one. The 3" barrel and smaller grip make it a practical carry gun. Easy to shoot well, seems to prefer .357s. Recoil comes straight back into the hand, not a lot of muzzle flip. The grips make the recoil easy to tolerate, won't beat your hand up like an overpowered smaller revolver. Wide, stiff belt and an Uncle Mike's nylon holster pull it close into the body, surprisingly easy to carry.