Who has a DPMS

flyboy14

Just wanted to hear from anyone who has a DPMS, am looking at one right now. DPMS, and Bushmaster are the two ar type rifles that I have laid hands on. Am looking at one of each in 223. Price seems to be close enough for my taste between the two. Thinking 24 inch barrel, will be mostly for coyote, and just plinking.

taylorce1

I have one as well an M-Forgery. No problems and very fun to shoot. You could do a lot worse than the DPMS.

nate45

I have a DPMS A-15. I've only shot four or five hundred rounds through it, but it is accurate and has only malfunctioned once. It failed to fire one of my handloads which turned out to be in a .222 Rem case instead of a .223.:eek:

jpwilly

I have two full blood DPMS AR-15's and they are excellent rifles. Accurate reliable etc. Don't be fooled by the "they don't make a chrome lined bbl" etc. They do and have for a long time. Or the bad report from a kid who just built his first "parts kit" gun with some DPMS parts and it doesn't run. Mil Spec mags in mine so far 100%

flyboy14

the rifle i am looking at has 24 inch bull barrel, and the jp trigger, flat top reciever, just don't know what to do for optics, and mounts. Have been told by several people that the b-square mounts are good. Havent really looked into it much. Right now just concerned about acquiring rifle.

flyboy14

Also wondered, several people have told me that dpms rifles are all chambered in 556 even though sold as 223. I wouldn't fire wrong ammo in wrong gun, but just curious if anyone knows.

bigghoss

heres mine so far
l_d5ec93cbbac5418c443e8d2a83400676.jpg

previous owner hacked the front sight off but it was cheap and shoots great and hasn't given me a lick of trouble

yeah make sure you get one chambered specifically for 5.56

jpwilly

As far as the chambers go my SS 20" Bull bbl upper is 223 rem and the M4gery is 5.56 - I wanted them that way.

ARBULL20-1.jpg

101_0457.jpg

Last edited:

blhseawa

I have a DPMS 24" stainless steel bull barrel free floated with flat top receiver for rock chuck hunting in eastern washington. Mines in 1:9 twist, which is just fine since I shoot 50 ~ 53 grain slugs. I use a 6-25x50mm scope so I needed a riser to mount the scope. Standard A2 stock. I didn't like the standard DPMS trigger setup and replaced it with a Chip McCormick drop-in. It is chambered in .223. Shoots well. However, I bought mine without bolt/bolt carrier group. This is an SAMSI .223 chamber and not a NATO 5.56. Most DPMS weapons are chambered in .223 and so marked! The easiest way to to tell is check the markings on the barrel and it will tell you. Normally, it will say who the manufacturer is, the chamber and the twist. On my DPMS 24" SS bull barrel, the following markings appear -> DPMS CAL. 223 1-9 <-

I also have a Bushmaster with MPI (magnetic particle inspected) 20" steel heavy fluted chrome-lined chamber and barrel 1:8 twist, 5.56 NATO chamber, which is my competition weapon (Service Rifle), with a Jewel two-stage adjustable trigger, KNS trigger/hammer pins and retainers. For long range (1000m) some people are using 1:7 and heavier slugs. I confine my self to 600m service matches and 500m for rock chuck. Barrels seem to last longer in 1:9 or 1:8 twist, instead of 1:7 twist of the GI M16/M4.

Either weapon will serve you well, for the purpose you state, both are reasonable quality AR class weapons. I have issues with all commercial (civilian) ARs in that bolts and bolt carriers aren't to the standard I care to see, which is why I build my own bolt/bolt carrier groups from mil-spec parts (which is an issue in washington, since you can not legally use a M16 bolt carrier in a civilian AR), which means that I have to deal with locating AR bolt carriers that have been magnetic particle inspected and properly marked and head spacing, but any gunsmith can check that out for you.

I've seen issues with staking on the bolt carrier and neither manufacturer goes through the trouble of magnetic particle inspection and marking of their bolts or bolt carriers.

One last comment, is good quality mags are a must. I use only Colt 20's for both hunting and competition, with Wolff springs.

Hope this helps.;)

flyboy14

Decided to go with a dpms, I put money down on a flat top w 24" barrel, and the jp trigger. Now I have to decide what to do for optics. Been looking online at the trijicon acog. Seems like a lot of cash for a scope, for half of the price I could put a leupold on top. Anyone used an acog?

acetum

a little off on cal. but I have a 308 DPMS 24" SS, that has yet to do anything other than put my rounds were I want them. The only thing I put in it was a timney trigger in it and a SWFA super sniper scope.

I've hit all targets at 100-575y, I will be doing some 1000y this weekend coming up.

gmoney

I have one, they are top notch, not talked about as much as some of the others........but they should be...............mine has been flawless from day one.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Both my AR's have DPMS uppers and LRPKs. Both run fine. Haven't shot either off bags for groups yet.