• I buy my ammo

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I reload but do not cast bullets

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • I make my own boolits

Votes: 30 57.7%

• Total voters

MDman

I am curious on how many reloaders cast their own boolits?

maybe its the lead fumes or maybe its how I don’t have to pay for bullets, but I am getting a kick out of really making my own ammo

Jim Watson

I don't make boolits, I can spell and am not cutesy.

I only cast bullets for my .38-55 BPCR. Casting is too hard work for short range pistol bullets.

crowbeaner

I cast plenty of bullets, and learned how when I was about 10 by watching my best friend's dad. I started casting for my own guns about the time I started reloading for my first .357. I have slung lead through around 30 different moulds, and spent the better part of several days making more this summer. Right now I'm working with a couple of Lyman foster slug moulds for my 12 gauge. I've got a 3# coffee can full. I just got a used mould in the mail today, and if weather permits later this week, I'm going to put the heat on that one. There is a great deal of satisfaction in making your own bullets, and the first head of game you take with one is always remembered. My springoff has been watching me, but hasn't offered to try his hand yet. It's kinda like getting him to take out the trash or clean his room. In time he'll learn, but I'm not rushing him. One thing I like about casting is that you can make bullets that are no longer in production, or are not available from commercial casters. You can also tailor your alloy from soft to sledgehammer tough. There are some great and timeless bullet designs out there, and many work extremely well. Enjoy. CB.

Linear Thinker

I used to, until a blood test showed an elevated lead level some years ago. Probably unrelated, as I did all the melting and pouring outdoors.

I will keep my molds, just in case that Y2K societal meltdown comes late ;)

Financially, it was not worth it. Commercial bullets were more consistent and shot better than mine.
But, I always liked the idea of self-sufficiency in all things.
LT

Edward429451

I cast about 6 or 8 different calibers. 6 cavity moulds sure do take the work out of high production. I have a couple guns that have never seen a factory round or a j bullet.

PDshooter

Cast.jpg

BulletMold.jpg

I do.......Got the cost down $1.50 box of 45ACP:D
H&G68 Mold......The BMW of molds!:D

Edward429451

crowbeaner what size do your foster slugs drop at? Curious because I've always heard that 12 ga = .729 but some literature I read said that no one makes slugs or moulds full size because of the full choked shotguns that they'd have to work through.

crowbeaner

The mould I have right now drops a slug that weighs 445 gr. and mics .690 or .691. The new moulds are supposed to be 475 gr. and .705 dia. according to the Midway site info. I just emailed Lyman to get the info as to whether I use the data for the 475 gr, with the one I have. I THINK the slug is supposed to weigh 475, but the weight could be a combination of the slug and wad components listed. That's why I contacted Lyman. I'd hate to put out a lot of slug loads with the wrong combinations. If you have an OLD Lyman book, could you check? Thanks. CB.

Cheepshot

Cast bullets

I would love to, I have just started reloading and one of my goals is to bake my own.

Can a .223 be cast or does it move to fast?

crowbeaner

Sure you can cast bullets for the .223 but you can't shoot them in your semiauto; they'll lead up the gas system and you will have a broken gun that needs to be detail stripped and cleaned with no guarantee it will work. I recommend the Lyman 225415 mould, and Hornady gaschecks. Cast your bullets from #2 alloy or linotype, size to .225 and use a good rifle type lube. Load them with RP 7 1/2 primers, and 16.0 to 16.5 of IMR SR4759. Crimp slightly in the crimp groove. This load will work just fine in bolt or single shot rifles. Be warned that pouring little bitty bullets is a PITA, and they have to be absolutely perfect to get any kind of accuracy. Unless you can't get jacketed bullets, I recommend this only as a last gasp at finickyness. My $0.02. CB.

Usaro4

I cast my own for several rifle calibers, for several short range hand gun calibers, and shot gun slugs. It's not to much work for me, and I can spell boolits and bullets. I also have about three tons of lead stockpiled so I guess that makes me a paranoid gun nut. By the way my wife used to think I was cutesy when I was a young man.

Usaro4

Hawg, She just thinks I'm a cranky old fart who likes to play with guns and boolits. Aaahh, life is truly wonderful.;)

Scott

I cast my single shot bullets: 180 grain tapered .308 for my Highwall out of a nose pour Hoch mould.
Had plenty of casting experience when I skirmished with rifle-muskets for 16 seasons in the N-SSA (about 2,000 rounds a season)
All my other bullets come in a big box (thank God!!)

Edward429451

Wha? my post is gone. I coulda swore I added a reply to crowbeaner days ago...Oh well.

I didn't get the old Lyman book, just the new 5th edition and it doesn't say anything about any changes in moulds or data from the last edition. I expect you would use the 475 gr data and that that is a nominal figure including wad etc. Does the older book list the weight for slug only? Let us know what they say to you in reply to that.