Who carries in non-CCW states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parke1

Okay, since I live in a state where it's illegal to carry at all, this has been on my mind for a while. How many of you live in states where carrying is illegal, but still do? I realize that it could mean getting in to a lot of trouble, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather have it on me than sitting useless at home.

-Parke1

------------------
---Don't worry, I've got plenty more ammo where THAT came from!

Morgan

New around here, aren't ya? ;)

Nobody with a brain is going to answer that kind of question. Think about it - you CAN be traced from what you write on any board, in any e-mail. What you write is admissable as evidence, and could be probable cause for search and arrest.

I can appreciate the question, but any responses you get will be untrustworthy.

Jeff OTMG

Depends on the state. In most places it is a misdemeanor and at the most you would be looking at a $500 fine. I carried for most of 20 years until I finally got a permit last year and was never suspected. Even when receiving traffic citations, you just have to be VERY careful. You don't go around with a 1911 and a photo journalist vest or wear blue jeans and a fanny pack either. When going out of state I would frequently call the local PD to inquire about the local laws before going there. In New Orleans the detective gave me his name and number and told me to call him if I had any problems. On the other hand I cancelled a trip to San Fransisco after speaking to a detective there.

sks

The key word here in CCW is Concealed. If you carry whether it is permitted or not, it is legal according to the second amendment, keep the weapon concealed. I've carried in D.C. as well as New York and many other places where it was not permitted. I've also carried in other countries where it was illegal to carry. But never in an overt manner nor with the clothing mentioned above. :)

If you carry discretely no one should know. Yes, be careful anytime you are around LE. Not that they will mistreat you, but if they "discover" a weapon on your person it could get very sticky.

If you are unsure then I wouldn't do it.

------------------
The best weapon for self defense is the one you have when the need arises!

Claemore70

Jeff and SKS are right. Just don't advertise it. And if you are caught, why were you caught? Were you robbing a gas station? Were you stalking someone? That's the point. If you are not doing something illegal, a cop cannot just pat you down. If you are suspicious, they can then pat you down if they have reason to talk to you in the first place. If they do, take them to court and the supreme court and fight it as an individual right thing. Bet you all thought I would say something like "shoot 'em", huh? LOL.

------------------
"Vote with a Bullet."

Morgan

Okay, there you guys go, proving me wrong...

What I meant was that anyone who says "I live in D.C. and I've been carrying for five years now, blah blah blah..." is either lying, or an idiot.

I used to carry before I had my permit, too. If you choose to, tell NO-ONE who doesn't absolutely NEED to know. Keep your nose clean, and do your utmost to avoid getting into a situation where you might have to even think about drawing.

With the economy as good as it is now, this is the time to consider moving to a CCW state. You'll be happier and safer just for the move, and even better off once you get a permit.

FUD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Claemore70: ... If you are not doing something illegal, a cop cannot just pat you down ... [/quote]I was sound asleep in the backseat of a car doing 80mph in a 55mph zone. When pulled over, I was awaken and searched. I wasn't doing anything illegal -- the driver was but not me :D

beherethen

A little reality check here guys, in DC, Chicago, NYC and God knows where else, if caught BEST CASE is you spend several thousand dollars on a lawyer and get off-WORST CASE is you spend the money and still get a year in prison. If memorey serves Getz was sent to jail not for shooting the BGs, but for having a 44mag in NYC. Just my 2$
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.