Who carries a K?

Balog

I've been looking at switching to a S&W 65 (either 3 or 4") for conceal carry. I've been carrying a 5" Springfield XD (up for sale btw) so this will be roughly equivalent in terms of size and weight.

I'm wondering how many people still tote a K-frame on a regular basis, and how you do it? Aside from full on custom work I'm having trouble finding decent concealment rigs.

azredhawk44

Blade-Tech makes a OWB paddle rig (even left-handed to fit my southpaw-itis!) that I use for shooting steel with my M65.

I don't carry mine much of anywhere, though. More of a "toy" in my usage plans since I predominantly carry 1911's and CZ's, or my Redhawk in the woods. I got it for cheap DA practice with .38 handloads.

If they make an OWB rig for me, I'm sure they stock an IWB kydex rig for someone like you.

18DAI

I use an open top belt scabbard, from Murph's Custom Leather in China Grove NC, for my 3" 13-3. Regards 18DAI.

Balog

Red: any interest in selling/trading that toy? :D

Mike: what kind of shoulder rig do you use? And is it true that the sub 3" barrels have shorter ejector rods and will not fully extract fired cartridges?

Last edited:

18DAI

Sub 3" barrels do have shorter ejector rods. That said, I would not say that they DON'T fully extract spent cartridges.

I would say that the shorter ejector rods increase the chances of operator error in a stressful situation, ie not forcefully striking the ejector rod with the revolver muzzle up, and that COULD result in spent casings getting hung up between the ejector star and cylinder.

In shooting my 2.5" 66-2 in competition, I've had it happen a time or two. My fault though, no fault of the revolver or its design. My 0.02 Regards 18DAI.

azredhawk44

Nope, I'm happy with it in my safe.

Seems to actually end up being the favorite "girl gun." Any women I take out shooting seem to gravitate towards it and bond with it. It beats out all the automatics, the SP101, 642, Taurus 94 and even the Redhawks with light .44 specials. It's just the right size, with just the right satisfying "boom" to it to not be intimidating, but still exciting to shoot. And it's accurate, so it does what you want it to do.

That, and I like the DA conditioning it gives me.

You'll have to find your own!

wnycollector

While not "K frame" my 2.75" Ruger Security Six see's LOTS of belt time. With a good quality belt like my Simplyruged "Real Man belt" and a quality IWB holster (AJK Concealco) carrying it is very comfortable. I just bought up a S&W M13-3 4" and plan on getting another concealco holster so I can carry it as well! Carrying a big gun is easy with the proper equipment.

Balog

Oops, never meant to exclude the Ruger fans. I'm very interested in people packing any of the "Something Six'es" too. AJK Concealco, eh? Have to look into that...

Webleymkv

In warmer weather, I carry a Model 66 with a 2 1/2" barrel OWB strongside in an El Paso Saddlery #88 Street Combat holster. With this holster and a good belt, I can conceal this revolver under a loose fitting T-Shirt. My gun currently wears Houge Cocobolo round-butt finger-groove grips (not checkered) and gets loaded with Remington 158grn Semi-Jacketed Hollowpoints. I also carry a Bianchi Speedstrip in the watch pocket of my jeans. In colder weather (cold enough for a coat), I usually carry a S&W 629 with a 4" barrel in a Kramer Horsehide Scabbard strongside with either a double speedloader pouch immediately behind it or a speedloader in each pocket of my coat. That gun wears a set of Houge Rosewood Laminate round-to-square conversion grips with finger grooves (no checkering) and gets loaded with Speer 240grn Gold Dots. I am, however, shopping for a J-Frame for carry when circumstances don't permit one of the larger guns to work (a Colt Cobra used to fill this role but it was sold last fall).

wnycollector

AJK Concealco, eh? Have to look into that...

Like most people who carry regularly, I have a box of holsters that just didn't work for me. The AJK Concealco IWB holster is the most comfortable holster I own...but since we are all as different as the snowflakes I'm watching fall as I write this...YMMV:D

Seems to actually end up being the favorite "girl gun."

+1 on that. Both my wife and future new mother-in-law are revolver girls! I have gone into my gun safe several times to grab my snubbie six only to find it missing and in someones purse.

Last edited:

Balog

Ok, so I know they made both round and square butt 65's. Did they make RB's with 4" barrels? I seem to mostly find them with 3" in my limited searching on Gunbroker.

Last edited:

Glenn Dee

I often carry a K frame.. Either a 3" RB 13, or a 4" pencil bbl model 10 RB.I use a Jay-Pee iwb clip holster strong side kidney, or a pancake OWB strong side kidney. When I'm going somewhere I may get physical I use my old duty holster.. strong side kidney. The holster fits with the center of gravity is below the waist... I tuck the bottom of the holster in my back pocket. With an intucked shirt it's very much concealed. It's also snatch resistant, and almost loss proof.

I am currently carrying a 6in. Model 14 as a duty gun and frequently carry a 3in. Model 65 for ccw. When I am working on my property I often carry my 2in. M&P. Not much you cant get done with some version of a K.

orionengnr

I really like the IWB I got from Eric at Side Guard Holsters. It will fit my 4" K frame and after some effort, I have made it fit my 4" N-frames, which I much prefer since they come in calibers that "start with a .4". :)

I am 5'9" and 150 lbs and do not wear my clothes baggy, so I don't have a lot of extra coverage available. My point is, it can be done.

That said, I don't generally carry a revolver in the summer when it is shorts-and-t-shirt weather. Any time long pants and an untucked shirt are the uniform of the day, it is do-able.

I also own and occasionally use a Galco IWB anytime a sweat shirt or jacket is appropriate. Honestly, it gets much less use, but is quite comfortable.

Tom2

I have seen armored car guards carrying K frames and similiar sized Rugers. They wore police type belt holsters pretty much. But more recently I have seen them with some of the more economical auto pistols, apparently they have to buy their own. If you want a police type holster for the K, it has seemed to me in the recent past that they were both cheap and plentiful. Police and civilian trade ins. Some very high quality holsters for not alot of money but not exactly CCW types in most cases. Just look in the mixed boxes of holsters at the gunshows or even at dealers. You can usually walk with something nice for 10-20$ or maybe even less. I got police types and Bianchi civvy types both regular and pancake close wear for tons less than retail.

KyJim

Every once in a blue moon, I'll carry a 4-inch K-frame in an OWB pancake style holster under a jacket. Without looking, I can't remember if it's a Galco or Gould and Goodrich. It's strictly for casual concealment.

I do carry a Colt Agent on a more regular basis in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar holster. It's close to the size of a K-frame but is considerably lighter. I tend to carry 1911s most of the time, though.