Who can make CUSTOM chrome lined barrel?

Skans

Who can make a CUSTOM chrome lined barrel? Is there any barrel manufacturer who can do this? This is a serious question - I just don't get it, I really want a top-quality chrome lined barrel. I'm willing to pay a fair price for it too.

MacGille

Why do you want a chrome lined barrel? Jungle shooting? Don't like cleaning rifles? The only reason to chrome line a barrel is for corrosion protection. It doesn't make the barrel more accurate, nor does it make a barrel last longer. It can cause problems if the chrome peels off. (look at an old car bumper).

Good luck.

Citizen Carrier

No precision shooter in competition uses a chrome-lined barrel.

Anybody who advertises a barrel as "match quality" while also having a chrome-lined barrel is lying to you. Chrome does not go into a barrel uniformly, thus it has the potential to mar an otherwise excellent cut or button rifled barrel.

The finest barrels obtainable, such as those from Krieger or Lilja or Obermayer, do not and will not employ chrome plating.

fprefect

Chrome lined barrel

Shilen rifles offers a chrome moly barrel which is just a steel alloy containing a small amount of Chromium and Molybdenum. Supposedly stainless steel produces the better accuracy.

Chromium is one of hardest metals in existence and I suspect even if it were possible to line a barrel with Chromium it would be prone to chipping, but needless to say, I am no expert. You might contact shilen rifles as if anyone could do it, I suspect they can.
http://www.shilen.com/pricesRifleBarrels.html

F. Prefect

Skans

First, there is a huge difference between the chrome lining that is used inside of barrels and "bumper chrome". Chrome lined barrels are quite a bit more durable than non-chrome lined barrels, are more corrosion resistant and greatly retard throat errosion.

Second, as far as accuracy goes in pistols, My Steyr GB, which has a chrome lined barrel is also the most accurate 9mm I own - including my Glock and Belgian Hi-Power. Many M16's and AR15's have chrome lined barrels and are quite accurate. You might not be able to squeeze out as much accuracy as with a long rifle barrel specifically designed for sub 2 MOA accuracy, but they can be extremely accurate.

I don't want nor need a highly accurate barrel. What I need is a super durable barrel that is reasonably well made. What I can't figure out is why I can't seem to find anyone to make such a thing. There are zillions of chrome lined AR15 and AK47 barrels out there. This can't be rocket science.

StuntManMike

The FN SPR A3G has a chrome lined barrel. It has been proven sub-MOA past 10,000 rounds. If that is not match grade it is still certainly better than most people need or can even shoot.

1ricochet

Browning A-Bolt Stalker WSSM .223

All of the rifles that use Winchester Super Short Magnums are chrome lined to stop the fouling. 3900 FPS in 61 Gr. pill. $700. to $800. buys the whole rifle.

seant

My FN SPR A3G easily shoots under 1/2 MOA. It is very accurate despite being chrome lined. Cleaning is done after two patches. For me, the myth about chrome lined bores being inaccurate has been debunked.

jeo556

I understand that in the past E.R. Shaw may have built M4 barrels that ARE chrome lined. Don't know this to be thruth but If they used to they may be able to chrome line a barrel for you now. Worth a call?

That being said, unless you plan on long excursions into a rainforest you probably do not need a chrome lined barrel and it's probably only going to cost you extra $$$.

BTW, the reason that the "top quality" barrel makers don't offer chrome lining is because chrome lining a barrel(from what I understand) isn't a very precise procedure. From the preceding posts on this thread its obvious that chrome lined barrels can be accurate, but as a whole will not be as accurate as a crome lined barrel. If they were you'd be able to buy them that way from the "top quality" guys.

P.S. Just recently I have seen a ad for a product that Otis technology offers. Read below for details.

http://http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/fcatalog.html&setup=1&cart_id=

Last edited:

Skans

P.S. Just recently I have seen a ad for a product that Otis technology offers. Read below for details.

Jeo556 - your link isn't working, but I think you were refering to the stuff called "Lifeliner - nano ceramic fusion lifetime gun bore liner". I've never heard of the stuff, but this is sure very interesting to me. I'd really like to know more about this stuff. I'll try to post the link here in case anyone wants to comment on this stuff.

http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/fcatalog.html&setup=1&cart_id=

Slamfire

I don't know. I called around asking plating experts and found that the cost for an individual barrel would be very expensive. Like tens of thousands of dollars for the first one.

Achieving an even chrome layer is not simple, and the barrel would have to be cut deep to allow for the depth of the chrome.