Who’s also a big Bren Ten fan?

bac1023

Got to love one of the coolest pistols of the 1980’s...post some pics if you have them...

:)

Last edited:

RickB

I'm a fan, enough so that I sold a couple of guns to bankroll a Vltor Bren Ten, if they'd ever made it to production.
Subsequent to that, I bid over $3000 for an original on gunbroker, but am glad I didn't "win", as I'd hate to have that much money tied-up in a gun I'd be afraid to shoot.
I'm following the latest attempt to resurrect the Bren, Chuck Warner's Combat Service Pistol, which really does appear to be a "when" proposition, rather than an "if".

Kevin Rohrer

I would be shocked if Warner's pistol is ever released.

Am also shocked that a reputable company like Wilson, etc hasn't brought-out the Bren 10. They would not be able to keep-up w/ orders.

Jim Watson

Chuck Warner made some Almost Brownings, no reason he can't turn out some Sort of Brens. I hope he takes a note from Voit and puts on a Walther decocking lever instead of that weird crossbolt.

Leaf

I'm a Bren Ten fan but not at three thousand bucks! Is that really what a NIB Bren Ten goes for now?

wild cat mccane

Kinda look like a Tanfoglio.

I think I would take Tanfoglio 10mm Elite Match, Hunter, Elite 1, Witness Match Extreme, Limited Custom, Stock 1, Witness, Stock II, or Stock III...and still have enough to buy another at the Bren Ten price.

Hum...this reminds me to go search for the polymer Wintess P Pro.

Jim Watson

Yes, but you just want something to shoot.
bac1023 is out for stuff that is interesting and unusual. Usually of Old World Craftsmanship but if it is unusual enough that can be let slide a bit.

2wheelwander

Crockett didn't shoot a Tanfoglio. He also didn't drive a Corvette (yes I know it really was a vette).

Much like a Model 29, Bren Ten's and Daytona 365's reflect what every teen aged boy wanted in 1986 but some can now afford.

bac1023

Kinda look like a Tanfoglio.

I think I would take Tanfoglio 10mm Elite Match, Hunter, Elite 1, Witness Match Extreme, Limited Custom, Stock 1, Witness, Stock II, or Stock III...and still have enough to buy another at the Bren Ten price.

Hum...this reminds me to go search for the polymer Wintess P Pro.
Cool story. That makes one of us.

I probably could have bought 20 Tanfos for the value of the two Brens, but that's not really the point. Once you have all that, you just have a bunch of dime a dozen pistols dropping in value.

The reason they look similar is because they're both based on the CZ 75. Its a great design.

bac1023

Yes, but you just want something to shoot.
bac1023 is out for stuff that is interesting and unusual. Usually of Old World Craftsmanship but if it is unusual enough that can be let slide a bit.

You know me well by now, Jim. :cool:

dgludwig

you probably have half the worlds supply of nice guns

Oh, to be the son (or father) of bac1023. If I was, he'd be well-advised to hire someone to taste his food before he ate it. :)

RickB

IMHO a CZ 97B would channel the spirit of a Bren Ten.

There's a video on youtube of a factory-built, one-off 10mm based on a CZ97 lower and SP01 slide; I might be concerned about the very light weight of the slim, light, 75-style slide in a 10, but it's apparently more about timing than weight, if done correctly.

RickB

I would be shocked if Warner's pistol is ever released.

A shooting buddy who's a gunwriter was supposed to get a Warner HP to test against a Nighthawk Custom HP, and while I know he took delivery of the Nighthawk (wasn't impressed), don't know if the shoot-off ever happened.

I think the Warner HP used a lot of factory parts, and with the demise of the FN pistol, it may not have been worthwhile to make all the necessary small parts.

A new Bren would have to be made entirely from scratch, considerably more ambitious, but there were pics of semi-finished frame castings posted a week or two ago, so there's been a lot of work done.

Of course, Vltor got as far as making complete, functional pistols and still decided to pull the plug.