Whitney Wolverine

Shin-Tao

I hear Olympic wants to make new castings again and start building clones of the Whitney Wolverine.

I really hope they do. I love that pistol. I handled one in '89 that a trucker had for personal defense. It was really...cool. I've always wanted one, NEVER found one in a store. If Olympic starts selling them. I'm buying 2. They look like Dahli painted a PPK, half melted, streached.

ACP230

While attending the 1988 NRA Convention in Orlando, FLA, I saw new, in the white frames for the Whitney Wolverine. A gun was supposed to follow within a year or so. It never did and I don't remember what company had the frames in their display.

I always thought the Wolverines looked like neat guns.

Dfariswheel

This has been going on for years. A number of companies have announced plans to reproduce the Wolverine, and even shown frame castings. I'm familuar with at least 3 different companies.
However they never seem to actually make any.

My last word on Olympic Arms, was a fire?? at the plant had delayed production.

I've owned several Whitney's, and they are a fine handgun. The action is VERY fast. At one time Whitney's wholesaler wanted to name it "The Whitney Lightening".

There've been a number of stories why production stopped.
The truth is, Whitney signed an agreement with J.L. Galef to be the SOLE distributor of the gun. For some reason Galef just wasn't interested in actually selling any of them.

Whitney was talking to Sears, Ward's, Gamble's, and other large chain stores to make Whitney's for them. Since the frame of the Whitney is nothing but a shell that holds the action, they could offer each chain a gun that had a different look.

Unfortunately, Galef wasn't selling Whitney's, and wouldn't allow Whitney to sell to anyone else either.
Unable to sell guns, Whitney folded. No word on what, if any, reason Galef had for spiking Whitney.

2kiddad

I had a chance to buy a Whitney Wolverine at the last Mesquite, TX show. Guy had a good to VG conditon Wolverine w/ one mag, in the box with the manual, tagged for $400. Guy said he'd take $350 cash. I passed.

I'll probably live to regret that decision, like I regret not buying the Engraved Lefever 12ga. for $275, or selling my "T" s/n BHP Capitan or buying gold at $90/oz in 1975 or....

...Forgive me while I go to my room and cry for awhile.

357sig226

Anybody Want a Whitney Wolverine?

I inherited a Whitney Wolverine from my wife's grandfather about a year ago. It looks to be in good condition. I have put about 20 rounds through it, and everything works. I think this gun spent most of its life in the original box. In fact, that's how I received it. This one is chambered for .22 LR. I am guessing they all are, but just thought I would mention it. The serial number (located on the front side of the grip) is 26262.

I am thinking $300 plus shipping and FFL cost. If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail at klprice@meadwestvaco.com

Thanks!!
Kevin L. Price

PS. The original instruction manual is included as well.

Attachments

• whitneybox.jpg
    whitneybox.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 119

Dfariswheel

Depending on condition, that's too low. Whitney's are rare, Whitney's in the box are VERY rare.

Check the box to see if it's serial numbered to the gun, and look on the bottom of the box for an Alcoa Aluminum sticker. Whitney's in the box, with an intact Alcoa sticker are SUPER rare.

If I had $300.00 to spare, I'd be beating on your door, before some killjoy told you the price was way too low.

357sig226

Wow!

Thanks for the information Dfariswheel. It is serial numbered to the box. It looks like there used to be a sticker on the bottom, but that it has been pulled off at some point. It even has the original receipt of the purchase inside. It was purchased from Mooney's at 280 Fairfield Ave. in Bridgeport 3, Connectucut. Date was 7/26/57. Paid $39.95 plus $1.20 in cash for it, and the reciept also has the serial number on it.

I cannot thank you enough for bringing this to my attention. I think in light of this, the sale is off for now. Let me think about it a bit and do some research. I obviously failed to do that before!!

If anyone is interested, I can post more of the pictures including the receipt.

Thanks again,
Kevin L. Price