White line on rear sight is peeling!! Help!

rob i

The white line on the rear sight of my Sig p239 seems to be peeling back. The only thing that I could imagine that caused this is the Birchwood Casey gun scrubber that I used on it today. What to do?! Surely there must be a better fix than the white out solution that is running around in my head.

Thanks,
Rob

P.S. any feedback to my S&W PPK/s post below would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Dfariswheel

The white line is just paint.

The easy fix is to remove the remaining paint, clean the area with a degreaser to remove all oil, then use a fine artist's brush or a toothpick to reapply paint.

For paint, about the easiest is to buy a small bottle of model airplane paint at a hobby shop or Wal-mart.

This is available in oil-based, or water-based Acrylic

For durability and appearance, I use GLOSS white paint.

STIR the paint thoroughly, shaking the bottle won't do.

Fill the groove, wipe off any excess outside the groove, then allow to dry 24 HOURS.
The secret to a durable job is drying time. These paints do dry fast, but NOT when in a sight's groove or dot.

After it's fully hardened, apply lube.

For an even more durable job, you can use Rust-oleum oil-based paint.
This is MUCH more durable, BUT even the smallest can will go bad long before you could use more than a drop or two.

dairycreek

I have used kitchen appliance touch up white paint with good effect. It is very white, hard, and you can buy it in very small quantities at almost any hardware store.

MillCreek

Ditto to the 1/4 ounce of acrylic model paint by Testor's. $ 0.96 the bottle at my local Wal-Mart, and comes in my three favorite colors for sights: white, fluorescent orange and flurorescent green.

RsqVet

Paint pens

Somewhere, I have a paint pen that wroked quite well and was designed for applying to engraved markings on machine tools, instruments et. al., Was rubbed on then excess wiped off, think it was some super Air dry acrylic that was formulated to be oil resistat b/c it's intended use. Was available in red, black, and white.

I believe McMaster Carr has them, though I picked mine up at a now defunct local supply place, McMaster is on line though you may have to hunt arround for the product as their print catalog is the size of a phone book.

Leo