Whistle pig barrel 20 or 22 inches? Big difference?

Lavid2002

I want to buy a whistle pig bbl. The only 22" one they have though is a compensated one. I dont want the compensator because
*Its a .22......come on......
*Its one more thing to clean
*Im afraid it will effect accuracy

I DO want one because
*Its the only way i can buy a .22" barrel
*It looks pretty cool
*I want a long .22 bbl because I want to reach out and touch something
: D

thoughts? Should I go for it? Or should I just buy the 20" barrel without the compensator...

Lavid2002

Impulsive decision of the day!

I bought the 22" compensated version.

Im going to go mount my vx-2 on my 10/22 receiver so when my BBL gets here I can tear it up :p

FALPhil

I never heard of Whistle Pig Barrels before. I went to their website and found it funny that they had a picture a prairie dog on it instead of a whistle pig, which is a marmot.

Scorch

I went to their website and found it funny that they had a picture a prairie dog on it instead of a whistle pig, which is a marmot.
It's kind of hard to tell what kind of rodent it is, but it could be a whistle pig. Out west, we call the Columbia Ground Squirrels whistle pigs, sage rats, squeakers, and lots of other, less polite names. Marmots are Rock Chucks.

Lavid2002

They were the "Barrel of choice" for most rimfirecentral.com fans.... I have heard great reviews and said...why not. I want a ridiculously accurate .22 as well!

Lavid2002

so stoked to get this thing. I hacked up my 10/22 stock earlier and im borrowing a .920 channeler from a gunsmith at work to scrape up my stock to fit the bet piggy!

Ill post up pix later im in school now

NYMarksman

Here's the 10/22 I built with a 20 inch Black fade to gun metal grey
Wp barrel.
desktop754.jpg

Loader9

Before you haul off and spend the bucks, the action is not a strong platform for supporting a heavy long barrel. There are lots of 10/22's out there with barrel droop from the weight. I'd suggest making sure whatever stock you're going to put it in that you can glass bed the action and barrel as one unit to avoid the issue. I have several with 20" barrels and the next ones will be 16". Might go by rimfirecentral and chat with a few over there about too much weight on the aluminum action. There's also a stainless action available, if you can stand the bucks, that will support the long heavy barrels.

railroader

Loader9, whistle pig barrels are aluminum with a steel liner so they should be quite a bit lighter. Personally I think an 16" or 18" barrel is plenty long for 22lr though. Mark

Lavid2002

Yeah I think im going to bed the first 2 inches of the BBL once it comes in the mail. : ) Just took it apart and cleaned everything (Even the firing pin recess ) hahaha

kiwi56

WP Barrel

Lavid you might want to go over to rimfirecentral for advice on bedding as there are various ways of going about it on the 10-22. With my two 10-22 I am currently fitting them with Volquartsen stainless receivers as they use a collet system for attaching the barrel rather than using the v block. The extra weight of the stainless receiver does not seem to affect quick pointing of the rifle at all.

Lavid2002

Yeah I checked it out. To be honest I really dont want to do a adjustable pressure bedding system. Im going to bed the v-block area and see if it meets my expectations. If not. I have another project : )

gitarmac

Here is my whistlepig barrel. I got it because it was light but it's too light to hold still. I should have guessed that. I figured it would be nice and light for squirrel hunting but I don't really use it for that much.

It can be very accurate though.
orangegun3.jpg

GHILLIE MAN

Here is my whistlepig barrel. I got it because it was light but it's too light to hold still. I should have guessed that. I figured it would be nice and light for squirrel hunting but I don't really use it for that much.

It can be very accurate though.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but what size Whistle Pig barrel is that pictured? 18 inch? :confused:

Ideal Tool

"Whistle Pigs Arn't Marmots!" If you are refering to the eastern Woodchuck, it's latin name is Marmota Monax, sounds like it's in the Marmot family to me, and, if you had ever heard one whistle...