Whidden Gunworks Click Adjustable Sizer 2-Die Set

kilotanker22

Anyone used these dies? The feature set is pretty attractive. Also for the price I would certainly hope that they are good quality

Bart B.

A Forster benchrest die set's FL sizer with its neck honed out to about .002" less than loaded round case neck diameter and their match seater will do as well at under half the price. They hone the neck to your spec for a few dollars

Instead of twisting the Whidden sizer one click, twist the Forster die 1/20th inch in circumference about its lock ring. That changes the die height .001 inch.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/bench-rest-die-sets/

Labeled lock ring on die with .002 inch height change marks spaced 1/10th inch in circumference....

attachment.php

Last edited:

Bart B.

Nick,

The "Atta Boy" trophy was just shipped to you for adding seater labels to your set and posting the link to them. Thanks!!

hounddawg

I am using mine on a Lee classic turret for what it's worth. I stopped overthinking this stuff. I have found my mental and physical prep at the firing line make a lot more difference than anything I do in the reloading room. I let others worry about how many angels can dance on the end of a decapping pin

Nathan

I thought I wanted this, but I think I have that level of precision now. I also wonder if that makes dialing out runout harder due to the eccentric loading?

Bart,

Thanks. I also put together an illustration for one way to make the seating stems work with an RCBS standard die.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RCBS Seater Scale 2.gif
    RCBS Seater Scale 2.gif
    34.1 KB · Views: 107

oley55

OK, I'll bite. Can anyone point me to a place to download printable versions of these incremental labels?

Bart B.

OK, I'll bite. Can anyone point me to a place to download printable versions of these incremental labels?
The link is in post #4.

If your resized cases have a thousandth or two spread of shoulder setback or head to shoulder dimension, I doubt it'll effect accuracy unless your biggest groups are about 2/10 MOA extreme spread.

Last edited:

kilotanker22

Very nice Unclenick!! Thank you for posting that.

I have put together some excellent loads with standard RCBS die sets. I have found thaat the press also makes a very big difference in how consistent the die sizes the cases. For example with The Lee press I have, It is not a surprise to see a .002-.004" difference in head space unless I either run the cases through the die more than once. Or as you suggested in my other thread, Letting the ram rest at the top of the stroke for awhile does better, but still see .002" difference very regularly. With the Rock Chucker press, I rarely see more than .001" difference in head space after sizing a case. The Rock Chucker is just way more rigid and I think has a lot more mechanical advantage.

My problem with the RCBS standard dies has been adjusting them in a way that is not over done or too little. Your attachment will be very helpful for me.

kilotanker22

Bart, The problem I have with a.002" variance in shoulder position is that I am only backing the shoulder off .002" some are long and some are short with the press that I have been using as an experiment. With the Savage rifle these are being fired in, if my shoulder position is backed off less than .002" I get resistance closing the bolt on those cases and not on the others. It is my opinion that resistance closing the bolt on some and not others is not gonna help my accuracy.

kilotanker22

With the Standard RCBS FL die I have been using, if I have contact of the shell holder and base of die at the top of the stroke while sizing a case. That moves my shoulder position back .005" from fire forming. With the comparator insert I have been using (Hornady .400") fire formed I get a measurement of 1.537". Contact between the shell holder and base of die gives me a measurement of 1.532". Coincidentally all of the Winchester OTM Range ammunition I have has a measurement of 1.532".

When I completely resize the case like that my groups open up a bit.

I am really leaning toward the Forster dies. I really like the expander setup on the Forster Benchrest FL Die

Bart B.

Kilotanker22,

My mention of a .002" spread referred to an allowable range of case measurements. If the average shoulder setback is .002", that spread from. 003" to .001" is good.

Note your measurements are probably relative, not actual. A 308 Winchester GO headspace gauge is 1.630" . The Hornady gauge reference diameter of .400" is a few thousandths deeper in the gauge than the flat you zero it on. I've no idea why your 1.532" reading is in obtained as it's near a tenth of an inch off than I would expect. A reading about 1.62X" is what I would expect if the die touches the shellholder when sizing. The full length sizing die headspace is typically only .005" less than the GO headspace gauge 1.630" dimension.

Last edited:

kilotanker22

Kilotanker22,

My mention of a .002" spread referred to an allowable range of case measurements. If the average shoulder setback is .002", that spread from. 003" to .001" is good.

Note your measurements are probably relative, not actual. A 308 Winchester GO headspace gauge is 1.630" . The Hornady gauge reference diameter of .400" is a few thousandths deeper in the gauge than the flat you zero it on. I've no idea why your 1.532" reading is in obtained as it's near a tenth of an inch off than I would expect. A reading about 1.62X" is what I would expect if the die touches the shellholder when sizing. The full length sizing die headspace is typically only .005" less than the GO headspace gauge 1.630" dimension.
This is for 6.5 Creedmoor not .308